Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2008, 05:34 PM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Chris, Great write-up. Thanks for putting all that info down on paper.

It's a long way off, but I know what I'm getting for Christmas this year. I've already told my wife she's getting me a K20D.

01-23-2008, 05:35 PM   #92

Chris, thanks for putting the time into your article and for sharing it.

This is just my personal opinion, so please take it as that.

I think about half of the things this adds are just gimicky items I could care less about. Who cares if Nikon and Canon don't have dust mapping because personally I think that is a gimicky feature. Never once had a problem with it on my K10D. In camera B&W mode with filters is nothing new. Some of the other Pentax only features strike me the same way.

What I do appreciate is the fact that they didn't stick a manditory grip on it. The fact that they added a PC sync port. The fact that there is an adjustment with memory spots for ff/bf issues on individual lenses. The fact that the image quality at higher iso's is improved. The fact that the noise level is held down. The fact that the camera appears to have better dynamic range.

I think the lack of increased AF performance is my biggest disappointment. While I wanted a full frame sensor, I can live without that, but the auto focus engine could really have used an update.

Oh well. For a new buyer I think it's a nice camera, but I personally am not seeing it as cause to run out and sell the K10D to replace with this one.

Thats just my initial impression after reading posts and seeing the announcements tonight. Nice camera, but ho hum and no big deal if you already own a K10D. Think I'd rather invest the difference in money lost to sell a K10D and buy a K20D to put towards a 200 or 300 lens.
01-23-2008, 05:42 PM   #93
Site Supporter

Thanks Chris. I'll be getting one of these beauties when they appear on these shores!

Cheers,
Boucicaut
01-23-2008, 05:45 PM   #94
and
Veteran Member

More fps would have been nice, but I dont need it... But a bigger buffer I do need and that would have been nice.
14bit raw is nice if it actually did have that, maybe it wont.

its a k10d with a very interesting new sensor and some usefull and some useless gimmicks (live view with no af? 20fps at 1.6mpix??!)

My disappointment came when looking at the pictures though... Its the same body... Yes it has a slightly bigger screen, yes it has a pc sync port (no credit there, the k10d should have had it). No new buttons....

I would have wanted dedicated iso and wb buttons... at least..
And no new grip? so still now af button on the grip, no extra features in the grip (wifi, gps etc), and the body has a new battery but the old grip has the old battery??

Its great if they silenced the mirror slap more.
But why is it still the same shutter, 1/180.. even my dads rebel 350 has faster sync than that. if they made it 1/250 then that would be catching up to the competition.

And with the live view I was hoping for a hdmi hi res tv out....

All in all Im sure its a great camera. I still would prefer a k1d. I had put my k10d for sale with all the commotion but I guess I will think again if I should really sell it or consider waiting it out for a k1d. or maybe k30d with the same sensor as now but upgrades to af, shutter, buffer, button layout and fps. oh... and one of those 100% vf's like the d300

01-23-2008, 05:46 PM   #95
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Duck Dodgers Quote
Nice review, Chris. Thanks.

THIS really needs to be brought back to the K10D, in all seriousness. ASAP.
This was on my wish list a few weeks ago. I think it was item #1. We definitely need this trickling down to the K10D firmware v1.4.
01-23-2008, 05:51 PM   #96
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Priyantha Bleeker Quote
Well the K20D is just the K10D what it should have been on the introduction but the sensor wasn't ready.
Yep. And the D2x was supposed to be the D3 but the sensor wasnt ready.

Yes the Live View is nice...but that's the only 'new' feature there is in the 'K10D' body which wasn't on the planning in the first place.
Hmm - clearly you havnt read the full specification.

But Pentax did introduce the K10D with a inferior Sony 10MP CCD and with some crippled functions(no AF adjustments in a menu, no X-contact), they had to introduce the camera faster as planned I think because they needed the sales to be sure the survived(after all they did half...
Yep, just as Nikon released the D200 with the same 10MP sensor because, guess what, the new sensor wasnt ready.

I think Pentax should name the K20D als 'K10D Super' just like what they did with the good old 'ME' and 'ME Super' the 'ME Super' was a real improvement over the normal 'ME' and not just a firmware fix and a couple of electronic sensors in the mount and again a firmware fix with the 'K100D' to 'K100D Super'.
Yep - and the 40D should really be the 10D super+ extra and the D300 should really be the D100 mk7
They should make then a good statement I think, because than they can say 'Look we have upgraded our K10D but it is a evolution of the old model, we are working on a revolutionary new model for the future'
Wow. Pentax should hire you in their marketing department.
01-23-2008, 05:52 PM   #97
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jbcampbell Quote
I think you have to hold & use the camera before you can make that statement. Specs are one thing but the image quality & build quality can't be put into words.
But FPS speaks for itself, either it does it or it doesn't. As for AF, the only way I have the ability to test it in the conditions I put it under is at a track and I know now I won't have the option of borrowing one to test it.

I'll stick to the K10D for a while yet though.
01-23-2008, 05:53 PM   #98

Was the highest shutter speed indicated? I had seen 1/4000 which was another thing I didn't like. In addition to 1/250 or faster for flash sync, a shutter of 1/8000 would be nice for a camera of this level.

Heck, I'd like to even see a 1/12000 shutter speed like the old Minolta 9 used to have. Adds a lot of creativity with DOF on a fast lens in full day light.

01-23-2008, 05:54 PM   #99

Much appreciated, Chris- that write up took some time.

John
01-23-2008, 06:00 PM   #100
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great write up Chris. The camera looks like a great upgrade. Heck they won't pease everyone no matter what they do. I find it odd how so many will dump on it before actually testing the camera first.

POP Photo already has a first look:

First Look: Pentax K20D - - PopPhotoJanuary 2008

They like it at first glance:
Pentax has once again swung for the fences with the K20D, packing a ton of high-caliber features, heaps of megapixels, tons of customization, and a pro-caliber build into a camera that should manage to distinguish itself in a crowded pack of high-end enthusiast/entry-level pro SLRs. We've just begun our full lab test with an early production Pentax K20D and out initial findings show that the Pentax K20D is very class competitive
01-23-2008, 06:10 PM   #101
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry if someone already mentioned this, I have been reading the specs on DPReview. It says that the buffer holds 14 PEF files or 16 DNG files. Does this mean that Pentax is finally using the same or similar compression as the Adobe ANG converter? That would be so sweeeeet!! No more shooting PEF to save space on the card then converting later.
01-23-2008, 06:12 PM   #102
TDN
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
-Fixing front/back focus issues. Right in the custom function you can access this bad boy to fix any lens and store up to 20 profiles so all your lenses can be perfect!
You mean I can fix that old version of the Sigma 28-70mm f2.8 EX I have? That's awesome! The only thing that's wrong with it is that it backfocuses a little. Saves me the extra cost of changing it to a newer version.

This camera looks awesome.

QuoteOriginally posted by Tyler Quote
Am I the only one kinda let down by the K200D? The K20D on the other hand, hot damn. the 20fps at 1.6mp kinda blows though.
Nope, you're not. Aside from the dust function and the lower weight, I don't see the point in paying more than for a K10D for basicly the same (or less rugged) camera...

As for the fps on the 20D, although a half-resolution/double fps mode would have pleased a LOT of people doubting to make the switch. I don't really mind...it's mostly just numbers anyway. I'm glad they made the choice to develop a stunning IQ sensor instead.

Chris, thanks for writing your experiences down.

Just look at all the replies to this thread in the timeframe that it has been online...if that doesn't prove Pentax has a future, I don't know what will

Tom
01-23-2008, 06:31 PM   #103
Veteran Member

Wow.... this is too interesting. At first glance I frowned upon the K200D specs. But I found that link to the brochure someone posted and read up on the features it shares with the K20D and it sounds much better...

couple questions for those in the know, because I can't find these answers: Does the K200D use the same 10.2 mp sensor as the K10D, or is it a new sensor for that as well? and I'm damn excited it uses AA's and has an optional grip too...!

anyway, thanks for the write-up Chris, glad the info got out tonight rather than stewing all day at work tomorrow not knowing about the announcements.

-Dan
01-23-2008, 06:32 PM   #104
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by khardur Quote
Wow.... this is too interesting. At first glance I frowned upon the K200D specs. But I found that link to the brochure someone posted and read up on the features it shares with the K20D and it sounds much better...

couple questions for those in the know, because I can't find these answers: Does the K200D use the same 10.2 mp sensor as the K10D, or is it a new sensor for that as well? and I'm damn excited it uses AA's and has an optional grip too...!

anyway, thanks for the write-up Chris, glad the info got out tonight rather than stewing all day at work tomorrow not knowing about the announcements.

-Dan
Same sensor.
01-23-2008, 06:32 PM   #105
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
I'm not understanding how some people can call this a light upgrade to the K10D...

we have added live view,
Were the stories of live view in the viewfinder just wrong, or something Pentax dismissed this time around?