Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2008, 01:58 PM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom M Quote
I'll be honest. In my opinion, no subject in photography requires the best image quality more than landscape does. ...
Try telling that to a bride while you are shooting her wedding
Seriously as photographers we want the best image quality for what ever our subject matter may be. We want to convey reality as closely as possible doesn't matter if it's a landscape, a dragonfly or a bride as she walks down the aisle.

01-22-2008, 02:04 PM   #17
Ed in GA

I think this is all a ruse.

The new Pentax Camera, K(Whatever) will go back to 3MP, it will have an ISO range of -400 to +37,422.

The compression factor will allow the storage of over 3,000 raw images on a 512mb card and will have a wirless connection to your TV so that you can see your images, full size, before you ever take the shot.

Under exposure, over exposure and crooked horizons will be automatically corrected.
01-22-2008, 02:09 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
OK, the truth is out.. I'm biased..

I have never looked at an image of a blushing bride and said, OMG, that photo is amazing!!!

Though, I do it quite often when viewing landscape images.

But hey, that's just me.
01-22-2008, 02:09 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by quarc Quote
I agree completely, picture quality comes first. I can live with a very featureless camera if it even come close to the picture quality you talk about

Agreed. That's why I shoot MF on an old Yashica. It's not 5fps, it doesn't have 1200 point AF, it doesn't automatically recognize faces or make me a coffee. What it does is take a really nice picture on a big piece of film. Everything else is a bonus.

Now I'm REALLY looking forward to this camera.

01-22-2008, 02:13 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Hmmm... I'm going to have to put myself on a serious budget with all this ranting and raving about this camera...

filmamigo - what Yashica do you use? I had 3 of them... I may yet have an old FX-7 floating around.
01-22-2008, 02:16 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
But will the operator's manual be helpful?:ugh:
01-22-2008, 02:17 PM   #22

Thanks Chris and Ben!

Just two more days, and then it's game time! I'm really looking forward to seeing if 15mp will outresolve the limited series, or even the A* 85 1.4. Interestingly, I read a post on the luminous landscape forum from someone who stated that his Canon 1ds M3 (20 mp) actually made his portraits look bad because of too much detail... I wonder if we'll start seeing the fine hairs and pores of everyone's skin when we shoot them w/ the k20d.

John

01-22-2008, 02:19 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom M Quote
OK, the truth is out.. I'm biased..

I have never looked at an image of a blushing bride and said, OMG, that photo is amazing!!!

Though, I do it quite often when viewing landscape images.

But hey, that's just me.
You have to separate what's technically good from what you like as subject matter. You obviously like landscapes so you look for perfection in those types of images. I love nature photography as well especially macro work. But I still find pleasure in a photograph of bride on her wedding day that captures a special moment that would otherwise go unnoticed. And when that image is also technically good (focus, exposure, composition, etc...) it makes me say "that photo is amazing", whether I took it or not
01-22-2008, 02:27 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Chris, you just convinced me to get this camera with what you said. Sounds unbelievable but the appraisal is coming from you!

Sounds a great camear for landscape and birding in deed. Sigh ... Start saving again
01-22-2008, 02:32 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jbcampbell Quote
You have to separate what's technically good from what you like as subject matter. You obviously like landscapes so you look for perfection in those types of images. I love nature photography as well especially macro work. But I still find pleasure in a photograph of bride on her wedding day that captures a special moment that would otherwise go unnoticed. And when that image is also technically good (focus, exposure, composition, etc...) it makes me say "that photo is amazing", whether I took it or not
I wouldn't even know where to start in critiqueing portraits - I mean to say.. I guess I know a good photo when I see it but, as you said, because my interest is in a different subject, I don't look at portraits as subjectively as I would a landscape or architecture shot.

This might help explain something actually. I've shown crappy photos of a full moon to a freind and they ooh and ahh over it whereas, a perfectly executed shot with ethereal water and the best last light you could ask for.. and, I get nothing but a blank stare. No interest in it at all..
01-22-2008, 02:32 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
I think Phil will be surprised when he sees the images form this camera! He loved the A700, he'll freak when he see's the K20D images.
Well, he JUST may freak out, anyway.

Your earlier post stated that those who purchased other camera makes, and whom have the ability to review and critique will, in the end, find reasons to fault the Pentax. Expect it. It is part of the numbers game. And the numbers are ad revenue.

Ultimately, Phil owes his living to Nikon and Canon. While his reviews are good in general, I am JUST as positive that if the reviews are sterling on the new Pentax, more Canon revenue would dry up for him.

Pehaps Canon will decide to dump all ads (not likely really) like that European Director who pulled all Canon ads from a magazine when he didn't like a Canon review.

And you are right. The camera does take wonderful images.

Stephen
01-22-2008, 02:51 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I wouldn't even send Phil a Pentax - he's only going to crap on it regardless. You'll never get a truthful review out of him with a Pentax.
01-22-2008, 03:06 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mysterick Quote
But will the operator's manual be helpful?:ugh:
If past efforts are an indication, probably not
01-22-2008, 03:12 PM   #29
Mef
Inactive Account

Sounds pretty impressive (just) [joke ]
01-22-2008, 03:19 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SCGushue Quote
Well, he JUST may freak out, anyway.

Your earlier post stated that those who purchased other camera makes, and whom have the ability to review and critique will, in the end, find reasons to fault the Pentax. Expect it. It is part of the numbers game. And the numbers are ad revenue.

Ultimately, Phil owes his living to Nikon and Canon. While his reviews are good in general, I am JUST as positive that if the reviews are sterling on the new Pentax, more Canon revenue would dry up for him.

Pehaps Canon will decide to dump all ads (not likely really) like that European Director who pulled all Canon ads from a magazine when he didn't like a Canon review.

And you are right. The camera does take wonderful images.

Stephen
That used to be the case, however, things are different after Amazon bought dpreview.com. Phil is now on Amazon's payroll and doesn't get a thing directly from Canon and Nikon. Phil not owning dpreview.com anymore is the reason why I started posting over there again.

Cheers!