Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2008, 08:33 AM   #196
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
It will work on static objects however who needs continuous shooting on static objects?
Actually, it will work on anything that is not moving away or towards you. I shoot my daughter dancing and I usually hold down my shutter for multiple frames while spinning or leaping. This burst mode might work out for me by getting her and others in a perfect spin or mid-air position.

Miller

01-24-2008, 08:34 AM   #197
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by AnoLife Quote
In that last thing you are being wrong. There is being an different between movie and photo shots. If you look to a single shot of a movie then it is mostly like a photo that is moved. Like a photo with a too long shuttertime. You see that good on movies with much moving objects on it, like on a party.
The K20D just makes photos and then 21 low-size in a second. That is not bad.
Yes... I dismissed this feature as a gimmick as soon as I read it, but the more I think about it - this may actually be a pretty neat thing to try. It's not still frames from cheap P&S video, or even still frames from a very nice real video camera, it's an actual 1.6mp photo taken from a next-generation CMOS DSLR sensor. 20 of them, in one second.

The proof will be in the pudding, of course... but this may end up being pretty useful in more situations than people are realizing now.

I'm wondering what the range of shutter speed and ISO will be on these frames - if it will change from what the camera is set to for stills in P or TV mode - meaning does it jump right to the highest shutter speed and ISO available for that aperture when you're in this mode, or does it stay where you set it?
01-24-2008, 08:48 AM   #198
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Anastigmat Quote
I think Pentax made a mistake by not improving frame rate and AF. Nikon improved both when it brought out the D300. Now Pentax is even further behind in this regard versus the competition.

The decision to make a 14mp is a marketing one. Basically, the marketing department decided that a 14mp camera will be more attractive to consumers, who mostly shop on the basis of megapixel count and price. Pentax marketing appears to believe that it can charge much more money by maximizing megapixel count. This is basically the same camera as the K10D in terms of frame rate and durability, but it is introduced at a price that is much higher than that of its predecessor primarily because of megapixel count. The $1299 price is simply too high, in spite of the 14mp resolution, since Canon has just released a 12mp 450D that can do 3.5fps at $799. Is the extra 2mp worth $500? To many end users I doubt that it does.

I wish Samsung had applied its patented technology to maximize pixel size instead of pixel count. A more modest 12mp with larger individual pixels than those on the Sony A700 and Nikon D300 would have been a better alternative than 14mp.

Nevertheless, it is good news to see that Samsung has graduated to the APS-C size sensor class. The future hopefully will bring more and bigger sensors. After all, it could get ugly if the K30D has an 18-20 megapixel APS-C sensor and it shoots only 3fps. A 14-16mp full frame DSLR that can shoot 5fps should be Pentax's next goal. Perhaps Samsung can even make some medium format CMOS sensors for the Pentax 645D.
1. It not just the megapixel count, it is a vastly improved sensor. The CMOS technology is far superior to the CCD and is what makes those high pixel counts possible while mainatining or improving image quality.

2. I admit a 12MP with larger pixels for better dynamic range would have been a good compromise... But as yet the DR on the new sensor looks pretty darn good.

3. Full frame is not a holy grail. It is not needed with today's sensor technologies. it is a marketing gimmick to allow Canikon to claim that their full frame models are Pro cameras and anything else is amateur. Finally, it would also cause a sever disconnect in the Pentax lens roadmap. None of the DA* lenses would cover a full frame sensor.
01-24-2008, 08:51 AM   #199

With the exception of sport and wildlife shooters, I believe everyone will be satisfied by the new camera. Just consider that the almighty Nikon has nothing near the resolution of the K20D - even at the very highest of its range. If IQ proves to be as good as - if not better - than it's so-called "rivals" (A700, D300, 40D), then, you do really get more than what you pay for.
I eagerly wait for the first complete tests of real production units to surface.

01-24-2008, 08:53 AM   #200
raz

So..about the LCD..is basically the same LCD that the K100D and K10D has ? Only just bigger ? Or is it really more hi-resolution ?

I don't understand why pentax now refers as their lcd in having 230.000 dots and then saying 1 dot=3 pixels , so that means the LCD has 230.000 x 3 = 690.000 pixels ?

In the specifications of the K10D on the pentax site, they say their LCD has 210.000 pixels directly, not dots, so this means the K10D/K100D in fact has 70.000 dots ?
01-24-2008, 08:54 AM   #201
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TFTM Quote
I think its absolutely daft to think that us critics of the new camera were expecting D3 esque features. .... The IQ from what I've seen is bloody fantastic but the question remains how often will one be able to acheive such results? Unless conditions are perfect (which they rarely are) how will one acheive consistent, great IQ when shooting a band at a night club? ........

Well, in that example, don't discount what a next-generation sensor and processing could give you - much lower noise at higher ISO, better white balance, exceptional IQ - sounds like a pretty good nightclub shot to me.

Of course, if you're shooting a band that moves faster than 3fps can capture, you're shooting a spastic, amphetamine-laden punk band, and your camera is about to be smashed in the mosh pit anyway. (good thing it wasn't a $5000 D3!)
01-24-2008, 08:56 AM   #202
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Philippos Quote
With the exception of sport and wildlife shooters, I believe everyone will be satisfied by the new camera. Just consider that the almighty Nikon has nothing near the resolution of the K20D - even at the very highest of its range. If IQ proves to be as good as - if not better - than it's so-called "rivals" (A700, D300, 40D), then, you do really get more than what you pay for.
I eagerly wait for the first complete tests of real production units to surface.
I shoot motorcycle races with the K110D and K10D with no problem at all. Frankly I prefer to plan my shots and shoot off a couple of individual frames on each pass rather than "spraying and praying". High frame rates are not crucial if you know your subject. Do they come in handy sometimes? Sure, but they are not crucial.

01-24-2008, 08:56 AM   #203

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
No, it wouldn't be useful.

Pentax did not implement contrast detection autofocus and this burst mode will be without focussing. So, you'll get first picture in focus and the rest of pictures will be out of focus.

Also while mirror will be up, you won't be able to track object looking through viewfinder. I don't know if they switch on LiveView during that burst mode.

It will work on static objects however who needs continuous shooting on static objects?
If you are out on the golf course and want to take a picture of Tiger Woods just when he hit the ball, then you focus - and fire away when Tiger starts swinging. All 115 pictures will be perfectly focused and captured with a 'state of the art' CMOS-sensor.

Use your imagination and you'll find endless ways of exploring this novell DSLT-feature. Just try.

Pictures from the burst mode will have higher resolution than the screen on my laptop (1600x1000). Good enough for prints and web-pictures.

As a side note. The burst feature is probably a "free" side effect of the live view technology. So, Pentax had the option to give us the burst-feature - without allocating R&D.

I'm looking forward to the first pictures from the burst mode.

- Larsen.
01-24-2008, 08:57 AM   #204
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by raz Quote
So..about the LCD..is basically the same LCD that the K100D and K10D has ? Only just bigger ? Or is it really more hi-resolution ?

I don't understand why pentax now refers as their lcd in having 230.000 dots and then saying 1 dot=3 pixels , so that means the LCD has 230.000 x 3 = 690.000 pixels ?

In the specifications of the K10D on the pentax site, they say their LCD has 210.000 pixels directly, not dots, so this means the K10D/K100D in fact has 70.000 dots ?
Basically, yes, though it is still somewhat debated.
01-24-2008, 09:05 AM   #205

Finally the wait is over. hahaha.. Seems like nice upgrades.. Cant wait to see the reviews some of the European mags give it. Those guys are usually fair with their reviews. Can't wait to see them when they hit the stores and hear all the "super pro" Wolf/Ritz camera workers knock it cause it's still not a canon or nikon.

Great review Chris
01-24-2008, 09:08 AM   #206
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Philippos Quote
With the exception of sport and wildlife shooters, I believe everyone will be satisfied by the new camera.
You don't need to be sport shooter to feel limitations of current Pentax AF system. It's enough to have toddler. He/she will not freeze when you want to take picture.

Framerate is no importance for me (flash recycle time is too slow to keep up even with 1fps ) however AF is a real pain in the ass for a parent of a toddler.

I didn't have any problem with AF of Pentax DSLR (and thought it is more than adequate) until my daughter started to walk... Then I understood why some people are criticising (not bashing and not whining!) Pentax for it.

Manual focus, good K10D viewfinder, O-ME53 loupe and fast lens (closed down to f/4-f/5,6 to compensate manual focus errors) are my best friends now when taking pictures of my daughter. Entry level Canon and Nikon DSLR shooters just snap with ease perfectly focussed pictures of their kids with their slow kit lenses...
01-24-2008, 09:08 AM   #207
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Priyantha Bleeker Quote
Well I didn't
I just hoped for a real D300 contender in the SAME price league
But that wouldn't be a K10D replacement, would it?
I mean, Nikon did not replace the D80 with the D300...

There is room in the market for a "KnD" (K1D, K2D) and Pentax may release info on it's development at this years Photokina. They said in March last year that a high-end model, above the K10D replacement/upgrade, was at the drawing board. If we are lucky it may even be released before Christmas! But honestly, I do believe more in a PMA 2009 release.

Could be with the same 14.6 sensor, perhaps the K20D is just a "test drive" for it while Pentax/Samsung are working on even better versions for more upmarket bodies.
01-24-2008, 09:13 AM   #208
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Frakkas Quote
If you are out on the golf course and want to take a picture of Tiger Woods just when he hit the ball, then you focus - and fire away when Tiger starts swinging. All 115 pictures will be perfectly focused and captured with a 'state of the art' CMOS-sensor.

Use your imagination and you'll find endless ways of exploring this novell DSLT-feature. Just try.
OK, you have convinced me However then I would like some intermediate steps of 10fps @3.2Mpix and 5fps @6,4Mpix
01-24-2008, 09:37 AM   #209
Pentaxian

So....when should we expect that announcement from Canon that will overshadow the K20D? Wasn't that what some folks were saying?
01-24-2008, 09:57 AM   #210

Can't believe it, I have reached the (preliminary) end this thread
So as from many others my thanks to Chris (and Ben). I have just placed my preorder. What convinced me? Well, the sample shots, the high ISO plus the much more silent shutter (you can hear it in the Pentax movie on the K20D on youtube - link is on page 3? 4? 5? of this thread). Since I often shoot concerts, the shutter noise is critical for me. Not nice to get stabbed by frowns
Now I am looking forward to March - and hoping the 60-250 will come out soon (PLEEEEEAASE!!!!)