Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2008, 04:13 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Thanks Chris. That answers a couple of negatives other people might have over the K20D. Maybe you could post this over at the *other* forum? More people lurk there, and would get your well-written essay some exposure.

Any chance you could do a simple essay on the K200D as well?

Personally, Pentax seems to have engineered a great sensor, and, thanks to Samsung, they're now free of waiting on Sony to finish up on Nikon sensor orders before they get a crack at it themselves.

The K200D is certainly also interesting, being an entry-level camera with sealing. That's probably a first. Any word about actual Pentax-quoted prices? I read 800 euros over in Europe for the kit.

Last edited by vinzer; 01-23-2008 at 04:22 PM.
01-23-2008, 04:16 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kthung Quote
Well I guess it saves me $800 from wanting to upgrade my K100. But this begs the question. Aside for live view, why not just get a k10?
  • Dynamic Range Enlargement
  • new Dust Alert feature
  • bigger display
  • lighter
  • AA batteries
  • easy modes for when you lend your camera to others
01-23-2008, 04:18 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Chris
Thank you very much for the well written article...
I was thinking of the slow auto focus...With my DA* lenses, I find the auto focus speed to be quite good...I would say it is on par with my old D200, Certainly not worse..Now admiting ly I did not have any of the high end glass for my D200, but still even during daylight hours, it was not better than my K10D...Does this make sense or am I imagining things?
01-23-2008, 04:24 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Can you explain the Trap Focus Function a bit more?

Is it something you set a the custom function?

Trap focus, as I understand, should be used with manual focus, so the shutter would be triggered as soon as an object comes into focus at your preset focal point. So I am a bit confused when you are using Trap Focus together with AF-C.

01-23-2008, 04:24 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cajuncutter Quote
I have yet to find an MSRP on the 200. Any ideas or nothing official yet since the hype is all about the 20?
From the German brochure:
K20D = €1300
K200D = €800

I rounded these up by a euro since I refuse to play the game of nines.

At these prices I might be off to buy a K100D Super and invest the rest in lenses. In a few years I'll think about a new body, maybe when the AF is improved. Was waiting for today's announcement before making a decision.
01-23-2008, 04:25 PM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Priyantha Bleeker Quote
Well I think, that the K20D is more a concurrent of the be introduced D90 and maybe also a bit the Canon 40D but the 40D is a camera in an other class.

The K10D were also not a 1-1 comparable with the 30D.
Canon's 30D and 40D have a magnesium body more rugged faster AF(even the 30D) much faster FPS(even the 30D, let's don't talk about the 40D).

The Nikon D300 isn't really a concurrent for the K20D, the D300 is a camera with a much more robust body, a much better AF system. The max shutter speed of course twice as much, and flash sync also much higher. FPS speed is also much higher even without the extra battery grip(which is more advanced as the K10D/K20D grip with more buttons more place for batteries), let alone with the extra battery grip.

So no...the K20D is not really a worry for 'Nikon and 'Canon sales of their D300 and 40D.

But the K20D will be a success story for Pentax, I hope so. Not everybody needs a better AF system and more FPS and a more robust body and a higher flash sync speed
Many of the shooters just need LOW noise on high ISO's and a very good IQ But we don't know if that's the case without full size RAW files
I partly agree with you, the K20D, will lack after the competion in AF and FPS mainly, when it comes to how rugged it is, I think the K10D, stod up very well against the D200, enough to call them comparable.
I would actually expect the K20D, to be comparable to the D300/40D, but lacking in AF and FPS.

Speaking as one who does not need the AF ability in my pentax (got another body for that) it seems like a very good body at a very decent price, and I would imagine it being a pleasure with the FA43 and DA21...
Now if we only were able to see some more shots from it
01-23-2008, 04:25 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yawn City

So, you're saying that essentially the 'mind-blowing' new camera from Pentax is a K10D with a PC Sync connection and even smaller pixels?

Gee whiz, what a dud. Most certainly not turning the market on its head.

Oh wait, it has Live View. (That you can't use with autofocus.)

Oh wait again, it has 20fps. (At 1.6MP...)

Your review was one for the marketing books.

01-23-2008, 04:27 PM   #53

Let's see...
> Room in camera bag for additional body - CHECK
> Plenty of Pentax Limited glass - CHECK
> Credit Card with available funds - CHECK

Now when does this baby ship?
01-23-2008, 04:27 PM   #54

Thanks for the essay, Chris. Excellent information and easy to read.

I don't think I'll be rushing out to buy the K20D the day it hits the shelves but it sounds veeeeeeeeery interesting. I'm much more interested in the lenses.

One quick question...

Do you know anything about new accessories? I saw somewhere that new TCs were coming out. Anything else you know of? I'd love to see things like extension tubes (the 3 piece set), split prism focus screen, maybe even automatic bellows.

Just wondering.

Slick
01-23-2008, 04:29 PM   #55

QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
So, you're saying that essentially the 'mind-blowing' new camera from Pentax is a K10D with a PC Sync connection and even smaller pixels?

Gee whiz, what a dud. Most certainly not turning the market on its head.

Oh wait, it has Live View. (That you can't use with autofocus.)

Oh wait again, it has 20fps. (At 1.6MP...)

Your review was one for the marketing books.
This is an evolution of the K10D... not a revolution of the DSLR market. It looks like for the money it is a good upgrade. Especially if the sensor & image quality deliver.
01-23-2008, 04:32 PM   #56
Veteran Member

I'm disappointed. I know it is hard for a manufacturer to be everything to everyone, especially one that is only just making a comeback, but I fear this is it for me and Pentax. There were 2 things I needed in a new body; fast, accurate AF and FPS.

I am happy with the resolution of my K10D, as are the publishers I do work for. I am however reaching the limits of the AF system and having to consciously think about the shots I take because I know the camera won't be able to do it. I have shot with 'the other 2' and don't have to worry about this, they are spot on every time.

A good camera, perhaps, but a 40D and 300D beater it aint.
01-23-2008, 04:32 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jbcampbell Quote
This is an evolution of the K10D... not a revolution of the DSLR market. It looks like for the money it is a good upgrade. Especially is the sensor & image quality deliver.
I 100% agree.

It should really be called the K10D2. That's fine, but let's not proclaim it to be ground-breaking, like many here already have.
01-23-2008, 04:34 PM   #58
SouthShoreRob

firmware

Hey Chris,

Loved the essay and you touched base on pretty much all the main things I think one would need or like to know. My question is not about the new body - unless I win the lottery, I'll be a K10D guy for a while - but rather about firmware. Once this new model officially hits the store shelves, will this mean an end to K10 firmware updates? Are there any applicable features on the K20 that could be reverse-integrated into the K10 via firmware? Not sure I'm asking these questions the right way, but I think you get my drift...

Thanks,

Rob
01-23-2008, 04:36 PM   #59

QuoteOriginally posted by Duplo Quote
I partly agree with you, the K20D, will lack after the competion in AF and FPS mainly, when it comes to how rugged it is, I think the K10D, stod up very well against the D200, enough to call them comparable.
I would actually expect the K20D, to be comparable to the D300/40D, but lacking in AF and FPS.

Speaking as one who does not need the AF ability in my pentax (got another body for that) it seems like a very good body at a very decent price, and I would imagine it being a pleasure with the FA43 and DA21...
Now if we only were able to see some more shots from it

Well if you feel a 30D/40D and a D200 or a D300 and after that a K10D you will feel the difference.
The Canon and Nikon 'counterparts' are just tighter built more rugged
Mmm how can the K20D comparable to the D300 and 40D when it hasn't those AF and FPS performance like the Big two ?
01-23-2008, 04:37 PM   #60

QuoteOriginally posted by blwnhr Quote
...A good camera, perhaps, but a 40D and 300D beater it aint.
I think you have to hold & use the camera before you can make that statement. Specs are one thing but the image quality & build quality can't be put into words. I for one am very anxious to test drive this camera. Then I will be able to make comparisons to the other camera I have owned/used.