Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveBlack Quote
Q2 :-)

Dave
You mean FF Q.
05-30-2012, 12:29 AM   #33
Veteran Member

OK, if this was about a camera something should have leaked by now?
05-30-2012, 12:42 AM   #34
Veteran Member

IF they announce and LXD I can sell my D800E right away and forget about buying lenses... Yaaay! It's a freaking nightmare finding decent lenses for this camera.

..or perhaps they have just got April mixed up with June.

05-30-2012, 06:00 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
IF they announce and LXD I can sell my D800E right away and forget about buying lenses... Yaaay! It's a freaking nightmare finding decent lenses for this camera.

..or perhaps they have just got April mixed up with June.

I doubt it wil be anything too juicy for us down here so you might as well start.
Just browsing through DCW's listing as they're usually pretty reliable.

AF-S 14-24 f/2.8G ED,
AF-S 24-70 f/2.8G ED
AF-S 70-200 f/2.8G ED.
These 3 should get you covered to begin with and then and probably a nice AF-S 85mm f/1.4G portrait lens is essential.

As a starting point, these 4 for a just a bit over $9K total ! (bargain)

Something wide like a "full frame DA15" you could get an AF-S 24mm f/1.4G ED -with a bonus 2-1/2 stop of speed but it comes at a price, its $2.5K
The new AF-S 35mm f/1.4 is pretty well rated and the price leader in this group $1860.

If you want a macro i hear the AF-S 200mm f/4 is a winner and internal focusing so that's plus, for serious macro and just $2K, sounds alright.

And for something longer there is plenty to chose from if you don't mind spending a bit more serious sort of money.

Now I know why I didn't buy a D300 when looking at it a few years back.

Still it a much smarter move than buying Facebook shares.
05-30-2012, 07:51 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Will not be another entry level camera as K-30 already announced.
Will not be K5 replacement as K-30 just announced, will make more sense after several months after K-30 sale.
K-01 replacement, too early.

What is left is Q replacement, but not sure if Q replacement qualify as big news for Pentax.

I'll put my bet on a Ricoh GXR K-mount.

Lee
05-30-2012, 08:06 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote
I doubt it wil be anything too juicy for us down here so you might as well start.
Just browsing through DCW's listing as they're usually pretty reliable.

AF-S 14-24 f/2.8G ED,
AF-S 24-70 f/2.8G ED
AF-S 70-200 f/2.8G ED.
These 3 should get you covered to begin with and then and probably a nice AF-S 85mm f/1.4G portrait lens is essential.

As a starting point, these 4 for a just a bit over $9K total ! (bargain)

Something wide like a "full frame DA15" you could get an AF-S 24mm f/1.4G ED -with a bonus 2-1/2 stop of speed but it comes at a price, its $2.5K
The new AF-S 35mm f/1.4 is pretty well rated and the price leader in this group $1860.

If you want a macro i hear the AF-S 200mm f/4 is a winner and internal focusing so that's plus, for serious macro and just $2K, sounds alright.

And for something longer there is plenty to chose from if you don't mind spending a bit more serious sort of money.

Now I know why I didn't buy a D300 when looking at it a few years back.

Still it a much smarter move than buying Facebook shares.
Wow! Thanks for the great tips. I'll get on it as soon as I win the lottery.

All of the lenses you mention fall short on the D800 but they were cool on lesser sensors.

The Full Frame 15 you mentioned wouls be the Zeiss 21/2.8 that I will buy tomorrow.. I'll be looking for a Samsung 35/1.4 ASAP or perhaps I should dip into my limitless supply of money and just buy everything... hmm..

Even though you're taking the piss out of me I thank you for your advice...

Last edited by bossa; 05-30-2012 at 08:13 AM.
05-30-2012, 08:03 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Wow! Thanks for the great tips. I'll get on it as soon as I win the lottery.

All of the lenses you mention fall short on the D800 but they were cool on lesser sensors.

The Full Frame 15 you mentioned wouls be the Zeiss 21/2.8 that I will buy tomorrow.. I'll be looking for a Samsung 35/1.4 ASAP or perhaps I should dip into my limitless supply of money and just buy everything... hmm..

Even though you're taking the piss out of me I thank you for your advice...
But of course... always like to help others more fortunate than myself who have the means and the skill to exploit a D800, and it's the "E" model no less, Who else has one of those? I think Thomas("Duplo") is the only other person on the planet with one.

Nikkor lenses not good enough for the D800E ?!, looks like I'm not qualified to give advice on lenses unless you were to downgrade to a D700 or a D4.

Those 3 zooms I think are referred to as "the Hebrew Trinity of zoom lenses" by some guy with a funny ('Fro) haircut on youtube, mind you, he's probably paid to say that. Still probably better advice than the aisan guy in Hong Kong with the Bwitish accent or god forbid K&n R*#&well.

As you prefer primes there is the "Zeiss - lens bundle" of 5 prime lenses in a waterproof foam lined carry case.
CZ T* 21mm f2.8, T* 28mm f2, T* 35mm f2, T* 50mm f1.4 and a T* 85mm f1.4 however you'd probably like to swap out the 35mm f2 for the 35mm f1.4 and add in the 100 f2 makro.

Sorry, this is probably not helpful at all, just that the thread was getting boring as it becomes increasingly like that the June 1 Spain thing will be nothing. (besides I was a bit bored, have the flu, and nothing good on telly last night)

the latest word from mirrorlessrumours.com is:
" They will announce some kind of local news that will definitely not be exciting "
05-30-2012, 08:39 PM   #39
Veteran Member

You're being an absolute dick and I'd prefer you don't respond to any of my posts.

You also have no idea as to my financial and artistic capabilities (it's really none of your business) and your sarcasm is really only reflecting badly on you.

My original post was meant to be a joke... nothing to get all steamed up about.

Last edited by bossa; 05-30-2012 at 08:47 PM.
05-30-2012, 11:16 PM   #40
Veteran Member

You're being an absolute dick and I'd prefer you don't respond to any of my posts.

You also have no idea as to my financial and artistic capabilities (it's really none of your business) and your sarcasm is really only reflecting badly on you.

My original post was meant to be a joke... nothing to get all steamed up about.

Sorry Steve, I wasnt being sarcastic, apologies if it read that way. I do understand that you were joking (from your initial suggestion you'd sell the D800) I was trying keep up the humorous theme from my earlier post of lens suggestions,
Not getting steamed up. Frankly, I'm a little shocked you saw it that way. Honestly not malice intended. Sincere apologies if it came across in that fashion.

The first paragraph was actually meant to be a compliment. Your D800e from what I read is the best DSLR out there period.
Another owner told me, and I quote "The D800e is a rather impressive performer and a real shake up of what 35mm digital was supposed to be able to deliver. I do not expect more than 5 MF shootings this year because of the performance it delivers."
I'm pretty sure to get the best out of it would require some serious talent both on a technical and artistic level. It's not my place to judge you but I will say, having seen some of your earlier photos in other threads, very impressive among many other talented photographers.

As for the lest few paragraphs of my last post, well maybe that was just silly pointless babble, please ignore it.
Note to self: do not post on forums when bored and under the influence of cold and flu medication.

Cheers
Steve
05-31-2012, 12:35 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote
Sorry Steve, I wasnt being sarcastic, apologies if it read that way. I do understand that you were joking (from your initial suggestion you'd sell the D800) I was trying keep up the humorous theme from my earlier post of lens suggestions,
Not getting steamed up. Frankly, I'm a little shocked you saw it that way. Honestly not malice intended. Sincere apologies if it came across in that fashion.

The first paragraph was actually meant to be a compliment. Your D800e from what I read is the best DSLR out there period.
Another owner told me, and I quote "The D800e is a rather impressive performer and a real shake up of what 35mm digital was supposed to be able to deliver. I do not expect more than 5 MF shootings this year because of the performance it delivers."
I'm pretty sure to get the best out of it would require some serious talent both on a technical and artistic level. It's not my place to judge you but I will say, having seen some of your earlier photos in other threads, very impressive among many other talented photographers.

As for the lest few paragraphs of my last post, well maybe that was just silly pointless babble, please ignore it.
Note to self: do not post on forums when bored and under the influence of cold and flu medication.

Cheers
Steve
I appreciate your reply.

It appeared to me like you were judging whether I 'deserved' a D800E for artistic reasons rather than merely because having some money I could buy one.

I'm a painter and guitarist and I have paintings in national collections here in OZ as well as private. I have a fine arts degree in Painting but that doesn't make me a decent photographer. I gave up art to play guitar for a living years ago but because of a few health issues, and looking after my 82yo mother, I wanted to get back into Art or I'd go nuts.

My reaction to your post is probably influenced by guilt as I don't feel worthy of this camera as I've already got some decent gear that's good enough for what I do with my limited expertise.

When you look at my signature it probably looks like I'm a spoiled twat when in fact I'm in debt and on a limited income as carer for my aged mother. My getting back into photography was meant to be a small part towards going back to Painting (Art) but it's got out of hand and I need to get some lenses for this D800E so I can sell of my Pentax stuff.

PS: Lenses that were great on D700 and D3x etc are not necessarily that good on a D800/E. The 24-70 and 14-24 are really soft in the corners but I still like them. The 70-200 VR2 is great but the one I tried had pretty bad CA out toward the edges.. and not just a little bit either. That lens also rendered a white halos around bright objects but you really had to peep to see them. I'm not sure if it's the Nano coating causing that but it didn't look all that great for 3 grand.

It's hard finding optics that can live up to the camera.

Last edited by bossa; 05-31-2012 at 12:56 AM.
05-31-2012, 05:12 AM   #42
Veteran Member

I appreciate your reply.

It appeared to me like you were judging whether I 'deserved' a D800E for artistic reasons rather than merely because having some money I could buy one.

I'm a painter and guitarist and I have paintings in national collections here in OZ as well as private. I have a fine arts degree in Painting but that doesn't make me a decent photographer. I gave up art to play guitar for a living years ago but because of a few health issues, and looking after my 82yo mother, I wanted to get back into Art or I'd go nuts.

My reaction to your post is probably influenced by guilt as I don't feel worthy of this camera as I've already got some decent gear that's good enough for what I do with my limited expertise.

When you look at my signature it probably looks like I'm a spoiled twat when in fact I'm in debt and on a limited income as carer for my aged mother. My getting back into photography was meant to be a small part towards going back to Painting (Art) but it's got out of hand and I need to get some lenses for this D800E so I can sell of my Pentax stuff.

PS: Lenses that were great on D700 and D3x etc are not necessarily that good on a D800/E. The 24-70 and 14-24 are really soft in the corners but I still like them. The 70-200 VR2 is great but the one I tried had pretty bad CA out toward the edges.. and not just a little bit either. That lens also rendered a white halos around bright objects but you really had to peep to see them. I'm not sure if it's the Nano coating causing that but it didn't look all that great for 3 grand.

It's hard finding optics that can live up to the camera.

Man the D800e is turning into the camera of painters. Same camera my cousin recently got (he is in the MOMA and the National gallery here, and a few other places) he uses his to produce macros that are worlds withing his abstracts (using the 105 2.8 macro) - from the two 6 foot prints i've seen from the combo I have to say it's pretty damn impressive combination (compared to the same lens and a d3x on a few other prints)

You've tried some of the "official" list Nikon put out AFAIK so I won't point you in that direction.
05-31-2012, 06:35 AM   #43
Veteran Member

WOW What a change in the subject from Spain to Nikon
05-31-2012, 06:48 AM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
WOW What a change in the subject from Spain to Nikon
Why is it that every thread turns into a Nikon thread these days? We need a 100mp Pentax 645D2 to make the D800 look utterly boring - quick!
05-31-2012, 06:53 AM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
yep the perfect time to announce the LXD, but history will require it not be available until the following year
IIRC the LX (Roman numerals for 60) was introduced 61 years after the founding of Asahi Optical Co., "in honor of" the 60th anniversary of the founding.

Thus first half of 2013 would be perfectly consistent with history.