Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-16-2012, 09:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax K-30 in Popular Photography

note it's a "We Want This"
and they say they are Pentax dSLR fans.

06-16-2012, 09:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

But it's not a cover shot. Maybe when they get a production model...
06-16-2012, 10:07 PM - 1 Like   #3
Inactive Account

Another shot stating full WR with the standard DAL lens. Really wish Pentax made the WR kit the standard with the DAL a cheaper option.
06-16-2012, 10:15 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonto Quote
Another shot stating full WR with the standard DAL lens. Really wish Pentax made the WR kit the standard with the DAL a cheaper option.
I agree. In terms of image quality the lens is nothing special compared with other kit lenses, but using the WR version as standard would be special.

06-16-2012, 10:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Anybody else think having big bold uppercase letters reading "GET IT WET" on this spread is a problem when the lens shown isn't even WR? Who approves this stuff? On top of it not being WR, couldn't they have picked a better looking lens to showcase with this edgy new body? I'm happy to see the publicity, it'll surely get noticed by many, but come on... It could've been done better.
06-16-2012, 11:23 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TomTextura Quote
Anybody else think having big bold uppercase letters reading "GET IT WET" on this spread is a problem when the lens shown isn't even WR? Who approves this stuff? On top of it not being WR, couldn't they have picked a better looking lens to showcase with this edgy new body? I'm happy to see the publicity, it'll surely get noticed by many, but come on... It could've been done better.
That's pretty much what Tonto said, and I echoed.

They should have used the 18-135, IMO. WR & better-looking than the kit.
06-16-2012, 11:29 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Terrible product shot that does its best to hide any of the unique styling cues.

Also, no mention of pentaprism. Just "100% viewfinder". Come on! This is Popular Photography, not FHM.

06-17-2012, 02:17 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
Terrible product shot that does its best to hide any of the unique styling cues.

Also, no mention of pentaprism. Just "100% viewfinder". Come on! This is Popular Photography, not FHM.
They probably want to keep it short... especially since they said they're going to test the production model soon. Whetting peoples appetites to make sure people buy the next magazine
06-17-2012, 03:04 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TomTextura Quote
I guess it depends who "they" refers to in you sentence "they could have picked a better looking lens...".
Pop. Photography isn't going to market the camera for Pentax, so they'll just use the lens supplied, which I imagine was the standard 18-55.
If Pentax doesn't care then why should a photography mag.?
Does seem odd not to supply it with the WR version.
Hope the testers realise this before putting it under the tap and in the freezer for an hour.
06-17-2012, 07:36 AM   #10
mee
Veteran Member

Wonder how many K-30 kits will be sold used on ebay within the first 6 months with problems relating to using it in the rain with the non-sealed lens...
06-17-2012, 08:03 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For a magazine that claims to be a fan of Pentax DSLRs they sure don't highlight them very prominently in most issues. Don't get me wrong, I like PP; I read it casually, mostly for the images, and don't usually expect it to have anything industry-shattering in terms of news.
06-17-2012, 10:33 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
That's pretty much what Tonto said, and I echoed. They should have used the 18-135, IMO. WR & better-looking than the kit.
We're singing in the same choir.

QuoteOriginally posted by mickey Quote
I guess it depends who "they" refers to in you sentence "they could have picked a better looking lens...". Pop. Photography isn't going to market the camera for Pentax, so they'll just use the lens supplied, which I imagine was the standard 18-55. If Pentax doesn't care then why should a photography mag.? Does seem odd not to supply it with the WR version. Hope the testers realise this before putting it under the tap and in the freezer for an hour.
"They" is ultimately Pentax. You never see a car ad with the base model stripped of any extras. Quite the opposite; the cars in ads are always at least a step or two above the base and have a few bells and whistles included like rims, moon roof, GPS unit, leather, whatever. Then there's a little disclaimer on the bottom that says something like not all vehicles include or have the options shown available. Advertise your most attractive stuff. It's simple, really.

It would be funny if a loaner K-30 with this DA-L lens comes back water damaged. It might be good, actually, if it served as a wake up call.

Last edited by TomTextura; 06-17-2012 at 10:39 AM.
06-19-2012, 11:24 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LowVoltage Quote
For a magazine that claims to be a fan of Pentax DSLRs they sure don't highlight them very prominently in most issues. Don't get me wrong, I like PP; I read it casually, mostly for the images, and don't usually expect it to have anything industry-shattering in terms of news.
They highlight based on advertising revenues and product availability.

Publishers use matrices to figure out which brands should get review attention based on a probability of advertising revenues.

That's how they make their money.
06-19-2012, 11:32 AM   #14

I wish pentax made a few more WR lens in general. I think the selection we have at the moment is pretty poor! I would quite like a 35mm prime that was water resistent for everyday shooting.
06-19-2012, 01:35 PM   #15
Site Supporter

It really doesn't even make since to have the DAL version of this lens with a weather sealed body and pentaprism finder. The AL II version at least has quick shift. Even the K200d came with the DA 18-55 AL II as a kit lens. The WR wasn't available when the K200d was released, but I bet if it was the WR would have been the kit lens.