Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2012, 01:11 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Not a big fan of MILC to begin with and even less so without an EVF. K-01 has seemed sort of an odd beast to me. I would double up on a second K-5 body long before considering a MILC as I prefer many things about DSLRs in general and the K-5 specifically. From what I understand the K-01 is not moving very well as is so I don't see how making it more expensive by adding a bigger sensor would help it do any better.

06-17-2012, 01:39 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I already posted this in the News and Rumors thread about an upcoming FF DSLR. But the people who would believe in such a product probably will be hanging around overhere, so just a separate thread about such a camera. Would we want it? Would it make the K-01 series more serious? This is not about not getting a FF DSLR, but getting a FF mirrorless camera.
The K-01 so far failed to impress. It's slow selling, bashed everywhere, people says it's ugly... should Pentax use it as a base for a very expensive, risky FF project?

pinholecam, breaking compatibility will always inconvenience existing users. Either because they would have to buy an adapter to use their lenses on the new camera, or because new lenses won't work on their old cameras, or because no/less DSLR lenses would be made. And this, just to allow some people to use other brand lenses.
Pentax made the K-01 because they do not want to break compatibility. You guys should get over it.
Btw, in your pic you gain almost nothing, only few mm.
06-17-2012, 01:54 AM   #18
Forum Member

add a good EVF and I'll buy it for sure if is not overpriced
06-17-2012, 02:49 AM   #19
Forum Member

I like the idea and would probably buy such a camera... as a compact back-up for FF DSLR.

06-17-2012, 02:58 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The K-01 so far failed to impress. It's slow selling, bashed everywhere, people says it's ugly... should Pentax use it as a base for a very expensive, risky FF project?

pinholecam, breaking compatibility will always inconvenience existing users. Either because they would have to buy an adapter to use their lenses on the new camera, or because new lenses won't work on their old cameras, or because no/less DSLR lenses would be made. And this, just to allow some people to use other brand lenses.
Pentax made the K-01 because they do not want to break compatibility. You guys should get over it.
Btw, in your pic you gain almost nothing, only few mm.
I think you are exaggerating the K-01's alleged deficiencies. It's very well built - this is no plastic fantastic - and does what it does well. It's main drawback, imho, is the design of the flash housing. This leaves one with the permanent impression that something is wrong because missing - the viewfinder. A flat top-plate would have dispelled this illusion. Whether the K-01 is what the market wants is another matter, but I'd be pretty surprised if someone who actually owned and used the K-01 thought most opinions of it on the internet were even remotely accurate. As usual with Pentax, this is a very solid, carefully engineered camera. What blokes say on the internet - and it is always blokes - and what folks shell out for in the shops are not necessarily the same. If Pentax have sold plenty of these in Asia - if - then it may well have worked fine for them.

I would find a mirrorless FF perfectly OK if it was a rangefinder. However, it doesn't sound a very good idea for Pentax's first foray into this format. At the moment, of course, we have no idea whether Pentax will produce an FF at all, let alone when. Folks on here seem to have convinced themselves it's a cert within a year. I'm not at all sure it is. Ricoh would want to be sure they have correctly thought through how Pentax should position itself in the market over the next 3-5 years before shelling out big time on any project whatever the format.
06-17-2012, 03:14 AM   #21
Pentaxian

No, I'm not exaggerating - but many others are. I had one in my hands and I know exactly how well built is: shaped like a brick, solid as one. But is it selling well? Nope (tough that was expected). So I'm asking again: should Pentax use it as a base for a very expensive, risky FF project?

Pentax history is tied with the SLR; now, many decades after the rangefinder lost the fight, it makes little sense to go that way
Ricoh already started acting. Losing 3-5 years is not an option; they would be killed by the competition.
06-17-2012, 03:47 AM   #22
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Maybe Sony would sell Pentax the OLED Electronic Viewfinder with the 24.7mp FF sensor as a combo deal.
Looked at it and wow that is expensive. Sharing such a device with Sony would be a great idea since I don't see Pentax developing such an EVF itself since Pentax wouldn't sell them enough. I would not buy such an expensive thing for myself.

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Perhaps no more than the K-01 price +$300 for the sensor difference.
I would love to have an answer on this! Making a new K-11 would mean, some developing the K-01 into K-11 housing (not to expensive, but due to the lower number of productionitems it does add to the cameracost), developing SR for the bigger sensor (but this is also for the new FF dslr) and making the Firmware for this camera (wich is probably different from the dslr since it is a single processor camera). When you say +$300 for the sensor, that would mean that for us this camera would cost like 999 euro (I don't think so) and that I would buy today.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The entire point is you don't have to use an adapter. Q is their take on an adapter mirrorless.
Q does not deliver on Image Quality to compete.

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Expect a GXR PK-FF mountor before a K-11 FF MILC. Better chance of hitting a good price point.
Well I don't think that a GXR mounter can hold a FF sensor and be a full functional Auto Focus (screw and SDM) K-mount camera. I'm not interested in any manual focus thingy.

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Remember we are talking about 'air ware' FF MILC here (no one has one yet other than M8,M9) So yeah, plenty would line up for one for all sorts of lenses and purposes if Pentax did do one as suggested by OP. Not to mention SR, Auto modes with the newer Pentax lenses, good Pentax camera handling and interface.

KM-01 in M-mount mode

KM-01 in PK-mount mode with AF adapter
I looked at it, but shaving of a part for M-mount makes a different camera. Shaving off the extension in the front is not enough for M-mount flange distance and shaves off the flash and chimney as well. I also think that you would loose the screw-driven AF with this action, unless the screw-AF is in the extension. So this can be done, but my guess would be making that a manual focus mounter for GXR.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
This is a rumour thread and has no place in the Photograhic Industry subforum. Thread moved, even though another one like this exists there...
Thanks, I didn't know we could start these ourselves. I'm like the European Rice High

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Well this is the second FF platform, next to a FF dslr. I don't think it is so expensive to start.

QuoteOriginally posted by disya2 Quote
I like the idea and would probably buy such a camera... as a compact back-up for FF DSLR.
I think this is one off the main goals, next to people who just buy such a camera as their only camera, but never owned a dslr.

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
Ricoh would want to be sure they have correctly thought through how Pentax should position itself in the market over the next 3-5 years before shelling out big time on any project whatever the format.
This is a very good question. No idea where Ricoh would like Pentax to in say 2016!

06-17-2012, 04:43 AM   #23
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
The body probably has to grow just a little bit to make room for the larger sensor with SR-platform

Maybe I'm missing something on the math of this one, but... To my understanding there would in fact be room for a full frame sensor in the existing size of the K-01 - even with the SR.
06-17-2012, 04:45 AM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Give me some form of viewfinder, I'll instabuy it
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I could definitely see a market if the camera could accept a viewfinder, even an accessory finder such as on the Voigtlander Bessa T. But, without an eye-level finder of some sort, it is about as useful a serious tool as any of the score of digital p&s cameras out there.

You asked for a K11+viewfinder ?

Here it is

06-17-2012, 05:00 AM   #25
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
Maybe I'm missing something on the math of this one, but... To my understanding there would in fact be room for a full frame sensor in the existing size of the K-01 - even with the SR.
Really? That would even be fantastic.

Have you looked at the size of them?

Canon 5D iii | Pentax K-01 | Nikon D800

Sure that K-11 in this form is not able to do things that both others can in terms of speed-AF, fps and some other stuff. But there must be a real market for such a small and very capable camera.

QuoteOriginally posted by MouLaG Ôfr Quote
You asked for a K11+viewfinder ?

Here it is
Funny, but that OVF from Q is nothing more then a dummy only capable of one trick (lens that it is aligned too). For that it is way to expensive.
06-17-2012, 05:35 AM   #26
Pentaxian

No offence meant but really... that is not a even a rumour.
Just wishful thinking. Why is this thread in rumour section?
06-17-2012, 05:44 AM   #27
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Were is the wishful thinking section ?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/172285-how-push-pentax...ut-faster.html
06-17-2012, 05:47 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
I was wondering that. It's just talking about what some guy wants, it's not a rumour.
06-17-2012, 05:59 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Ron, did we really need yet another thread about a non-existent full frame Pentax?

Last edited by Raffwal; 06-19-2012 at 11:18 AM.
06-17-2012, 06:10 AM   #30
wll
Veteran Member

The K-01 IMHO really missed the boat. No EVF and no articulating screen,without those two I would not care if it was a medium format camera, How Pentax could make a mirror less without those two crucial features is beyond me.

Yes, I know the image quality is great, and I love the fact that all my Pentax glass can be used (a very nice feature). I also don't care about the extra body size. The grip is too small IMHO and I wish next time I wish Pentax would use the same design team that made the K-30 ... now that camera look cool, let Marc Newson design chairs and watches, just my opinion !

wll
Closed Thread