Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2008, 06:55 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Upcoming DA*, DA Ltd. Macro, Digital 645

Pentax to exhibit future products at PMA: Digital Photography Review

Does anyone know the release date for any of those lens? Any ideas? The projected dates on that page have already passed.

01-21-2008, 06:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

That was for last year's PMA. I haven't seem anything to indicate that any of those will be in this year's PMA
01-21-2008, 08:19 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Benjikan has been playing with the 35mm f.2.8 Limited Macro so it may be released soon. Hopefully we'll find out more on the 24th.
01-21-2008, 08:40 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not sure I understand the purpose of this lens. Pentax has a 50mm and a 100mm macro lens. How is a macro lens with a shorter focal length a useful lens? I'm curious because it is also a limited lens and I do like the limiteds but I don't understand having to get even closer to your subject.

01-21-2008, 08:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KFrog Quote
I'm not sure I understand the purpose of this lens. Pentax has a 50mm and a 100mm macro lens. How is a macro lens with a shorter focal length a useful lens? I'm curious because it is also a limited lens and I do like the limiteds but I don't understand having to get even closer to your subject.
Same here!
Anybody can explain pls
01-21-2008, 09:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member

35mm is equivalent to 52.5mm on APS-C, so that's replacing the 50mm macro everyone used with their FF film cameras.
01-21-2008, 09:24 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by ricardobeat Quote
35mm is equivalent to 52.5mm on APS-C, so that's replacing the 50mm macro everyone used with their FF film cameras.
Oh, ok that makes sense. I was thinking those current macro lenses look kind of "old style". I wouldn't mind having one though So will there be a replacement for the 100mm macro lens as well? What focal length can we expect to see?
01-21-2008, 09:40 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Oh, ok that makes sense. I was thinking those current macro lenses look kind of "old style". I wouldn't mind having one though So will there be a replacement for the 100mm macro lens as well? What focal length can we expect to see?
Actually there is more to it than just 35mm = closer to 50mm.

A big thing about macro if DOF and it can be very tight and even a fraction of movement will ruin the shot. A lens with a shorter focal length has a greater DOF than a telephoto lens at the same aperture. So a 35mm Macro would have a a larger DOF to play with while trying to do intricate work.

This would also be the first macro lens in the limited line-up plus will fit in with that small size they shoot for!

It's a shaaaaaaaaaaaarp lens guys, it'll do very well I think and definitely a focal length that needed filling with a new lens.

As far as dates for the other lenses one will be pushed back the rest will be here soon enough. Why the late date for one... it'll blow every other lens manufacturer out of the water period!

Innovation is a godsend!

01-21-2008, 09:51 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
Actually there is more to it than just 35mm = closer to 50mm.

A big thing about macro if DOF and it can be very tight and even a fraction of movement will ruin the shot. A lens with a shorter focal length has a greater DOF than a telephoto lens at the same aperture. So a 35mm Macro would have a a larger DOF to play with while trying to do intricate work.

This would also be the first macro lens in the limited line-up plus will fit in with that small size they shoot for!

It's a shaaaaaaaaaaaarp lens guys, it'll do very well I think and definitely a focal length that needed filling with a new lens.

As far as dates for the other lenses one will be pushed back the rest will be here soon enough. Why the late date for one... it'll blow every other lens manufacturer out of the water period!

Innovation is a godsend!
As I mentioned I do like the limited aspect, and yes that focal length is missing from the pentax line. To address it with a macro lens is an clever choice then huh?

So I would be able to get up nice and close to say a flower in the backyard with this lens providing I don't get any breeze at all that would ruin the shot?
01-21-2008, 09:55 PM   #10
Veteran Member

As I mentioned I do like the limited aspect, and yes that focal length is missing from the pentax line. To address it with a macro lens is an clever choice then huh?

So I would be able to get up nice and close to say a flower in the backyard with this lens providing I don't get any breeze at all that would ruin the shot?
You can get close and yes as long as the flower doesn't move around you'll have a great macro. It's a nice lens and I can't wait for the store to carry them so I can experiment more. I am currently saving for a sigma 180mm macro cause I need th working distance.
01-21-2008, 10:56 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
You can get close and yes as long as the flower doesn't move around you'll have a great macro. It's a nice lens and I can't wait for the store to carry them so I can experiment more. I am currently saving for a sigma 180mm macro cause I need th working distance.
Yeah buddy I guess you will to save $$$ for that 180mm Sigma!

"Working distance". Now see, that makes sense to me. Back off the subject a bit more but still get a good macro instead of standing on top of you subject with a 35mm lens. I really need to read up on macros so I can better understand how decent shots are accomplished.

Appreciate the insights man.
01-21-2008, 11:45 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yeah and Pentax will bring a DA35 SDM non-macro too. Oh and the macro is a direct 1:1 AFAIK
Just hope there is a focus limiter...
01-22-2008, 12:43 AM   #13
Veteran Member

A 35 macro make sense for another reason: true macro lenses were created for reproduction needs. Stamps, money, drawings, books, to be photographed perfectly, need lenses that have absolutely no distorsion and focus over a perfectly flat field. This are the most important features of a macro lens.

Obviously, for reproduction needs a short focal lens is needed, as the subject usaully lay flat on a desk, and the camera is mou8ntend on a repro-stand. With a long focal lens, the camera should be positioned high above the desk, making it impractical.

On the other hand, to photograph living isects, you need to stay to some distance not to scare them, but not needing the flat field, good results could be obtained with long lenses with tubes or two-elements close up diopters.
01-22-2008, 02:03 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eurostar Quote
A 35 macro make sense for another reason: true macro lenses were created for reproduction needs. Stamps, money, drawings, books, to be photographed perfectly, need lenses that have absolutely no distorsion and focus over a perfectly flat field. This are the most important features of a macro lens.

Obviously, for reproduction needs a short focal lens is needed, as the subject usaully lay flat on a desk, and the camera is mou8ntend on a repro-stand. With a long focal lens, the camera should be positioned high above the desk, making it impractical.

On the other hand, to photograph living isects, you need to stay to some distance not to scare them, but not needing the flat field, good results could be obtained with long lenses with tubes or two-elements close up diopters.
That's exactly why I would want this lens. For product shots and creative still lives. The longer macro's often have an angle that is too narrow for this work and the shorter primes mostly have minimum focus distances that are longer that the working distance or too close for comfort anyway.

Plus of course the technical aspects as mentioned above...

Wim
01-22-2008, 02:52 AM   #15
Veteran Member

yep, I plan on getting one mid - late year for product shots because of fov. it is number 2 on the wish list (behind 70-200 ish)
(probably the odd flower etc for the dof) but for bugs I'll stick to the voigtlanders.