Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2008, 07:30 AM   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Chris, Ben,

I am a believer, but camera does nothing without lenses. I would very much like to know which lenses were used in those samples?

01-23-2008, 10:17 AM   #62
Veteran Member

**snip**
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Lusk Quote
With apologies to Salty in advance-

Tomcan'tunderstandhowpeoplebecomeemotionallyinvolvedwithahunkofplasticandmetalLusk
That's the best laugh I've had all week!
01-23-2008, 12:54 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
"The only thing that I can add is that I am still in awe of the shear beauty of these images. When I look at a 100% crop, it's not a crop, it looks like I can zoom in more and more and get even more detail out of the image. It's sharp, it's bright, it's IQ is unmatched. I've shot with 1DMKIII's, 1DsMKIII's, 40D's, A700's, lenses that I can't even afford and nothing has given me what I have on my desktop right now. I can now care less about all the other features I know about because the best feature is the IQ and it shows."[/QUOTE]

Wow! Such gushing praise. I suspect that your enthusiasm for these images is due at least as much to the skill of the photographer as it is to the quality of the camera. Given the current state of technology, it is just not possible that any new camera from any manufacturer can be light years beyond what the competition has to offer. Let's face it--there are several truly outstanding cameras on the market, and they all represent improvements over what came before.

When the K20D becomes available for careful testing, my bet is that it will be excellent, but not better than the best Nikon and Canon SLRs, and if it is better, it won't be by much. I am a Pentax fanboy, but I try to remain realistic.

Rob
01-23-2008, 11:58 PM   #64
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
What Phil will do is what Phil does each time:

Take a few shots in controlled conditions in default jpegs settings and various ISO and put them side by side at 100% magnification, with the occasional page on RAW that doesn't appear to count for much in the final verdict.

To me, it is almost useless but it's fairly easy to get a good "note". Just make your default jpeg setting reflect (or even enhance) the quality of your raw file and make them suitable for direct printing.

That means your default settings must be sharpened, contrasted, saturated and use a reasonable amount of NR.

Then, feel free to have as many other jpeg settings as you want since reviewers will almost never step away from default.

I don't know if the opinion of reviewers has any bearing on sales but if it has, I would definitely go for the bait as it costs nothing.

Otherwise, we'll see again the perfectly good IQ of the camera being trashed because of imaginary "jpeg defects".

If it matters to them, I sure hope Pentax will be clever this time around, especially if they base their strategy in having the best IQ of APS-C DSLRs...
Phil’s testing is very helpful. He collects a lot of data and in his analysis, puts up a lot of specs. (The 113 % was Ken rockwell's attempt to prove how Eos 5D and FF, was better than cropped sensor. In his testing 5D was 100 %, and older Nikon was 113 %; surprise he found the Canon better )

For an overview, Phil's reviews are very helpful, and I use them as an offset, before going to the user feedback.
I usually go for things at the very last call. I got my Z-1P, just as it was being replaced by the MZ-S. I preferred the Z-1P for its higher FPS, and I knew that it was the camera that Mattias Klum had taken excellent pictures with, for National Geographic.

I was thinking of just staying in film land, and grabbing some MZ-5N’s, as I didn’t fancy the digital look that came from DSLR’s. But then I read user feedbacks on *Ist D and people felt it had a film like rendering, and as it was being faced out, knew that I had to go for it, if I wanted it. In comes the hands-on preview of K10, and this seemed to be the camera that would be perfect for taking the step into digital SLR territory.

The whole JPEG thingy, I just asked some of the experienced users on the board, and found out that it was a non-issue.

It seems Pentax have taken the bait, and gone with vivid setting. I do like the lonesome cowboy approach, but possibly the shareholders will not. Well, as long as it is easy to change back, I guess no problem. I must say that I do like the AWB, DSLR’s are for users prepared to do their homework. Switching to tungsten is so easy, or else just do it afterwards in PP, or manual. No system has good AWB for indoor, so IMO no need to attempt for mediocre output.

BTW great signature photo, Laurent.

Last edited by Jonson PL; 01-24-2008 at 12:04 AM.
01-25-2008, 09:45 AM   #65
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
I keep saying that I'm not going to be able to afford one, but we'll find out on Thursday. I hadn't planned on selling any of my organs for gear, but while I was at a shopping center, I walked by one of those blood plasma donation places where they actually pay you for your plasma and a small bell went off in my head. I'm not sure what the going rate for plasma is, but despite being sqeamish around needles of the medical type, I might consider it.

Perhaps you should consider it, too. At least you'd get to keep all your organs.

Heather
Heather,

That's funny.

Problem is that you would be dehydrated of all precious bodily fluids and your body would implode like a crumpled plastic grocery bag before they paid enough to get this camera.

But... what the hell... it may be worth it for all the free cookies that they give you after they draw your blood.

Stephen
01-25-2008, 04:27 PM   #66
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
"The only thing that I can add is that I am still in awe of the shear beauty of these images. When I look at a 100% crop, it's not a crop, it looks like I can zoom in more and more and get even more detail out of the image. It's sharp, it's bright, it's IQ is unmatched. I've shot with 1DMKIII's, 1DsMKIII's, 40D's, A700's, lenses that I can't even afford and nothing has given me what I have on my desktop right now. I can now care less about all the other features I know about because the best feature is the IQ and it shows."

Wow! Such gushing praise. I suspect that your enthusiasm for these images is due at least as much to the skill of the photographer as it is to the quality of the camera. Given the current state of technology, it is just not possible that any new camera from any manufacturer can be light years beyond what the competition has to offer. Let's face it--there are several truly outstanding cameras on the market, and they all represent improvements over what came before.

When the K20D becomes available for careful testing, my bet is that it will be excellent, but not better than the best Nikon and Canon SLRs, and if it is better, it won't be by much. I am a Pentax fanboy, but I try to remain realistic.

Rob[/QUOTE]

After having looked at Ben's K20D snapshots at 100%, I humbly and gleefully retract what I said above. The IQ really is astounding. I await samples at higher ISO and also real world user reports.

Rob