Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2008, 06:39 PM   #106
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mutley Quote
Were the stories of live view in the viewfinder just wrong, or something Pentax dismissed this time around?
They have the technology patented but I never even brought it up, had such a short time and so many questions to ask while trying to memorize what I was holding in my hand.

01-23-2008, 06:40 PM   #107
Veteran Member

Rice-high will have a field day.

Or field year....

Or his head will explode like in the movie Scanners....
01-23-2008, 06:42 PM   #108
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mutley Quote
[...]
Or his head will explode like in the movie Scanners....
We should be so lucky!
01-23-2008, 06:45 PM   #109
Site Supporter

thanks Chris!

Great write up and thank you for explaining as much as you could remember on the camera in such a short time frame!!

I wish I had some extra cash flow... hmm... Studio lights? Super telephoto? Other priorities???

Bah...

01-23-2008, 06:50 PM   #110
Veteran Member

Thanks Chris for the insightful write-up. I'm definitely getting the K20D.

Seems there are so many nay sayers to the new cameras. Well, if you feel that the new cameras are a disappointment and you got a lot of negativism, then please jump ship and restore the positive vibes in you with a Canon/Nikon/Sony/Olympus.

Pentax has progressed where it counts most - the sensor and image quality. Isn't that what photography is all about?
01-23-2008, 06:56 PM   #111
Veteran Member

If I didn't say it before, and I didn't: Thanks for giving us your thoughts on the K20D, Chris.

One thing you didn't talk much about, and which I think has enormous potential, is the EDR (extended dynamic range), or whatever the called it. I think this would be a major selling point for many people, especially landscapers. If it works half as well as the similar system found in the Nikons D3 and D300 it will be great.
01-23-2008, 06:57 PM   #112
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks Chris for putting the time and energy, an informative essay. I'm not in the market, wasn't ever in the market, the K10D is enough for me right now thanks. The only "new body" I'm interested in has got new knees to go with it. FPS and AF don't interest me much but I will be very interested in the high ISO performance and also dynamic range. I would dearly love to have a camera that could match or better the DR of good slide film, but I think that's a few years away.

NaCl(the new DA* 300 sounds very interesting tho!)H2O
01-23-2008, 07:02 PM   #113
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
If I didn't say it before, and I didn't: Thanks for giving us your thoughts on the K20D, Chris.

One thing you didn't talk much about, and which I think has enormous potential, is the EDR (extended dynamic range), or whatever the called it. I think this would be a major selling point for many people, especially landscapers. If it works half as well as the similar system found in the Nikons D3 and D300 it will be great.
The model I had wasn't fully operational being one of the lowest of firmware available to play with. The images taken with the EDR mode looks very HDR, tons of highlight and shadow detail. Image did get a little more nose in those areas, but that is to be expected when you're pushing for the highest possible level of sensitivity.

I did make 8X12 prints from the K20D images I have and just out of the camera it looks more like film. I actually had the print lab tech push the digital file more like film with even 2 extra stops of brightening and he knows as much as I know you can't do this with normal digital camera files. To sum up his reaction he looked at me blankly with the picture in his hand just repeating these words, "no way!"

01-23-2008, 07:04 PM   #114
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Thanks Chris for putting the time and energy, an informative essay. I'm not in the market, wasn't ever in the market, the K10D is enough for me right now thanks. The only "new body" I'm interested in has got new knees to go with it. FPS and AF don't interest me much but I will be very interested in the high ISO performance and also dynamic range. I would dearly love to have a camera that could match or better the DR of good slide film, but I think that's a few years away.

NaCl(the new DA* 300 sounds very interesting tho!)H2O
To be honest I think this camera comes close to the dynamic range of 35mm colour film. I'm not the expert and the photo lab tech is and he concurs with my observations.
01-23-2008, 07:10 PM   #115
Inactive Account

I'll be honest, I haven't read all... 8 pages... but this seems to be the place for everyone to give their opinion about the K20D so here goes...

It hasn't turned the photographic world, or the dSLR world, or the mid-level dSLR world, on its head. Some seemed to imply it would, but I think (or hope) most of us took that as hyperbole caused by (and meant to generate) excitement, rather than a guarantee. If anyone is genuinely disappointed that it's just going to be a very good camera and not a ground-breaking rethinking of the dSLR concept, then maybe they need to adjust their expectations.

Me, I'm very happy. I would have bought a K10d in a second if it had the ISO range of the k100d. Honestly, that was the one thing that stopped me, and now the K20d is set to expand on the ISO range and do so with CMOS which should mean cleaner images higher up the range. I'm sold. For me, everything else is icing on the cake, but very nice icing it is too - 14mp, dynamic-range-fancy-thingamajiggy, live view, X-Sync! And of course most importantly, they painted the shutter release black to make it Look Super Pro ... It'll be nice to see some sample shots, but so far this looks like being my next camera, and probably my last for a long time since it looks like the rest of my money will be going on 200mm f/2.8 and 300mm f/4...

To summarise, my 5 word essay on the K20D: Pentax done good. I'm happy.

Somehow it doesn't feel right being this cheerful, so let me balance it out... K200D? Not interested, wouldn't recommend it to anyone, rather have the K10d or even K100d for less. But then I don't care about the K200d - I'm off to see if I can find $1200 down the back of the sofa
01-23-2008, 07:10 PM   #116
Veteran Member

and the 'photo lab tech concurs with my observation'

Uhm, who might this PLT be?

Since, 35mm Film Users are not so anonymous as they once were - who can really say that with any authority? Certainly NOT some anonymous film user

For crike's sake, I scanned 29 negatives tonight!
01-23-2008, 07:10 PM   #117
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
Can you explain the Trap Focus Function a bit more?

Is it something you set a the custom function?

Trap focus, as I understand, should be used with manual focus, so the shutter would be triggered as soon as an object comes into focus at your preset focal point. So I am a bit confused when you are using Trap Focus together with AF-C.
It is a custom setting and it's called "Catch-in Focus" mode. It's either on or off and from I was told it basically disables the AF double check Pentax typically has. I turned it on and compared it some shots with it off and it was very interesting. When set to AF.C the camera will actually take images at closer to 3FPS when the setting is on. I suppose he was right, but when I tried to do the old trap focus it would just fire the camera. I will have to figure this out when I receive a manual!
01-23-2008, 07:15 PM   #118
Veteran Member

Chris, thank you very much for your thoughts.

I'm sorry to say it appears that you're mistaken here, though:

QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
The most obvious standout is the larger and much higher resolution screen… 2.7” 630,000 pixels (including sub pixels)! Pentax calls this 230,000 dots (each dot has Red Green and Blue pixels).
PopPhoto has it as "76,700-pixel (230,000-dot)", which is more in line with the terminology I've seen elsewhere. I'd love for them to be wrong and for you to be right, but I also don't want to see questionable information undermine your basic points.
01-23-2008, 07:32 PM   #119
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote

PopPhoto has it as "76,700-pixel (230,000-dot)", which is more in line with the terminology I've seen elsewhere. I'd love for them to be wrong and for you to be right, but I also don't want to see questionable information undermine your basic points.
I followed a powerpoint created by Pentax and one slide stated 690,000 total pixels. I mean he screen physically looked better than the K10D's and was more in the style of the Sony A700 I had set beside it. I'm not sure who is wrong, but can only tell you what I've seen.
01-23-2008, 07:46 PM   #120
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote

I've seen it described as 230,000 dots* * one dot = 3 pixels on a Pentax site so I think Pop Photo got it wrong. Won't be the first time.