Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2008, 11:48 AM   #1
Veteran Member
codiac2600's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Rockford, Illinois
Posts: 2,030
K20D images and a great story!

Today I had a surprise and it was one heck of a surprise!

So a gentleman gives me a half a dozen images or so and asks me to look at them. They range in theme and lighting camera settings etc.

I look at them, peep them, debate them in my head and conclude that these must be from a 1DsMKIII or something of amazing quality. The gentleman laughs and says no, read the EXIF.

I do and to my astonishment the camera is not even a Canon, nor a Nikon, but a Pentax! K20D it reads and most of the settings are there as well. I do the math and yes it's over 14MP. I looks deeper and deeper, but could find nothing wrong with these images. I ask him where and why and all he says is it's between you and me and your welcome to tell everyone what you've seen, but don't give away the evidence or thus the relationship ends.

So, today I've seen my first glimpse of the images from a K20D and not only do I have a better understanding of what greatness is, but I had a cool story to tell to go along with it.

How awesome are the images from the K20D? Probably the best images I've seen from an APS-C camera period in terms of sharpness, rendering, IQ, whitebalance, noise levels, ect. I would put my stake deeper than before that Pentax has something to trump the competition and it's not just whizbang features.

The best feature I can see is that no camera will give you a better image and I have the proof siting on my desktop.

The only thing that I can add is that I am still in awe of the shear beauty of these images. When I look at a 100% crop, it's not a crop, it looks like I can zoom in more and more and get even more detail out of the image. It's sharp, it's bright, it's IQ is unmatched. I've shot with 1DMKIII's, 1DsMKIII's, 40D's, A700's, lenses that I can't even afford and nothing has given me what I have on my desktop right now. I can now care less about all the other features I know about because the best feature is the IQ and it shows.

01-22-2008, 12:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Brooklyn
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 316
Intriguing!
01-22-2008, 12:03 PM   #3
Senior Member




Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lynchburg, VA
Posts: 215
That's great news... the intensity builds!
01-22-2008, 12:06 PM   #4
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sweden
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 182
I agree completely, picture quality comes first. I can live with a very featureless camera if it even come close to the picture quality you talk about, and the little I have seen indicates the same. I am first in line to get one :-)

01-22-2008, 12:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member
Tom M's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lincoln Park, NJ
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 782
I'll be honest. In my opinion, no subject in photography requires the best image quality more than landscape does. Seems like my dreams have come true! I'm gonna be kicking that K10D to the side.. Bring it on!!
01-22-2008, 12:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member
codiac2600's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Rockford, Illinois
Posts: 2,030
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom M Quote
I'll be honest. In my opinion, no subject in photography requires the best image quality more than landscape does. Seems like my dreams have come true! I'm gonna be kicking that K10D to the side.. Bring it on!!
And portrait photography, and nature work, and macro work, oh, and anything thats being published! Oh and anything that the reviewers look at cause they always try to find something to complain about! They won't find much to complain about and if they do it's because they are trying to make their own personal purchase seem like the right choice.

All types of photography will benefit from a better image IQ and you'll be able to pick out the Pentax image from the crowd this time!
01-22-2008, 01:05 PM   #7
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 166
Gotta say, what Benjikan's been saying about IQ, particularly at high ISO's is good news to me. As well as the quietness, which is another thing I need.

I've got concerns about the competetiveness of the pricing, primarily because of the fact that sales are often determined by who has the best brand and spec list, and I'm not sure the K20D will fill all the basic holes on the spec sheet for its price point.

But it does look like I'll be buying one, as my only real beef with the K10D is the ISO1600 limit, which I hit regularly.
01-22-2008, 01:08 PM   #8
Inactive Account




Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,414
I have told my wife that I don't need this camera, that I don't have the money for it, that I won't be getting one when they first come out. She knows better. After these last few threads about the IQ of the new model she knows that I will be getting one. I've got to go ask my doctor which organs I can safely sell.

01-22-2008, 01:19 PM   #9
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Switzerland
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,294
Good news, thank you for sharing.

Any idea when this camera is expected to be available?
01-22-2008, 01:31 PM   #10
Veteran Member
benjikan's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Paris, France
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,312
Our NDA's

It is I..I took the liberty and sent Chris about a dozen images shot with the new baby.

I will post the same after the Press Conference.

Not sure where yet...Here and perhaps on another site where I reside that gives me the opportunity to post larger files.

Ben :-)
01-22-2008, 01:48 PM   #11
Pentaxian
Cambo's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Vancouver, BC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 852
So....

QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
Today I had a surprise and it was one heck of a surprise!

So a gentleman gives me a half a dozen images or so and asks me to look at them. They range in theme and lighting camera settings etc.

I look at them, peep them, debate them in my head and conclude that these must be from a 1DsMKIII or something of amazing quality. The gentleman laughs and says no, read the EXIF.

I do and to my astonishment the camera is not even a Canon, nor a Nikon, but a Pentax! K20D it reads and most of the settings are there as well. I do the math and yes it's over 14MP. I looks deeper and deeper, but could find nothing wrong with these images. I ask him where and why and all he says is it's between you and me and your welcome to tell everyone what you've seen, but don't give away the evidence or thus the relationship ends.

So, today I've seen my first glimpse of the images from a K20D and not only do I have a better understanding of what greatness is, but I had a cool story to tell to go along with it.

How awesome are the images from the K20D? Probably the best images I've seen from an APS-C camera period in terms of sharpness, rendering, IQ, whitebalance, noise levels, ect. I would put my stake deeper than before that Pentax has something to trump the competition and it's not just whizbang features.

The best feature I can see is that no camera will give you a better image and I have the proof siting on my desktop.

The only thing that I can add is that I am still in awe of the shear beauty of these images. When I look at a 100% crop, it's not a crop, it looks like I can zoom in more and more and get even more detail out of the image. It's sharp, it's bright, it's IQ is unmatched. I've shot with 1DMKIII's, 1DsMKIII's, 40D's, A700's, lenses that I can't even afford and nothing has given me what I have on my desktop right now. I can now care less about all the other features I know about because the best feature is the IQ and it shows.
let's see the dang thangs!

You're killin' me, just killin' me. I did a photo shoot for a band yesterday in the studio and **** is my *ist D ever slow and freaking painful to work with. Nice results, but, boy do I need a new camera. It's embarrasing to watch the spinning egg-timer of death while they're waiting to see the results after shooting about 6 or 7 RAWS in a row. One even said 'get a 20D!' Yuch! I had to humbly explain how great my lenses were (shooting with the FA* 85mm f=1.4 at the time) but still....


You're just killin' me! You and freaking Benamin - ******s! All I've got for my birthday and Christmas this year were gift certificates for my local camera store so I have a head-start on buying the dang thang!

Cheers,
Cameron

PS - you're lying!

01-22-2008, 01:50 PM   #12
Veteran Member
Tom M's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lincoln Park, NJ
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 782
In anticipation of large file sizes - I just ordered 4gb memory upgrade for me iMac and two Sandisk 8GB Extreme III SDHC cards..

(Really though, I needed these anyway)
01-22-2008, 01:51 PM   #13
Veteran Member
vizjerei's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,418
QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
After these last few threads about the IQ of the new model she knows that I will be getting one. I've got to go ask my doctor which organs I can safely sell.
hey Get in line man~
01-22-2008, 01:56 PM   #14
Veteran Member
codiac2600's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Rockford, Illinois
Posts: 2,030
Original Poster
Ben you gave it away! LOL!

Well yes Ben is my source and the images have all exif intact and the everyprogam shows K20D so to be honest thats a great sign indeed!

I just compared some Sony A700 shots and its like night and day! The images look so watercoloured from the A700 sensor while the K20D retains so much more detail and even at a higher ISO. I think Phil will be surprised when he sees the images form this camera! He loved the A700, he'll freak when he see's the K20D images.
01-22-2008, 01:58 PM   #15
Syb
Site Supporter
Syb's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Near Utrecht, Netherlands
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,224
Well this is something Chris should be able to verify...

Was it Ben, or is he fooling us with his wizard tales about impossible things coming true in only a few days when the $ exchange rate is at its recent-historical minimum?

Chris, why cannot you share the images? A better cliffhanger for the remaining day couldn't be imagined. No one would be able to understand the technology or the new things, looking at a camera. We only could glance.

So, show us the material or shut up!

@mod: sorry for my rude language, I let myself go.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, crop, desktop, feature, image, images, iq, k20d, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Great K20D + Lens kit deal $669.99 NothingInCommon Pentax News and Rumors 19 06-24-2009 04:21 AM
The story of #2, Mikes story (the Online Photographer) Steelski Pentax News and Rumors 9 05-22-2009 11:54 AM
The Helo Story - 15 images JCSullivan Post Your Photos! 16 04-23-2008 08:18 AM
Sigma 17-70, great lens (2 images) simonkit Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 9 09-01-2007 03:51 AM
LBA - Romance Story 8 images jsundin Post Your Photos! 7 04-18-2007 04:43 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:38 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top