Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2008, 12:19 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Buschmaster Quote
Hmmm.
Anyone else thinking the K200D is about as good (or better?) than the K10D and the K20D is a step up yet?
No. My rant on this earlier is still valid. The K200D is an entry-level dSLR with some nice entry-level features, but it isn't a K10D-level camera simply because it's not designed to be. Otherwise, they would have called it the K20D.

01-23-2008, 12:21 PM   #62
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom M Quote
I don't think anyone can pass judgement until we actually see the images.

It shouldn't be long now.. HURRY UP ALREADY!!!

Also, who here is able to work in, view and print in 14 bit?

I'd bet most folks LCD's are 8 bit. Most printers as well..
View more than 8 bit, no. But have you ever edited the color on an 8 bit file and watched your histogram fall apart? Photoshop gives you the option of 8 bit or 16 bit when converting your raw file to linear gamma for editing. The more color info that is in the original file, the better the color when you are done. This may not be a big issue for every shot, but for some it is big enough.

Printing? Yes, most modern printers are capable of printing colors well beyond the limits of your eyes. 8 bits per channel is below the capacity of the human eye.

The higher the bit depth, the more colors you can record accurately and the smoother the gradation between them. Not every shot needs it. It is a nice benefit. The D300 and 40D have it. I was hoping this camera would have it.
01-23-2008, 12:24 PM   #63

QuoteOriginally posted by tcom Quote

6. Extended color profiles. While the K10D just featured natural and bright, the K20D adds vivid, brilliant and B&W.
Oh, FINALLY a B&W mode. Hopefully it has the 3 selectable filters the B&W conversion option has on the K10D. But this is a BIG win for me. RAW+JPEG finally has a use for my shooting.

I've been drooling over good B&W autoconversions since I got a chance to seriously play with a 30D a while back.
01-23-2008, 12:26 PM   #64
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Focus correction?

5. Focus correction: feature only found on very expensive camera allowing the user to get the most out of the lenses. It allows to calibrate the AF to the needs.
I read this one, but didn't really understand what it refers to. Pre-selective AF modes based on the lens? SR system back-forth movement to "bracket (fine) focus"? Or is it something else, as alluded to, found in D3/ 1Ds systems?

(My "pie-in-the-sky" illustration of the back of the K**D is turning out to be more correct than I expected - FPS selector, HDR button, Re-focus... I need to play the lottery!)

-Mark

01-23-2008, 12:26 PM   #65
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mawz Quote
Oh, FINALLY a B&W mode. Hopefully it has the 3 selectable filters the B&W conversion option has on the K10D. But this is a BIG win for me. RAW+JPEG finally has a use for my shooting.

I've been drooling over good B&W autoconversions since I got a chance to seriously play with a 30D a while back.
tee hee you'll love the B&W mode... it's extra special! just wait!
01-23-2008, 12:28 PM   #66

QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
tee hee you'll love the B&W mode... it's extra special! just wait!
Interesting....I'm a major B&W shooter with the K10D, but I miss B&W mode. A extra-special B&W mode is a big win for me. I lurve my red filters.
01-23-2008, 12:30 PM   #67
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mawz Quote

The german PDF says concerning the B&W:

Additionally there are specially adapted color spaces for landscape and portrait shots. The monochrome mode keeps besides various shades extensive filtering capabilities.
01-23-2008, 12:30 PM   #68

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
I read this one, but didn't really understand what it refers to. Pre-selective AF modes based on the lens? SR system back-forth movement to "bracket (fine) focus"? Or is it something else, as alluded to, found in D3/ 1Ds systems?

(My "pie-in-the-sky" illustration of the back of the K**D is turning out to be more correct than I expected - FPS selector, HDR button, Re-focus... I need to play the lottery!)

-Mark
It allows you to correct for back/front focus issues on a per-lens basis. The K10D had a global focus adjustment that was accessible in 1.10, but it was disabled with 1.20.

01-23-2008, 12:31 PM   #69

The german PDF says concerning the B&W:

Additionally there are specially adapted color spaces for landscape and portrait shots. The monochrome mode keeps besides various shades extensive filtering capabilities.
And that translation just made my day (And has my stocks of Tri-X running scared).
01-23-2008, 12:32 PM   #70
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote

-Mark
To my understanding, this is the end user feature located in the debug mode of the K10D (up to firmware 1.12/13) allowing the user to fine tune the AF to get ride of BF/FF.
01-23-2008, 12:35 PM   #71
Site Supporter

Sounds very, very good...and the price is significantly lower than I feared (around 1000-1100 euros without the kit lens is NOT expensive at all). However, there's no indication that GPS support is there. I was really hoping for that to appear. Nevertheless, if IQ and high ISO performance are as good as promised/leaked, this camera is well up to the hype, no question about it!

Cheers,
Boucicaut
01-23-2008, 12:36 PM   #72
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Harald Quote
Is this 1.6 mb resolution or size of the jpeg file?
Everyone is saying 1.6 MP, which refers to resolution.
01-23-2008, 12:37 PM   #73
Pentaxian

The full translation of the extended color profiles:

Strong bright colours or natural tint with subdued contrasts -- What color mood perceived as the best will depend much on individual preferences. Or it arises from the effects, with a picture to be made. The PENTAX K20D therefore offers in this area also more options. A total of six settings for color dynamics can be used in the Custom Function Image Select. You have the options "natural", "vivid", "bright" and "monochrome (black and white)" are available, in addition there are specially adapted color spaces for landscape and portrait shots. The monochrome mode keeps besides various shades extensive filtering capabilities.
01-23-2008, 12:39 PM   #74
Veteran Member

Nice features. Looks like it has an extra mode besides natural and bright, along with "HDR" filters. I hope this and the B&W modes will save one many hours of PPing. And it has a timer function - no more need for USB/laptop, I like that.

The last page has some interesting bits. It says "support for PowerZoom" if my translation is correct, and also something about "distance measurement" for auto-focus.
01-23-2008, 12:40 PM   #75
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Has this press conference even taken place yet?
Closed Thread