Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2012, 09:52 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Apparently no one anywhere around me has ever heard of Pentax.

Someone said to me "Oh I love the color and quality! I have to know what camera that was Nikon or Canon!"

I reply "Neither, I shoot Pentax."

They were lost. "I will have to look up Pentax."

This made me sad, I think I actually teared up a little at the lack of presence Pentax has here in the states.

06-13-2012, 10:08 AM   #17
Forum Member

well it was tucked away behind a escalator in an asian mall so it could well be dated.
06-13-2012, 10:10 AM   #18
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisTrevino Quote
Apparently no one anywhere around me has ever heard of Pentax.

Someone said to me "Oh I love the color and quality! I have to know what camera that was Nikon or Canon!"

I reply "Neither, I shoot Pentax."

They were lost. "I will have to look up Pentax."

This made me sad, I think I actually teared up a little at the lack of presence Pentax has here in the states.
that sounds like me but reversed... when they start firing off d this and t that, i go oh? is that full frame? i have to read more about canon and nikon but atm my k5, mx, and z-1p do me fine.
06-13-2012, 12:27 PM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by jmschrei Quote
I don't know if anyone else has seen this but I just opened my daily paper and in with all the flyers I found a full colour Pentax Ricoh flyer featuring a bright yellow K-01 on the cover! It is a bright parade of the Pentax Ricoh line up from cameras to scopes and binoculars including a nice group shot of the current lens line up. Nothing new of course but a much more high profile presence just before Father's Day. Our best local Camera store is also prominently featuring a Pentax sponsored photo contest on its home page. I have not seen this level of promotion for the brand in years, that has to be a positive thing.
Yes! My co-worker brought me the Pentax/Ricoh flyer on Monday. Sorry for the lousy shots.

06-13-2012, 12:34 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
30+ year old billboard that never changes
You mean that one you see from the Gardiner? They changed it once....
06-13-2012, 12:35 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

They have the Ricoh's in there. WOW there has been no distribution in Canada for quite some time. Very interesting
The web site of course is useless for this stuff, without even mention of Ricoh product (though obviously they have brought it in)
06-13-2012, 12:35 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You mean that one you see from the Gardiner? They changed it once....
the DVP one it's around the corner from me
07-11-2012, 02:32 AM   #23

Pentax DVP

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
the DVP one it's around the corner from me
Hey eddie1960, I noticed a few weeks ago that the billboard is gone.

Considering how long that Pentax logo was up there do you think they own the ad space, and if so any hope for a new one to be put up?

I sure hope so I remember seeing that coming into the city ever since I was a little kid, and was a nostalgic kind of thing for me!

07-11-2012, 04:56 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zaphodmonster Quote
Hey eddie1960, I noticed a few weeks ago that the billboard is gone.

Considering how long that Pentax logo was up there do you think they own the ad space, and if so any hope for a new one to be put up?

I sure hope so I remember seeing that coming into the city ever since I was a little kid, and was a nostalgic kind of thing for me!
I'll have to look tonight, I hadn't noticed. It's been there so long I really don't even notice it anymore. Maybe there is a more flashy one on the way, or maybe they had a long term lease on the board that they decided not to renew
07-11-2012, 05:26 AM   #25

Maybe there is a more flashy one on the way, or maybe they had a long term lease on the board that they decided not to renew
I sure hope that they replace with it something new, I love that sign! (what a weird thing to say about an advert lol) As it was it was really out of date since it still said 'medical imaging' so its probably better off even if they don't replace it.
07-11-2012, 06:03 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zaphodmonster Quote
I sure hope that they replace with it something new, I love that sign! (what a weird thing to say about an advert lol) As it was it was really out of date since it still said 'medical imaging' so its probably better off even if they don't replace it.
Well they still do Medical Imaging unsder the Brand over at HOYA AFAIK, so just send Hoya part of the bill
07-11-2012, 06:23 AM   #27
Pentaxian

I'll have to look tonight, I hadn't noticed. It's been there so long I really don't even notice it anymore. Maybe there is a more flashy one on the way, or maybe they had a long term lease on the board that they decided not to renew
If it's been there so long that you didn't notice it anymore, it needed to be replaced - if not by another one in the same space then by another ad channel.
07-11-2012, 06:28 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
If it's been there so long that you didn't notice it anymore, it needed to be replaced - if not by another one in the same space then by another ad channel.
I agree, It lost it's value a long time ago because it never changed, it became part of the landscape. for people coming down the highway at 100+ KPH you need to change it occasionally without making it so complex they can't pick up the message (a fault a number of billboards seem to suffer - they only acheive their goal in rush hour when everyone is crawling along)
07-11-2012, 01:53 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JenniferLeigh Quote
Yes! My co-worker brought me the Pentax/Ricoh flyer on Monday. Sorry for the lousy shots.

Thanks for the pics. This sort of illustrates the problem they are going to have with two separate brands as it looks like two separate companies when they keep both brand names.

Is it Pentax - A Ricoh Company? So then Pentax sells Ricoh cameras? Or are they Ricoh selling Pentax cameras as well as their own Ricohs? Or are they all Ricoh cameras, just some of them are branded Pentax like the Ricoh company? Is a Pentax camera more upmarket than a Ricoh one, or vice versa? How are they different, why are they different, why have two names?

Maybe that's a good thing if they're different markets. One for the pros, one for the niche as per the other thread on the subject. But then the point of advertising them together like this is lost anyway.

PS. It does look an impressively healthy line-up of products when assembled all together like this on one page, ie not at all like a camera company on the ropes as a lot of people keep insisting. I'm sure those who are unaware of the camera industry would look at this with untainted eyes and think it's a retailer's catalogue as there appears to be so much choice.
07-12-2012, 05:19 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by anthony mazzeri Quote
Thanks for the pics. This sort of illustrates the problem they are going to have with two separate brands as it looks like two separate companies when they keep both brand names.

Is it Pentax - A Ricoh Company? So then Pentax sells Ricoh cameras? Or are they Ricoh selling Pentax cameras as well as their own Ricohs? Or are they all Ricoh cameras, just some of them are branded Pentax like the Ricoh company? Is a Pentax camera more upmarket than a Ricoh one, or vice versa? How are they different, why are they different, why have two names?

Maybe that's a good thing if they're different markets. One for the pros, one for the niche as per the other thread on the subject. But then the point of advertising them together like this is lost anyway.

PS. It does look an impressively healthy line-up of products when assembled all together like this on one page, ie not at all like a camera company on the ropes as a lot of people keep insisting. I'm sure those who are unaware of the camera industry would look at this with untainted eyes and think it's a retailer's catalogue as there appears to be so much choice.
I saw that add too.

the dual brand strategy has it's benefits. look at best buy and future shop in Canada. Same company, but they each address the mass market from different angles and capture more share by doing so.