Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2008, 03:34 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Chris, you just convinced me to get this camera with what you said. Sounds unbelievable but the appraisal is coming from you!

Sounds a great camear for landscape and birding in deed. Sigh ... Start saving again
You'll definitely enjoy it, the colours from the camera are simply stunning. I had the chance to print 8X12's from all the images and they look fabulous! Very like-like and vivid with only minor corrections from the print machine.

QuoteOriginally posted by SCGushue Quote
Well, he JUST may freak out, anyway.

Your earlier post stated that those who purchased other camera makes, and whom have the ability to review and critique will, in the end, find reasons to fault the Pentax. Expect it. It is part of the numbers game. And the numbers are ad revenue.

Ultimately, Phil owes his living to Nikon and Canon. While his reviews are good in general, I am JUST as positive that if the reviews are sterling on the new Pentax, more Canon revenue would dry up for him.

Pehaps Canon will decide to dump all ads (not likely really) like that European Director who pulled all Canon ads from a magazine when he didn't like a Canon review.

And you are right. The camera does take wonderful images.

Stephen
It's in the nature for someone to defend his/her purchase sometimes and it's not fair, but tis life. I read an article from a UK camera mag that rated the camera a 5/5 and gave a very fair review in terms of AF, noise, IQ and stated that it was 5/5 cause there is no camera in the class. A few months later they had a small GEAR GUIDE and again the K10D was in it but this time only a 4/5 because they don't have enough lenses and the Hoya merger meant the camera system may disappear... I emailed them and told them that the only lenses they truly miss are long end and the Hoya merger was good. They responded saying the reviewer for the GEAR GUIDE is a big Nikon guy and in all honesty he might have been a little mad at the K10D being such a nice camera vs the D200.

In all honesty I'm not seeing much for them to argue with the images in the K20D unless they can say it's just a little bit better than the competition.

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom M Quote
I wouldn't even send Phil a Pentax - he's only going to crap on it regardless. You'll never get a truthful review out of him with a Pentax.
They should and should send it to him for a month before he reviews it! He's too quick to pass judgment when giving a review and needs to really take time and effort while doting his I's and crossing his T's.

01-22-2008, 03:36 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ed in GA Quote
I think this is all a ruse.

The new Pentax Camera, K(Whatever)...... it will have an ISO range of -400 to +37,422.
You'll be able to point it at the night sky and pick up images of the big bang!
01-22-2008, 03:42 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SCGushue Quote
Well, he JUST may freak out, anyway.

Your earlier post stated that those who purchased other camera makes, and whom have the ability to review and critique will, in the end, find reasons to fault the Pentax. Expect it. It is part of the numbers game. And the numbers are ad revenue.

Ultimately, Phil owes his living to Nikon and Canon. While his reviews are good in general, I am JUST as positive that if the reviews are sterling on the new Pentax, more Canon revenue would dry up for him.

Pehaps Canon will decide to dump all ads (not likely really) like that European Director who pulled all Canon ads from a magazine when he didn't like a Canon review.

And you are right. The camera does take wonderful images.

Stephen
You can almost bank on that. Uncle Phil is owned, lock, stock and barrel.... Oh he isn't a photographer or for that matter capable of taking anything other than a banal, pedestrian image! I was hoping to meet him at the Salon de la Photos in Paris in October, but alas he never showed up....;-)

Last edited by benjikan; 01-22-2008 at 06:48 PM.
01-22-2008, 04:10 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
You can almost bank on that. Uncle Phil is owned, lock, stock and barrel.... Oh he isn't a photographer or for that matter capable of taking anything other than a banal, pedestrian image!
They have other reviewers who are more rational than Phil. Let's hope the review for the K20/200D would be assigned to one of them.

01-22-2008, 04:10 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
To be fair, Phil did discover the weak vertical antialiasing filter which was later proven by imaging resource (the xmas tree lights in white shutters). Not sure if it's related to the low-light VPN as well.

Now I'm looking forward to upgrading my K10D body later this year. I was hoping to just finish my lens collection, but the high-ISO really has me lusting. If it focuses quickly in low-light (no IR beam that I can see though) and has better predictive AF, I'm sold. Too bad neither of you guys got to test it shooting sports :-)
01-22-2008, 05:26 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
You can almost bank on that. Uncle Phil is owned, lock, stock and barrel.... Oh he isn't a photographer or for that matter capable of taking anything other than a banal, pedestrian image!
Hey Ben,

You wouldn't be holding a grudge against uncle Phil would you? Well, if he sees the quality of what I've seen (unfortunatley, not your images), maybe he'll relent like he did on the K100D and say "Pentax got it right" again.

Remind me not to get on your bad side...

And Chris...

While Phil may be on the payroll, I'm sure that nothing else has changed on the editiorial side. Money talks and in the past Pentax walks. This may (likely will) change with the presentation of this camera and the others to follow.

My one concern here is that recent statments out of Pentax/Hoya that seems to indicate backing off the goal of taking a 20% share of the market this year. Will it be a possible to achieve 20% simply because of the uniqueness of this and near future cameras?... or will they simply move to carve out a higher profit margin at the expense of market share?

The output on this camera is so good, that this promises to be a very interesting look at the way market share is to be earned.

Stephen
01-22-2008, 05:41 PM   #37

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
Ben you gave it away! LOL!

Well yes Ben is my source and the images have all exif intact and the everyprogam shows K20D so to be honest thats a great sign indeed!

I just compared some Sony A700 shots and its like night and day! The images look so watercoloured from the A700 sensor while the K20D retains so much more detail and even at a higher ISO. I think Phil will be surprised when he sees the images form this camera! He loved the A700, he'll freak when he see's the K20D images.

Phil will probably find that the K20D's JPEGs don't look like the Canon or Nikon's (and that doesn't necessarily mean worse) and rate it "Very Highly Recommended (Just Barely)"

01-22-2008, 05:52 PM   #38

QuoteOriginally posted by Asad_Masede Quote
That used to be the case, however, things are different after Amazon bought dpreview.com. Phil is now on Amazon's payroll and doesn't get a thing directly from Canon and Nikon. Phil not owning dpreview.com anymore is the reason why I started posting over there again.

Cheers!
Note he also finally said something good about Pentax (See the IQ section on the 40D review)
01-22-2008, 05:55 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Residing here in the Philippines, hearing all t his talk, makes me want to storm the Pentax factory right now! Couldn't wait for the 24th! (or 25th here in our time zone...)

My wife now has an idea on what birthday gift to give me Time to turn on the charm...
01-22-2008, 06:12 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by leadbelly Quote
Residing here in the Philippines, hearing all t his talk, makes me want to storm the Pentax factory right now! Couldn't wait for the 24th! (or 25th here in our time zone...)

My wife now has an idea on what birthday gift to give me Time to turn on the charm...
You may not have to wait that long...

Ben
01-22-2008, 06:12 PM   #41
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tbear Quote
Phil will probably find that the K20D's JPEGs don't look like the Canon or Nikon's (and that doesn't necessarily mean worse) and rate it "Very Highly Recommended (Just Barely)"
Hehe, I wouldn't want to be in his shoes if he does the "Just barely" again
01-22-2008, 06:39 PM   #42
Inactive Account

forget phil, what about imaging-resource?

i bought the k10d ultimately because of what appeared to be the most balance site of reviews, and this is their quote that sealed it (www.imaging-resource.com):

"With the Pentax K10D, we were pleasantly surprised across the board. At 16x20, its ISO 100 prints were slightly soft, but quite good for wall or table display, retaining impressive detail in reds, where we're used to seeing oversaturation. ISO 400 shots were excellent at 13x19, with only some chroma noise in the shadows if you look very closely. ISO 800 shots stood up to 11x14 inch printing quite well. Though they were somewhat noisy, even our severe incandescent test produced usable images up to 11x14 at ISO 1,600, so long as we printed only the manual while balanced images (as we mention further up, the Auto White Balance's performance indoors with incandescent is the K10D's main shortcoming).

The K10D's printed results really impressed."

Praise for balance, where it's due?
01-22-2008, 06:41 PM   #43

DpNIKONreview has lost any trust I have had there. Nikon fanboy Phil who I almost believe (JUST) to actually put a review out without bias is highly unlikely.

Last edited by equinox; 01-22-2008 at 06:54 PM.
01-22-2008, 07:37 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Wow!

I can't believe that after all this time there are people that are still harping about the "Just" rating for the K10D.

The camera has its problems, some of which will be dealt with in the K20 (hopefully). Some, apparently, could have been dealt with using firmware updates, but Pentax couldn't be bothered, if I understood the hundreds of posts concerning various problems.

It is/was not perfect. Why pretend it was?

It may be (was???) the best value in its class, but face it, there are cameras that outperform it in probably every feature, admittedly at higher cost.

And, Pentax gaining a 20% market share in 2008 (is that worldwide?). Only if all the other manufacturers have fires in their factories. Let's get real.

With apologies to Salty in advance-

Tomcan'tunderstandhowpeoplebecomeemotionallyinvolvedwithahunkofplasticandmetalLusk
01-22-2008, 07:47 PM   #45
Veteran Member

No need to sell body parts. :)

QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
I have told my wife that I don't need this camera, that I don't have the money for it, that I won't be getting one when they first come out. She knows better. After these last few threads about the IQ of the new model she knows that I will be getting one. I've got to go ask my doctor which organs I can safely sell.

I keep saying that I'm not going to be able to afford one, but we'll find out on Thursday. I hadn't planned on selling any of my organs for gear, but while I was at a shopping center, I walked by one of those blood plasma donation places where they actually pay you for your plasma and a small bell went off in my head. I'm not sure what the going rate for plasma is, but despite being sqeamish around needles of the medical type, I might consider it.

Perhaps you should consider it, too. At least you'd get to keep all your organs.

Heather