Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2012, 06:45 PM   #16
D0n
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by ENicolas Quote
The problem with the K-01 isn't Newson, it's really the F mount. As long as they keep the F mount they will never be able to make it small enough to really compete with the likes of the Sony NEX line. It will have to have that big space between the rear element and the sensor.

And I thought the "official rumor" is they are discontinuing the Q line?
if they cancel the Q then what would they do with the EF mount?

05-31-2012, 06:49 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As long as they keep the F mount they will never be able to make it small enough to really compete with the likes of the Sony NEX line. It will have to have that big space between the rear element and the sensor. And I thought the "official rumor" is they are discontinuing the Q line?
I don't see the Q line getting cancelled anytime. Even the Auto110 had a model or two after it. The Q is a breakthrough in mirrorless compacts - tinier than the Oly PEN. Wait, what F mount? I thought that was Nikon's? How can Pentax cancel that line... (FD, EF, is Canon right?)
05-31-2012, 06:54 PM   #18
D0n
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
I don't see the Q line getting cancelled anytime. Even the Auto110 had a model or two after it. The Q is a breakthrough in mirrorless compacts - tinier than the Oly PEN. Wait, what F mount? I thought that was Nikon's? How can Pentax cancel that line... (FD, EF, is Canon right?)
well if pentax is gonna get rid of nikons mount they might as well get rid of canons too..lol!
05-31-2012, 10:34 PM   #19
Veteran Member

The problem with the K-01 isn't Newson, it's really the F mount. As long as they keep the F mount they will never be able to make it small enough to really compete with the likes of the Sony NEX line. It will have to have that big space between the rear element and the sensor.

I agree, a great deal of customers aren't savvy enough to distinguish between camera volume and system volume.

06-05-2012, 03:42 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You know this topic was supposed to be about a 360 degree camera....

Slap a k-5 sensor in it and they might have something. If its just a small sensor...we'll....meh.....

As someone that shoots a lot of panos, I'm interested.
06-05-2012, 04:00 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D0n Quote
the easy way to to do a 360 pano with stills or video is a simple egg timer and a gopro...

but a I believe a k-01 in a lighter, cheaper plastic body more conservatively styled will sell big time...
I suspect i will lose the mic jack and battery from the k-01 and instead have the same battery options as the k30.
this just plain makes sense..
What about the gigapan? That can do 360 can't it? I think its pretty much going to pay for itself if I ever get one. Heck a used one would pay for itself with the first panorama. It doesn't get much easier than setting a start and stop point and pressing a button. I still find shooting them manually somewhat pleasing, but very time consuming. I never even bothered with an L adapter. Even with the lens off center, giving massive overlap seems to compensate. I've also shot them from the hip, which is easy to do in daylight and good shutter. Speeds. I've done a lot with very limited means over the years....

I think panos are a great way to boost resolution and create huge and wide files. You can make huge prints with simple horizontal panos.....imagine 645 panos.....*drool*
06-06-2012, 06:42 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zosxavius Quote
You know this topic was supposed to be about a 360 degree camera....

Slap a k-5 sensor in it and they might have something. If its just a small sensor...we'll....meh.....

As someone that shoots a lot of panos, I'm interested.
Problem with that set up is that as soon as it comes out people around here will start to complain about how the sensor is not FF, and that it should cover 540 degrees of view instead of 360.
06-06-2012, 06:43 AM   #23
D0n
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
Problem with that set up is that as soon as it comes out people around here will start to complain about how the sensor is not FF, and that it should cover 540 degrees of view instead of 360.
and priced under twenty dollars...lol!

06-06-2012, 08:06 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I saw a piece about a research lab developing a spherical lens - how they captured the image I don't remember. I thought it was extremely cool, though I would really have to think about what I'd do with such a thing.
06-06-2012, 08:17 AM - 1 Like   #25
D0n
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
I saw a piece about a research lab developing a spherical lens - how they captured the image I don't remember. I thought it was extremely cool, though I would really have to think about what I'd do with such a thing.
try this:
get a cheap solar patio lantern and open it up... if inside you find a semi-spherical mirror, remove the mirror, mount it into a clear plastic tube or cup and mount that over your lens and point it straight up... I did this with my 100mm macro lens... and shot a 360 deg image off the mirror..
06-06-2012, 08:20 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

May as well get rid of the EF and Alpha mounts while they are at it

as for the Q you do relaise there are new lenses on the roadmap that likely will appear at Photkina. doesn't sound like a system headed for the scrap heap. It sold very well in Asia which was the target market, and reasonably well in the rest of the world. If you've never tried one you should, i was very impressed (and if JEzza323 didn't beat me out on a local one on CL I would own it myself)
06-06-2012, 08:45 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

CAVE | Projects: True Spherical Camera

I think that's the group I had read about.
06-06-2012, 02:39 PM   #28
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonto Quote
Most likely to be Q2, with Ricoh input
After looking Ricoh's first input in Pentax for the K30, I really like what I'm seeing and looking forward.

As for the 360 camera, I think it maybe something like what google maps uses for the street views. Like D0n said, a camera that shoots vertical and do a 360 degree panorama of the sky and horizon. They're developing it, but maybe not for the public.
06-06-2012, 03:56 PM   #29
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D0n Quote
try this: get a cheap solar patio lantern and open it up... if inside you find a semi-spherical mirror, remove the mirror, mount it into a clear plastic tube or cup and mount that over your lens and point it straight up... I did this with my 100mm macro lens... and shot a 360 deg image off the mirror

Or a silver coated Christmas tree ornament
06-07-2012, 03:27 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

360 degrees in all directions should mean a glass sphere...so it should be water proof as a bonus...but how to change battery and SD card???