Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
06-23-2012, 06:11 PM   #271

QuoteOriginally posted by ofer4 Quote
monochrome, this is likely true. But if I were a UPP-abiding dealer other than B&H, I'd be livid. The whole point of them agreeing to forego the market's influence is that they are guaranteed that they will not be undercut in doing so. Then again, maybe this is just the shmurah matzo paying off.
I never thought people would be so casual and dispassionate when discussing what amounts to price fixing lol.

06-23-2012, 06:22 PM   #272
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wjjstu Quote
I never thought people would be so casual and dispassionate when discussing what amounts to price fixing lol.
Ah, wjjstu. So sorry. UPP is an acronym that stands for Product Distribution Channel Management. It has nothing to do with Prices or Fixing things.
06-23-2012, 07:34 PM - 1 Like   #273
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ofer4 Quote
monochrome, this is likely true. But if I were a UPP-abiding dealer other than B&H, I'd be livid. The whole point of them agreeing to forego the market's influence is that they are guaranteed that they will not be undercut in doing so. Then again, maybe this is just the shmurah matzo paying off.
B&H Da 35/2.4 today = $249.

In Canada, with 8% less value on the dollar, and a market 90% smaller, that same lens at Henry's = $199.

Making your US customers look like they are NOT getting the world price is foolish. The US market is overwhelmingly driven by price points and value comparison.
06-23-2012, 08:34 PM   #274
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wjjstu Quote
It hasn't been considered 'price fixing' since 2006 or whenever when the SCOTUS said as long as it's unilateral, it's OK.

06-24-2012, 03:13 AM   #275
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote

In Canada, with 8% less value on the dollar, and a market 90% smaller, that same lens at Henry's = $199.

Making your US customers look like they are NOT getting the world price is foolish. The US market is overwhelmingly driven by price points and value comparison.
Particularly since it is awfully easy to just buy a lens from a Canadian source. In Canada, if you all buy from a US source, you lose a year of warranty, but since the US warranty is only one year (same as international warranty) there is no difference. Might as well import from Prodigital or wherever.
06-24-2012, 05:10 AM   #276
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
It hasn't been considered 'price fixing' since 2006 or whenever when the SCOTUS said as long as it's unilateral, it's OK.
If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's still a duck - no matter what the SCOTUS may call it.
06-24-2012, 05:16 AM   #277

true enough

06-24-2012, 07:13 AM   #278
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's still a duck - no matter what the SCOTUS may call it.
What, the SCOTUS isn't infallible?
06-24-2012, 09:24 AM   #279
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
What, the SCOTUS isn't infallible?
No, but Roosevelt thought they might be inflatable.

(Referring to his threat to increase the number of Justices if the New Deal was challenged in court.)
06-25-2012, 06:42 AM   #280
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote

I've said right along that if history is any guide I wnoder if PRIAC has the skill and scale to execute since they've outsourced the entire company.

There's nohting inherently wrong with a Unilateral Pricing Policy. It requires experience, judgement and business acumen to administer in such a way as to maintain good dealer realtions and customer satisfaction, which I'm afraid are sorely lacking at PRIAC.

And where is the major new distribution at an upscale chain whose primary color is red - wasn't that the whole justification for this benighted scheme?
06-25-2012, 07:04 AM   #281
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you buy from a Canadian source and have it sent to the US, are there any customs to pay? And, does the warranty hold?

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Particularly since it is awfully easy to just buy a lens from a Canadian source. In Canada, if you all buy from a US source, you lose a year of warranty, but since the US warranty is only one year (same as international warranty) there is no difference. Might as well import from Prodigital or wherever.
06-25-2012, 07:18 AM   #282
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
If you buy from a Canadian source and have it sent to the US, are there any customs to pay? And, does the warranty hold?
There are no customs. Basically you get an international one year warranty. I have gotten lenses serviced with the international warranty and it is the same process (and the same length) as standard US warranty.
06-25-2012, 08:34 AM   #283
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rondec...one more question. So, I guess the warranty is honored, but do you have to send it back to Canada to get it serviced? (That is, is it only honored in Canada?)

Thanks for the info....

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
There are no customs. Basically you get an international one year warranty. I have gotten lenses serviced with the international warranty and it is the same process (and the same length) as standard US warranty.
06-25-2012, 09:58 AM   #284
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
Rondec...one more question. So, I guess the warranty is honored, but do you have to send it back to Canada to get it serviced? (That is, is it only honored in Canada?)

Thanks for the info....
No, you send it to CRIS here in the united states.
06-25-2012, 10:45 AM   #285
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Waiting to see a Google ad for the first Canadian Pharmacy + Pentax Shop...