Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2012, 01:58 PM   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by parsons Quote
would the focus assist lamp be sufficient?
Yes it does, but here also faster lenses perform better. For inside I think that bAF-assist light would be in use always and without no proper working AF.

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
As Mistral quoted, 4.3cm of the retracted 7" lens length has to fit within the body (and within the K mount) of the K01. Probably doesn't provide enough diameter for a faster telescopic lens.
Maybe you are right and not having enough space is the biggest limitation.

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I'll just bet that at 55mm it's f/5.6. So it's the old kit lens, stretched a little, still obeying the same damn laws of optics. If a zoom stop was placed at 55mm, it's essentially the DA18-55/3.5-5.6 but with its gutz inside the mirrorbox space.
It probably is already 55mm/f6.3 or f6.7 like that other lens design. As long as it is a sharp lens that would be okay, but still way to slow.

06-13-2012, 03:35 PM   #77

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Maybe you are right and not having enough space is the biggest limitation.
So much for the benefit of having a K-mount mirrorless! You can use all of your old lenses without adapter and new lenses can go into the old mirror box! They'll be slow as molasses but it'll be brilliant!
06-13-2012, 04:47 PM   #78
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
Do Pentax RAW files contain extra information?

I did a quick test with a K-7 image and:

PDCU gives me: 4672 x 3104
dcraw gives me: 4684 x 3122 - and there is extra information in that difference
dxomark describes the K-7 sensor as having 4736 x 3136

So extra information is there - the question is how much there is and how to get at it.
DxO mark is an outlier among websites. Most quote the official figure from the K-7's manual: 4672x3104

Have you tried both PEF and DNG raw files with your dcraw software? It might have trouble reading PEF raw files (as I suspect whatever DxO Mark was using did)
06-13-2012, 07:07 PM   #79
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RXrenesis8 Quote
DxO mark is an outlier among websites. Most quote the official figure from the K-7's manual: 4672x3104
The manual tells the output that Pentax decided to extract from the sensor. dxomark may quote what their software pulls out - unlike most other websites, they know how to demosaic a RAW file.

QuoteOriginally posted by RXrenesis8 Quote
Have you tried both PEF and DNG raw files with your dcraw software? It might have trouble reading PEF raw files (as I suspect whatever DxO Mark was using did)
Thanks for the reminder - I forgot to mention, but those numbers that I posted were based on a DNG RAW file. And the dcraw version that I used was 9.03.

06-13-2012, 07:24 PM   #80
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
dxomark may quote what their software pulls out - unlike most other websites, they know how to demosaic a RAW file.
Actually, on second look, their numbers seem to correspond to the number of photosites: 4736 x 3136 = 14,852,096 and they give the number of photosites as 14.85.

They say pixel pitch is 4.94um so, 4736 x 4.94 = 23,395 um = 23.395 mm, which rounds up nicely to the sensor length: 23.4mm.

So they seem to count the photosites, but then this doesn't work out well in the E-PL2 case which would seem to have even more photosites than dxomark says.
06-22-2012, 02:11 AM   #81
Forum Member

new one
Pentax 16-55mm F3.5-5.6 ?????????????So-net???

Pentax 16-55 f/3.5-5.6
4.81mm backfocus
06-22-2012, 02:18 AM   #82
Veteran Member

IMHO this means that Pentax-Ricoh is *really* committing themselves to mirrorless K-mount... Of course, filing a patent is not the same as manufacturing/releasing the item, but it certainly looks promising. I'm waiting for the K-01's successor though, I really want a good viewfinder.
06-22-2012, 02:31 AM   #83
Veteran Member

Surely they should make some lenses that retract into the body when the camera is off and extend out the rest of the time. The k-01 would look like a huge point and shoot then. Bit like that canon power shot thing (I think).
But it would be much more compact.

06-22-2012, 03:17 AM   #84
Pentaxian

a 16-55 sounds great ! it's wider than all other kit lens, not slower, not faster, and it won't protube too much outside of the K-01 body ... YEEEAH !
06-22-2012, 08:07 AM   #85
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by befocus Quote
new one
Pentax 16-55mm F3.5-5.6 ?????????????So-net???

Pentax 16-55 f/3.5-5.6
4.81mm backfocus
This one looks more promising.

We will see more mirrorless from Pentax-Rocoh in the future for sure.

.... but why haven't they release a K-mount GXR module yet?

I would like to love Pentax mirrorless, but currently I can't see myself holding the K-01... the design just doesn't work for me even though it was a great camera features wise.
06-24-2012, 12:28 PM   #86
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Thanks for the interesting discussion and you make a solid point about how users expect to hold the camera.

I'm not too opposed to the weight if the weight is due to some functional purpose. But i'm a little concerned that the weight of the K01 may be simply due to Newson and/or Pentax not giving it any thought. The K01 has:
a. a built in focusing motor
b. SR in the body
c. flash hotshoe
d. a deeper, larger mount
which probably add some weight, on the other hand, the Nex 5n has
a. a tiltable lcd screen

Mobile phones have gotten incredibly small compared to the rotary phones when i was a kid. In my opinion, gazonk is right - Pentax needs to look at shaving some weight unless its absolutely necessary for some unknown functional purpose. I can even forgive Pentax not worrying about it in the first model year, but to ignore it flies in the face of where many consumers are at. I have a friend who develops back problems (pre-existing condition) after carrying a K5 with lenses around all day while exporing Utah canyons. Recently he has acquired the Nex5n and loves it for the weight. I don't have back problems, but still am envious of the Nex 5n's light weight. I may wait for the next K01 successor to see what happens, or not wait - haven't made up my mind.

Just saying, that for Pentax to ignore size and weight is at their competitive risk - unless they have a reason that they can sell the consumer on.
+1 on the weight. I enjoy the one handed operation (I typically seem to have a young child in my other hand/on my head these days) when using the NEX-5n. There is no reason why a bunch of weight cannot be taken out (see battery comments below) of the K-01.

If I have got two hands free, I disagree with the point Gazonk made above. I will cradle the NEX in the same way I would a dslr, with my palms meeting underneath. The "DMF" focus mode allows me to do something very similar to the "quickshift" OVF technique I use on my K-7, once I have pressed the AF button. Not that different, and very quick.

+1 on the flip screen. I don't think I will buy another camera without one, as being able to operate a camera like a waist-finder, and on the correct angle on a low tripod is great.
The other advantage is the NEX touch screen. For adding a point of focus quickly (press somewhere on the screen), it is easier than pressing buttons to change the focussing point location.

One thing I do think both the K-01, and NEX-5n have got right is battery-life. I am routinely getting over 400 shots without a viewfinder on the NEX-5n. This is one of the reasons I got rid of the E-PL1.

With the compact Sigma lenses now starting to become available for the NEX, and the quality viewfinders becoming available, I think Pentax needs to up it's game. Happy to see some of the lens patents starting to filter through for Zooms.