Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
06-21-2012, 03:52 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A weather seal flash .... quite doesn't make sense?
like, if it is raining (or snowing), and you use flash, isn't the rain drops reflect the flash and ruin the pic?

Why do you need a weather seal flash?

06-21-2012, 04:12 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
like, if it is raining (or snowing), and you use flash, isn't the rain drops reflect the flash and ruin the pic?

You already have a WR flash built into the K-5, K-30, etc.
06-21-2012, 04:27 PM   #18
Veteran Member

to take picture in the mud, and with big clouds
06-21-2012, 05:02 PM   #19
Inactive Account

It might make a interesting effect, like a mirrorball perhaps or a rainbow

06-21-2012, 06:06 PM   #20
Veteran Member

WR, Batteries, and focus issues?

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I'll hope that the new flashes will be next to wheater sealed also running on the D-Li90 battery pack, since that is a very powerfull battery.
Here Ron, try this link; ww.mygrocerystore.com . They specialize in weather sealing for many types of portable electronics (they are in the "baggy" aisle)

Concerning the batteries- I think that they should use the D-L150's. I already have six of them for my K10D and wouldn't have to buy any! In the meantime I'll just use my Metz 44 AF-1
and 48 AF-1 which I have a bunch of Energizer Rechargable AA batteries for. I had used the same batteries in my AF280T's and my AF200T (which both worked very well on my k10 )
The Energizers (yeah, the bunny batteries) are fantastic with fast (that's spelled "F-A-S-T!")recharges and they last forever. I've never ran them dead or even "down" a little, I recharge them according to the calender just as a precaution against DBS (deadbatterysyndrome) !
The focus issue I speak of is that I've already had my k10 w/tamron 28-200 focus on the raindrops instead of what I was actually aiming for

Quote>glanglois<
"I have trouble getting parts for my 1953 Studebaker but I'm not counting on a new model hitting the dealerships any time soon ...."

I have the same problem with my 1962 Rambler(my 1st car)
06-21-2012, 07:45 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by parsons Quote
A weather seal flash .... quite doesn't make sense? like, if it is raining (or snowing), and you use flash, isn't the rain drops reflect the flash and ruin the pic? Why do you need a weather seal flash?
It might make a interesting effect, like a mirrorball perhaps or a rainbow

An idea from Jim Richardson on Taking Photos in the Rain -- National Geographic
"Pop just a little flash. Huh? No, really, I mean it. Your flash will light up the raindrops, usually a bad thing because it will pump out way too much light as it tries to light up your subject. You don’t want that. But turn it way down (like -3.0 stops) and it will add just a little pop to the raindrops. This technique is tricky; you’ll have to experiment. Maybe it won’t work at all, but if it does, it can be quite magical. (Also works on snowflakes sometimes.)"

An example from TOUGEFC comes to mind:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-clubs/73997-da-club-66.html#post1910655
06-21-2012, 07:53 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I am all for a new flash. I like my 540, but it is way quirky compared to some friends on the Nikon system. The battery thing, I don't really care. If they do go with using a camera battery in it, I hope they also have a power pack that is available that would allow for AA. Sometimes throwing in some AAs are just more convenient.

But seriously, if they have the right features on them, I would sell my 540 and buy two of the new flash.

06-21-2012, 10:33 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by iCrop Quote
This thread

I've e-mailed C.R.I.S. about it and their reply was "From your description, this is not something we have seen or heard of before and would suggest that you send in the units for a free evaluation."

The flash was being powered by the TR Power Pack-3 at the time. The Power Pack is under warranty, the flash is not. I'm hoping that there was a problem with the Power Pack that caused the problem with the flash, and they'll repair both under the Power Pack warranty. I do a lot of hoping some times...
I remember seeing recently a Pentax flash being discounted in the Market Place due to melting attributed to a defective Power Pack. Seems reasonable if it was the pack's fault that both the pack and the flash should be fixed under warranty.
06-22-2012, 02:28 AM   #24
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
to take picture in the mud, and with big clouds
You mean mudwrestling in the rain pictures?

google yourself
06-22-2012, 03:19 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
You mean mudwrestling in the rain pictures?
LMAO !

this one gave me a good laugh !
06-22-2012, 02:39 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Mud wrestling in the rain is a very good reason. My reason is for my cave photography.
06-22-2012, 06:07 PM   #27
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I'm still waiting for a decent owners manual on the 540 and 360 flash units....ones that recognize that Pentax has actually moved in to the digital world and is written in language relating to digital and actually makes some sense on the flash operations.
I think it was 4-5 years ago over on DPR that old Ned said he was working on that problem.......so if he is working on the new flashes too, and you are holding your breath in anticipation, you will most likely be dead before they arrive in reality.
'Regards!
06-22-2012, 07:58 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If using a direct flash when it's raining, it's not recommended. But, when using the flash off the camera, that's awesome.
Here's one of my example to show why he (also me) needs a weather sealed flash...

Here, I have to cover my set of external flash with transparent plastic bag to protect it from the rain. There are more photo-opts where a weather sealed flash is needed to bring out the creative use of flashes...

Last edited by richard balonglong; 06-22-2012 at 08:14 PM.
06-22-2012, 09:23 PM   #29
Site Supporter

There is more to having weather sealing than just rain such as high humidity or just if you get caught out you don't have to worry about putting it away immediately. Then again maybe some people like having to put their ~$450 flash in the cloths drier. On a serious note, some times the rain is intermittent or light drizzle. Same thing for snow. Rain forests, wet environments is also a possibility with nature or macro.
06-22-2012, 09:36 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
There is more to having weather sealing than just rain such as high humidity or just if you get caught out you don't have to worry about putting it away immediately. Then again maybe some people like having to put their ~$450 flash in the cloths drier. On a serious note, some times the rain is intermittent or light drizzle. Same thing for snow. Rain forests, wet environments is also a possibility with nature or macro.
Exactly! I can think of plenty of situations when a WR flash would be nice. I know Canon has the 600EX that's WR but not sure if Nikon has one. That Canon is insanely priced though, hope Pentax doesn't follow their lead on pricing.