Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2008, 11:43 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mawz Quote
Really nice addition, especially since it requires a $200 widget to get with Nikon and Canon, and one that is only compatible with the higher-end bodies. Big win for night shooters, especially if you can set shutter speeds longer than 30 seconds via the intervalometer.
Actually The D3 has one build in

functioning up to 30s exposures... has a programmable starting time, interval measured in hrs,min,sec
and how many shots and number of cycles.

But yeah it is a real nice addition to the K20D.

Last edited by Duplo; 01-23-2008 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Forgot something
01-23-2008, 11:47 AM   #47
Veteran Member

I see everyone is buzzing about the fps - I want to know more about the image quality!

20fps ain't gonna make my landscape photos any better
01-23-2008, 11:49 AM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom M Quote
I see everyone is buzzing about the fps - I want to know more about the image quality!

You hit the nail on the head there... I am definitely with you on that...

And what good is the number of fps if the IQ sucks... I sincerely doubt it will suck though.
Ben and Chris has been pretty positive about the IQ so far.
01-23-2008, 11:50 AM   #49
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am also more interested in IQ, which is why I am disappointed that the brochure indicates that bit depth is still 12 bits per channel in the raw file. I was hoping for 14.

01-23-2008, 11:53 AM   #50
Veteran Member

You now have the privilege of shooting a landscape at 20fps.
Think bursting a 360 degree view in a matter of seconds, while frantically spinning your K20D on a tripod.
01-23-2008, 11:56 AM   #51

From what I have seen so far this is turning out to be just an updated K10D. 14.6MP, live view, improved SR & dust cleaning. I am sure the image quality will be as good or better as the k10D especially at higher ISO's. I was hoping for 14 bit files as well.
My hopes of a higher end K1D (or whatever) seems to be fading fast :-(

Last edited by jbcampbell; 01-23-2008 at 12:05 PM.
01-23-2008, 11:59 AM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jbcampbell Quote
From what I have seen so far this is turning out to be just an updated K10D. 14.6MP, live view, improved SR & dust cleaning. I am sure the image quality will be as good or better as the k10D especially at higher ISO's. I was hoping for 14 bit files as well.
My hopes of a higher end K1D (or whatever) seems to be fading fast ;-(
I still wonder what Benji's new "toy" was...

01-23-2008, 12:02 PM   #53
Veteran Member

The wink and the sad face is confusing...I can only hope you are kidding.
01-23-2008, 12:03 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Just a slip of the Shift key, methinks.
01-23-2008, 12:04 PM   #55
Veteran Member

From what ive seen from the rough samples posted in the other thread the resolution is pretty darn good but its not the typical pentax look most of us are accustomed to (you know, that detailed film look). Im gonna have to wait for the local shop to do some prints when they eventually stock it before i make a decision...im almost half scared that the pics are gonna look sort of "Canonish"... :ugh:
01-23-2008, 12:05 PM   #56
Veteran Member

I don't think anyone can pass judgement until we actually see the images.

It shouldn't be long now.. HURRY UP ALREADY!!!

Also, who here is able to work in, view and print in 14 bit?

I'd bet most folks LCD's are 8 bit. Most printers as well..
01-23-2008, 12:06 PM   #57

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Just a slip of the Shift key, methinks.
Correct, I fixed my sad face.
01-23-2008, 12:14 PM   #58
Veteran Member

I found a few more interesting features in the PDF, sorry if these have already been mentioned:

1. Dynamic Range Enlargement (DRE) gives 1 EV more

2. PRIME processor allows 3FPS, 20FPS in burst mode. This makes it a fast camera, but not the fastest as Pentax gave priority on IQ and not on speed.

3. Dust Alert. Evolution of the Dust-Removal features. Dust alert displays a picture on the rear monitor showing where the dust is located.

4. 14bit ADC resulting in 12bit RAW or 8bit JPG

5. Focus correction: feature only found on very expensive camera allowing the user to get the most out of the lenses. It allows to calibrate the AF to the needs.

6. Extended color profiles. While the K10D just featured natural and bright, the K20D adds vivid, brilliant and B&W.

7. Digital preview image can now be saved.

8. Interval feature. Possibility to set an interval program taking photos in regular steps setable between 1 sec and 24 hours for up to 99 photos.

Hope it helps waiting...
01-23-2008, 12:16 PM   #59
Veteran Member

I don't think anyone can pass judgement until we actually see the images.

It shouldn't be long now.. HURRY UP ALREADY!!!

Also, who here is able to work in, view and print in 14 bit?

I'd bet most folks LCD's are 8 bit. Most printers as well..
You are more or less correct, I do however see a difference whether my prints are from 8 or 16 bit files, when returning from print lab.
01-23-2008, 12:17 PM   #60
Pentaxian

Sigh...

Well, we're talking about the *K20D* here - so of course it's "just an updated K10D" (with a totally new Pentax/Samsung low-noise CMOS sensor, 20 fps bursts, new bracketing modes and intervalometer, etc. in addition to what you mentioned...). Uh, that's one hell of an "update," no?

Honestly, if it was a Sony 12MP CCD sensor, and just live view on the bigger display, and advanced dust sensing... I would call that "just an update" in exactly the way N* and C* glacially upgrade their offerings.

Plus, if you are waiting for a K1D or 645D, then the leaked german and japanese documents mean nothing to you. I won't say "give up hope" but then again, around here very few of us are looking to replace $8000 Cannon bodies, so we focus on the $1300 bodies we can really use (and that Pentax can sell a crapload of).

-Mark
Closed Thread