Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2012, 02:48 PM   #256
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jmg257 Quote
Sounds like they did...seems like they had an overstock situtation, and Pentax is raising the dealer's cost on lenses.
But if that's true - if - then isn't that contrary to all the ballyhoo about the recent price rises meaning more margin for the dealer and not for Pentax as part of the drive to support retailers? If Pentax are now raising dealer prices, which that comment from the B&H rep might suggest, then the now-notorious explanation for the whole MSRP thing doesn't stack up.

06-21-2012, 02:52 PM   #257
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
But if that's true - if - then isn't that contrary to all the ballyhoo about the recent price rises meaning more margin for the dealer and not for Pentax as part of the drive to support retailers? If Pentax are now raising dealer prices, which that comment from the B&H rep might suggest, then the now-notorious explanation for the whole MSRP thing doesn't stack up.
OMG, Ned lied! Ned the person personally lied, exercising his independent personhood!
06-21-2012, 03:00 PM   #258
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
OMG, Ned lied! Ned the person personally lied, exercising his independent personhood!
No, I wasn't trying to get into that particularly. Let's not go there, really really not. I have no interest in it personally. I'm more interested in how much leeway local Pentax outfits actually have to implement policies which will work in their particular area. I feel this keenly, because in the UK where I live there is no MSRP and my understanding is that dealer prices were in effect whacked up in short order by, I have read, ceasing a dealer discount scheme. The result is that here we have prices that are much higher than in the USA and I do worry that Pentax are well on the way to pricing themselves out of the local market. Certainly if I was starting afresh I would not go Pentax because once you look at APS-C lenses almost anyone else would be quite a bit less expensive and much easier to obtain. If we have a situation where local outfits understand only too well how to handle or not handle their local market but HQ doesn't and overrules them, then we have a block on future success for our favourite brand of camera. I suppose it's pretty arrogant to ask whether PRIC are really cut out for a bit of down and dirty mass market jousting with Canonikon and co, not to mention monster retailers, but they do seem to be a bit of an unknown element.

Last edited by mecrox; 06-21-2012 at 03:14 PM.
06-21-2012, 03:03 PM   #259
Pentaxian

Henry made it very clear. If B&H will not demand higher prices from us, Pentax will not supply the product. This demand/supply thing is just so simple ....

06-21-2012, 05:36 PM   #260
Pentaxian

Henry's answer doesn't make sense in this particular scenario. Pentax USA introduced a UPP hence there is no leeway for adapting prices according to demand and supply.

Furthermore, we've been assured by Ned Bunnel that Pentax has not raised prices for retailers so the whole "replacement price" issue does not make sense either.

Sorry, but it looks like Henry pressed F7 to get a canned answer. Or is he implying that Pentax USA has been misinforming their customers?
06-21-2012, 05:46 PM   #261
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
HenryP's comment on the Ask B&H Photo! Forum might offer some insight as to why B&H prices fluctuate from time to time (and might infer what just happened).
Looks like Henry has learned the Texas Side-Step.
06-21-2012, 05:47 PM   #262
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Henry's answer doesn't make sense in this particular scenario. Pentax USA introduced a UPP hence there is no leeway for adapting prices according to demand and supply.

Furthermore, we've been assured by Ned Bunnel that Pentax has not raised prices for retailers so the whole "replacement price" issue does not make sense either.

Sorry, but it looks like Henry pressed F7 to get a canned answer. Or is he implying that Pentax USA has been misinforming their customers?
Exactly. All that extra money is going to the retailers has per Ned's post.
06-21-2012, 08:58 PM   #263
Pentaxian

I think that Ned is getting all the extra money and not telling Tokyo about it .....

06-21-2012, 09:00 PM   #264
Pentaxian

The above is meant in a light-hearted way and in no way should be taken as libelous.

So there.
06-21-2012, 09:07 PM   #265
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
I think that Ned is getting all the extra money and not telling Tokyo about it .....
There is no "Ned". Ned cannot steal from the head office because they are one and the same.
06-21-2012, 09:34 PM   #266
Veteran Member

Yeah...henryp's response doesn't make any sense. I don't have marketplace access to reply directly to him, but what happened to UPP???
06-22-2012, 04:52 AM   #267
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
we've been assured by Ned Bunnel that Pentax has not raised prices for retailers
Oh that was SOO April. Its 2 months later now!
06-22-2012, 12:34 PM   #268
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Under a UPP program, dealers may request and manufacturers may permit temporary, short periods of price changes, on an individual dealer basis, in order to adjust inventory. This must be done by permission.

Manufactueres will run regular specials, rebates, advertising co-ops and other price/volume management offers either across the entire dealer community or indivdually, at the manufacturer's discretion.

I see nothing alarming, unusual or untoward here, other than possibly PRIAC's lack of business acumen executing the entire pricing scheme.
06-22-2012, 08:36 PM   #269
Veteran Member

monochrome, this is likely true. But if I were a UPP-abiding dealer other than B&H, I'd be livid. The whole point of them agreeing to forego the market's influence is that they are guaranteed that they will not be undercut in doing so. Then again, maybe this is just the shmurah matzo paying off.
06-23-2012, 02:28 PM   #270
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ofer4 Quote
monochrome, this is likely true. But if I were a UPP-abiding dealer other than B&H, I'd be livid. The whole point of them agreeing to forego the market's influence is that they are guaranteed that they will not be undercut in doing so. Then again, maybe this is just the shmurah matzo paying off.
Yeah, right up until the time the other dealer needs an inventory adjustment. How long did the prices change, 6 days?

And Adorama sent the gift box.