Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2012, 10:16 AM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
As with all software the price is only one of the factors. It is that somewhat intangible 'useability' that matters. Is it bloatware which tries to do everything and which will constantly annoy you by forcing you to do things in a certain way ? Do you have to spend hours trying to figure out how to do a relatively simple task ?
You've just described Silkypix-- or at least the last version that I tried-- to a tee. Barely translated from the Japanese, confusing help, poor layout, and slow!

Lightroom 4.1 full version: $149
Aperture 3.3 full version: $80
DXO Standard*: $99 (normally $169.)
DXO Elite: $199 (normally $299, but doesn't appear to support any camera made by Pentax anyway.)
Capture One Pro: $179
Aftershot Pro (formerly Bibble Pro): $60.

Note, these are all FULL, NON UPGRADE prices. Admittedly, some of them are limited time promotions, but all of them are significantly cheaper than the quoted Silkypix upgrade price.

I am genuinely curious, as it has been several years since I played with Silkypix-- what does it bring to the table that the others can't compete with?

06-27-2012, 11:09 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mister Horrible Quote
I am genuinely curious, as it has been several years since I played with Silkypix-- what does it bring to the table that the others can't compete with?
It does what I want to do, predictably, reliably and fast. Once I'd figured out the interface I've found it very intuitive. And I like the look of the resulting images. I've tried the others and did not like them for a variety of reasons. Just a personal opinion, I do agree that Silkypix is overpriced.
06-27-2012, 07:02 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
No, it doesn't. It picks up colour balance and highlight compression only. Auto exposure is usually very close to the in-camera value. Auto colour balance tends to be a bit on the yellow side for my liking, for some reason the Japanese like it so. Noise reduction is set according to ISO and camera model.

Silkypix is good but whether it is $272 good is debatable. I use it because it has just the right balance between tweakiness and too many nerdy options (such as RawTherapee). It also runs happily and fast on my 6-core 32bit XP system. Try the free 30 day trial.

Thanks for the information.
Looks like I stick to PDCU for now, though I'm beginning to feel its limitations.
06-27-2012, 07:14 PM   #19

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mister Horrible Quote
You've just described Silkypix-- or at least the last version that I tried-- to a tee. Barely translated from the Japanese, confusing help, poor layout, and slow!

Lightroom 4.1 full version: $149
Aperture 3.3 full version: $80
DXO Standard*: $99 (normally $169.)
DXO Elite: $199 (normally $299, but doesn't appear to support any camera made by Pentax anyway.)
Capture One Pro: $179
Aftershot Pro (formerly Bibble Pro): $60.

Note, these are all FULL, NON UPGRADE prices. Admittedly, some of them are limited time promotions, but all of them are significantly cheaper than the quoted Silkypix upgrade price.

I'm on the path of learning to take the best pictures I can before I even think about looking into post processing, but at times I wouldn't mind a program that would "sharpen" some of my pictures. When I say "sharpen", I mean unsharp mask, or smart sharpen. Which of these programs are the easiest for just this feature? I currently have iPhoto and the OEM Pentax silkypix.
Thanks.

06-28-2012, 05:04 AM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by usmcxm35 Quote
I'm on the path of learning to take the best pictures I can before I even think about looking into post processing, but at times I wouldn't mind a program that would "sharpen" some of my pictures. When I say "sharpen", I mean unsharp mask, or smart sharpen. Which of these programs are the easiest for just this feature? I currently have iPhoto and the OEM Pentax silkypix.
Thanks.
Lightroom and Aperture (if you have a Mac) have very nice global and regional sharpening.

The others have sharpening as well, but I haven't used them as much and can't comment.

Bibble (now Aftershot) had the weakest sharpening built in, but a number of plugins to enhance or replace the built in sharpening.

Just about everybody has free trials so you can try before you buy.