Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2008, 02:41 AM   #76
Inactive Account

Originally Posted by benjikan
Didn't go near live view for the session...

QuoteOriginally posted by amateur6 Quote
And why would you!? I tells you all, it's a gimmick that doesn't have a place in a professional camera.

It does if you're shooting macros, it also helps for still life. Think plate camera focusing screen rather than P&S at arms length.

Last edited by oxford_artist; 01-22-2008 at 02:43 AM. Reason: Added Ben's quote for clarity
01-22-2008, 03:33 AM   #77
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
There is nothing goofier that watching people with arms fully outstretched peeping at a tiny LCD screen whist supposedly taking pictures. Someone should write a eulogy "To the Death of the Viewfinder."

Want to spend an evening with a new K..D? Here ya go! Mmmmmm Alfredo sauce; now that's new!

01-22-2008, 04:04 AM   #78
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
There is nothing goofier that watching people with arms fully outstretched peeping at a tiny LCD screen whist supposedly taking pictures. Someone should write a eulogy "To the Death of the Viewfinder."

Want to spend an evening with a new K..D? Here ya go! Mmmmmm Alfredo sauce; now that's new!

How come we don't get some of the good stuff over here?
01-22-2008, 04:18 AM   #79
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sirfishalot Quote
I don't think Ben is talking about a K20D here. This sounds like the professional model quite a few of us have been hoping for. I'd say there's no way this thing can be anything less than 10fps. 3 year old Canon 20D technology was at 7fps. This Pentax will have to bring it to be on par with the 1D MkIII!

JayT
Yes I am talking about the range of camera you mentioned in your first line i.e. the evolution of the K10D.

Ben

01-22-2008, 05:06 AM   #80
Veteran Member

Thank you very much for this information Ben. It seems to me tht if the new camera also improves AF speed and accuracy, this camera will be a winner.

Does it use the same battery than the K10D?
01-22-2008, 05:31 AM   #81

QuoteOriginally posted by pgenovese Quote
Hi Ben,

Some time ago you posted a question:

When there is a K?D what will it be like?

I posted a wish list here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/150420-post109.html

How much of this list does your new toy tick off!

Patrick
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Sorry Patrick, I must respect my promise until the embargo is lifted..

Ben

Fair enough you certainly cannot be specific but knowing my wish list will I be a happy camper ? :-)

Naturally It is unreasonable to expect all features to be met but I suppose it is quite obvious what the important ones are.

Regards

Patrick
01-22-2008, 05:45 AM   #82
Inactive Account

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD - I MUST KNOW! DID THEY KEEP THE NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC BUTTON?

And, more importantly, does it a single piece of rubber in a certain place to prevent the viewfinder lens cracking when you drop it at a specific angle?

(I am assuming Pentax is smart enough to work out said angle.)

01-22-2008, 05:48 AM   #83
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD - I MUST KNOW! DID THEY KEEP THE NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC BUTTON?

And, more importantly, does it a single piece of rubber in a certain place to prevent the viewfinder lens cracking when you drop it at a specific angle?

(I am assuming Pentax is smart enough to work out said angle.)
HAHA! I was wishing for the 'RE-focus' button Or that nifty 9 shot HDR feature..
01-22-2008, 06:11 AM   #84
Veteran Member

"It seems to me tht if the new camera also improves AF speed and accuracy, this camera will be a winner"

It seems to me the fact that no-one in the know even hints at high AF speed and accuracy means this will again not be a strong point of the new Pentaxes. The same goes for a high FPS rate, unfortunately. Let's hope I'm wrong.

As for those posters that come out with comments like- live view is useless; NOBODY needs more than 3FPS; NOBODY needs better AF speed and accuracy; NOBODY needs a huge buffer; NOBODY needs, well, you get the picture - keep in mind that everyone does not use their camera strictly for landscapes and studio work. These are valid wants for a lot of photographers and if Pentax ever wants to be taken seriously by the top photographers in many areas of photography, they'll have to address these shortcomings. My hope is that the K20 accomplishes at least some of this.

I read a lot of posts, mainly on DPR that basically say - HA! Who says Pentax cannot compete in sports photography. Look at this shot I took of a (insert your favourite fast moving object here)! Sure - any camera can take a good shot of any subject. But there are people like me that are not satisfied with the occasional good capture. Acceptable just does not cut it. I have 30-odd photos in the PPG, and, being realistic, most of them would not even be keepers for most serious nature photographers. To me, life is too short to settle for acceptable. I want to produce the best possible images that my admittedly limited skills will allow.

Anyone still awake and reading?

Anyway - I've used Pentax equipment since before a lot of members here were born. And I hope to continue to be able to for a long time to come. PLEASE, Pentax, let's see a string of really great cameras. This rant is officially over...
01-22-2008, 07:15 AM   #85

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Very quick AF using the Limited 35mm f2.8 macro I am playing with today.

Ben
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Lusk Quote
"It seems to me tht if the new camera also improves AF speed and accuracy, this camera will be a winner"

It seems to me the fact that no-one in the know even hints at high AF speed and accuracy means this will again not be a strong point of the new Pentaxes. ...
I still have high hopes
01-22-2008, 07:27 AM   #86
Inactive Account

It seems to me the fact that no-one in the know even hints at high AF speed and accuracy means this will again not be a strong point of the new Pentaxes. The same goes for a high FPS rate, unfortunately. Let's hope I'm wrong.
I am in line with you Tom. Did not post once in a rumor thread but as you said nobody said something about higher FPS. And to keep in line with others I want that too.

2 days to wait.

regards Walter
01-22-2008, 07:29 AM   #87
Veteran Member

My mistake!

"It seems to me the fact that no-one in the know even hints at high AF speed and accuracy means this will again not be a strong point of the new Pentaxes. ..."

(Hey, I'm quoting myself!)

If the "Very quick AF using the Limited 35mm f2.8 macro I am playing with today" carries over into the long lenses, that is good news.

High speed AF and accuracy would be great!
01-22-2008, 07:36 AM   #88
Veteran Member

Anyone still awake and reading?

Mmmmh? What?... :ugh: Have you said something?...

Aw man! I was having this dream about a nice camera that would do a decent ISO 3200, be stabilized with every lens I own and everything was so "smooth and buttery" but then things started to move quicly, I realized my fps was too small to cope and that I was standing in the middle of a Canikon crowd with an unadequate Pentax AF and everybody was laughing at me as they fired away at 10fps perfectly sharp shots...!

Brrrrrr... boy, am I glad you woke me up!

... errh, you sure I'm awake now? I still feel a bit dizzy...
01-22-2008, 07:47 AM   #89

QuoteOriginally posted by ToXiQ Quote
I am in line with you Tom. Did not post once in a rumor thread but as you said nobody said something about higher FPS. And to keep in line with others I want that too.

2 days to wait.

regards Walter
I'm with you on that 5fps would be about just right for me, 3 is adequate for most situation, The ideal solution would be to have something in the reigon of 7-9fps with the ability to slow it down to say 5 / 3 fps. I would be a relatively simple feature to implement in software.

Patrick
01-22-2008, 07:47 AM   #90
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tcom Quote
Thank you very much for this information Ben. It seems to me tht if the new camera also improves AF speed and accuracy, this camera will be a winner.

Does it use the same battery than the K10D?

Yes it does and the same Grip... I just put my K10D grip on to it and "Voila" perfect ergonomic fit.

Ben