Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2008, 09:56 AM   #61
Busiko

QuoteOriginally posted by quarc Quote
I have speculated a lot around Pentax will use the fact they can move the sensor to allow for multishot with increased resolution as a consequence. You would not even have to move the sensor, just detect the motion of the camera, surely that will move half a pixel even on a tripod.

Then I thought of moving the sensor back and forth to achive focus bracketing without having to refocus the lens, which would be slow.

And after reading some comments on AF I realised they will of course use it for utra quick AF. Why refocus the lens, when you can move the sensor in a fraction of the time. I think they could achive something like the 1.7x AF converter, providing AF with ALL lenses, even old one. Yes you would need to focus roughly manually, but then to keep the object in focus the camera could keep the sensor in focus. I dare say if they have power enough in the camera to quickly identify focus on the sensor, Pentax would have the fastest AF of any camera provider by a factor of 10 or so. But maybe that will be the K1? ;-)
Focusing could be better done using their new technology like this:

" A pattern matching system that determines whether or not a plurality of images matches each other, and a targeted object pursuit system that pursues the movement of a specified targeted object within a plurality of images captured sequentially using the above pattern matching system. "

01-21-2008, 09:57 AM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
The Nikon screen is around 307,000 pixels (RGB = 922,000)

This 2.7" screen is very competitive with that resolution and Samsung produces both screens AFAIK.

Plus this screen has an ability that the nikon screen doesn't , which is why Pentax went with it.

These numbers are for effective pixels while Nikon gives you data for ALL pixels (RGB).

These specs are just rough numbers that don't show the whole pictures and it's worth the $1300 price tag when everyone sees the whole picture.
Mmm OLED display, touch display?, moving display " la E3" ... mmm a couple possibilities here...
01-21-2008, 10:02 AM   #63

QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
The Nikon screen is around 307,000 pixels (RGB = 922,000)

This 2.7" screen is very competitive with that resolution and Samsung produces both screens AFAIK.

Plus this screen has an ability that the nikon screen doesn't , which is why Pentax went with it.

These numbers are for effective pixels while Nikon gives you data for ALL pixels (RGB).

These specs are just rough numbers that don't show the whole pictures and it's worth the $1300 price tag when everyone sees the whole picture.

No, the 2.7" 230kpixel screens are also counted by sub-pixels, just like the 2.5" screens used currently (And so are actually 76,800 pixels, 320x240 resolution), and offer half the resolution of the Nikon/Sony 3" 922K screens which are 640x480.
01-21-2008, 10:03 AM   #64
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Mmm OLED display, touch display?, moving display " la E3" ... mmm a couple possibilities here...
Yes, I'm thinking almost certainly an OLED rear screen...

01-21-2008, 10:05 AM   #65

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
Sure, who cares about image quality right?
You can already determine the price point just by the few specs we have?

As for the LCD, 40D has the low res rear LCD as well.
I care about IQ, but the difference between the $999 pricepoint and the $13-1400 pricepoint hasn't been IQ in a long time, it's been fps, shutter, buffer and build. And since we can expect $999 cameras with similar IQ to the D300 and A700 to arrive soon from Nikon and Sony, this is an issue. Pentax will need something earth-shaking to sell a 3fps body with the K10D's shutter for $1300. And if the rumours are correct and it's HD video, that's not earth-shaking (in fact it would be IMHO dumb).

As to the 40D, it's also got the ISO3200 limitation that I was complaining about. Canon should have launched the 40D months earlier, it was only really interesting until the A700 launched and brought ISO6400 and high-res displays down to the $1400 pricepoint. Having had the chance to shoot with the A700 and the 40D extensively, I'm of the opinion that the 40D is simply not competitive with the A700. Poorer handling, lower ISO ceiling, craptacular rear LCD (230K 2.5" screens are nicer than similar resolution 3" screens, due to the less obvious sub-pixels).

Last edited by mawz; 01-21-2008 at 10:12 AM.
01-21-2008, 10:06 AM   #66

QuoteOriginally posted by Duck Dodgers Quote
Yes, I'm thinking almost certainly an OLED rear screen...
At half the resolution of the 922k 640x480 LCD's, I'm not really caring if it's OLED. Now a 2.7" 640x480 OLED screen would be another thing. I'd take a 2.7" OLED screen over a same resolution 3" LCD.
01-21-2008, 12:27 PM   #67

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Busiko Quote
Focusing could be better done using their new technology like this:

" A pattern matching system that determines whether or not a plurality of images matches each other, and a targeted object pursuit system that pursues the movement of a specified targeted object within a plurality of images captured sequentially using the above pattern matching system. "
I think that is more about how to detect focus, but to create focus, moving the sensor must be quicker that to move the lens.