Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2012, 10:40 AM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter

I hope Pentax does introduce a FF mirrorless, but I also hope it is nothing like the K-01. I would hope it is more like the EM-5 or a Pentax MX body with a built-in EVF. It seems Pentax is 2 or 3 generations behind everyone when it comes to CDAF, so I hope that is significantly improved.

06-17-2012, 10:45 AM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Supernaut Quote
"My old collection of glass fits without adapter" will never attract new Pentax users.
So there isn't a single person in the Universe who would buy a first K-mount camera and a new K-mount lens? Not one?

That strikes me as the ultimate self-satisfied arrogance.
06-17-2012, 10:59 AM   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Is there a market for a camera that is nothing more then a good old family snapshot camera like in the old days?
Yeah, they're called smartphones or point and shoots. No one is going to spend north of 600 on a "good old family snapshot camera".
06-17-2012, 11:14 AM   #49
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mareket Quote
Yeah, they're called smartphones or point and shoots. No one is going to spend north of 600 on a "good old family snapshot camera".
That is not true, people spend lots of money on various things they don't need. I mean, just look at Fuji's camera that does sell, not a lot in numbers, but at least more then K-01 does at the moment. I was a few weeks ago in Antwerp, Belgium in Grobet (a good camera store) that didn't sold a K-01 at the time, had sell a few 645D (even had it in stock) and already sold 20 Fuji X-Pro1 camera's (mostly with (1 or) 2 lenses). Those X-Pro 1 camera's are going to be used to walk around, take on your boat, take it on your world traveling and only now and then will be used to take a picture in real life. My guess is that a FF K-11 would cost less then a X-Pro 1 camera.

06-17-2012, 11:55 AM   #50
Pentaxian

Then that's not a market looking for a good old family snapshot camera. That's a market of rich people wanting to own a fancy expensive machine because they want something to spend their money on. The X-Pro1 is such a machine because it's almost an M9, but not quite. The M9 is firmly out of reach except for the richest or most determined of buyers. But the X-Pro1 looks similar, so you can pretend it's basically an M9. The K-11 would not have any such appeal unless they massively redesigned it.

(I'm assuming) No one buys the X-Pro1 looking for a good old family snapshot camera. They buy it because they want the X-Pro1.
06-17-2012, 02:45 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Those X-Pro 1 camera's are going to be used to walk around, take on your boat, take it on your world traveling and only now and then will be used to take a picture in real life.
How do you define real life? Do you mean that the X-Pro 1 wouldn't be used at family gatherings or that it wouldn't be used by "real" photographers? I don't see what would prevent an owner of the Fuji from taking it out in "real life" situations. On top of that, Zach Arias is a successful pro who has used the Fuji X series cameras for paid work.

(I'm assuming) No one buys the X-Pro1 looking for a good old family snapshot camera. They buy it because they want the X-Pro1.
I agree. My bet is that the X-Pro 1 is riding in large part on retro/RF styling cache. That sort of thing has a lot of sway. Hell, I'm even attracted to it. The biggest thing that would keep me from ever buying the X-Pro 1, among several, is it's drive by wire manual focusing for all its lenses. Egh, count me out! I know there are fans of the K-01, and I respect those opinions, but to me it's just such a non starter. The only things I see going for it over a DSLR is it's smaller size and lower price. Even with those though, they are not significantly less to attract many buyers. As far as the kind of cameras that will attract family snapshot buyers with bigger wallets, I think that they'd want a fixed lens zoom P&S a la Canon G1X; it has an APS-C sized sensor but slow glass and is nearly $800. About any upper end P&S would suit that market, IMO. If what the really want is an ICL camera then something like the Q or Nikon 1 or micro 4/3 systems would likely get their attention over the bulkier K-01. That is, if they aren't wanting a DSLR. This is all pure speculation on my part though.
06-17-2012, 02:55 PM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TomTextura Quote
over the bulkier K-01
It isn't bulkier with a lens mounted.
06-17-2012, 03:09 PM   #53
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TomTextura Quote
How do you define real life? Do you mean that the X-Pro 1 wouldn't be used at family gatherings or that it wouldn't be used by "real" photographers? I don't see what would prevent an owner of the Fuji from taking it out in "real life" situations.
O the camera is probably fine. We where walking around town with a group of three. This was part of my little trip that I'm still working on:

So we first saw a man and his wife walking around Antwerp, clearly on their holiday day out, with the man carrying a Nikon D4 and a nice lens and a small camera bag. So that man was carrying around a cameraset of around 10 grand! And why wouldn't Pentax be able to sell that person a 645D of the same value?

Such a Fujifilm X-Pro 1 is also bought by people who go around the world for a trip for some months and when they come back their initial 16 GB memorycard is not even half full. The camera is for their leisure and not for real hard time use. For that use, Pentax could be the brand to sell them the hot item to want. Just to what I think!

06-17-2012, 03:14 PM   #54
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The K-11 should be next to standard Body-only and Body with 30-60mm/f3.5-4.5 FXs kit be offered in a wooden box with body and FA-threesome (31mm/43mm/77mm) as would the DSLR.
06-17-2012, 03:18 PM   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
So there isn't a single person in the Universe who would buy a first K-mount camera and a new K-mount lens? Not one?

That strikes me as the ultimate self-satisfied arrogance.
OTOH, people are supposed to gladly buy into a brand new system with let's say 2-3 lenses. All because of the mighty adapter
06-17-2012, 03:27 PM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
OTOH, people are supposed to gladly buy into a brand new system with let's say 2-3 lenses. All because of the mighty adapter
How many lenses does Pentax make? How many are they designing right now? How many lenses will Pentax make in the future.

So already producing cameras in three mounts, they should further dilute the one truly distinctive thing about the brand with a Me2 camera, for no technical reason, when in fact they already have the smallest ILC mirrorless camera made. I wonder waht people would be writing if the K-01 had an OVF and was styled like an MX.

I guess I'm not smart enough.
06-17-2012, 03:50 PM   #57
Pentaxian

The K-11 should be next to standard Body-only and Body with 30-60mm/f3.5-4.5 FXs kit be offered in a wooden box with body and FA-threesome (31mm/43mm/77mm) as would the DSLR.
Why would anyone offer a built-to-a-low-budget mirrorless in a wooden box with the three FA Limiteds? I mean, that'd be absolutely awesome. The special edition 645D box looked cool (the camera marginally less so). But this K-11 you're fantasising about is made to be as cheap as possible, something which is certainly not true of the FA Limiteds.

I think it'd be cool if Pentax adopted the recent ideas of environmentally friendly packaging, especially if they're looking to boost their image as an outdoorsy camera brand. It generally gains praise, and I do reckon a resurgence of the old 35-70 f/3.5-4.5 style kit lens would be fantastic. Make this K-11 weather sealed with a tiltable screen and mic input, bundle it in an environmentally friendly box with a DFA 35-70mm f/3.5-4.5 (or f/4 would be nice) WR and market it as environmentally conscious and donate some money to homeless animals for each unit sold. It'd make an excellent little travel video cam with zooms that fit inside the mirror box.

Make a practical, sturdy, reliable and modest mirrorless as a K-01 sequel Pentax. I dare you.

Also, I rather want an F 35-70 f/3.5-4.5. But I must hold off. I really don't need another lens. It seems like such an excellent idea for a kit lens though.
06-17-2012, 04:46 PM   #58
Veteran Member

Also, I rather want an F 35-70 f/3.5-4.5. But I must hold off. I really don't need another lens. It seems like such an excellent idea for a kit lens though.
It's cheap. It's common. It's easy. You know you want one. Give in. Give in...

The lenses that live on my ZX-M: F35-70/3.5-4.5 (used MF of course); PK-A Vivitar Series 1 zooms: Cosina 19-35/3.5-4.5; Komine 70-210/2.8-4. Those are roughly APS-C AOV-equivalent (in FL order) to 12-24mm, 25-50mm, 50-135mm. Hmmm, looks like Pentax need a DA25-50, eh?
06-17-2012, 10:32 PM   #59
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Why would anyone offer a built-to-a-low-budget mirrorless in a wooden box with the three FA Limiteds? I mean, that'd be absolutely awesome. The special edition 645D box looked cool (the camera marginally less so). But this K-11 you're fantasising about is made to be as cheap as possible, something which is certainly not true of the FA Limiteds.
Lets call that the Limited Edition for winning the Red Dot design price

btw K-01 has a mic input, so that is part of the package already.
06-18-2012, 08:06 PM - 1 Like   #60
Veteran Member

What a disingenuous thread. This sub-forum is about Pentax News and Rumours, Not about Pentax wishes and dreamers
Closed Thread