Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2008, 02:55 PM   #241
Mef
Inactive Account

I give you my humble opinion, because I've not seen the word anywhere, I believe.

The K20D looks to me like a highly creative tool. Thought and made to help the photographers to be more creative. And that's all that matters to me.

01-24-2008, 02:56 PM   #242
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Priyantha Bleeker Quote
Well Codiac, that's a easy photo isn't it ?
The K10D would do it not a lot worse than that in that situation.

I would like to see a difficult light situation with high ISO, like the lightning in dancing clubs and other indoor low lightning events.
And some of them famed ISO 6400 shots, too...
01-24-2008, 03:33 PM   #243
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
IQ at ISO1600
Well, look at the white sign. Its background is supposed to be white and uniform. Why at the top it is white, then it becomes reddish and then some mud-green.

How do you call such undesirable effect?
01-24-2008, 03:34 PM   #244
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
Well, look at the white sign. Its background is supposed to be white and uniform. Why at the top it is white, then it becomes reddish and then some mud-green.

Because "THAT IS WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE"....Geez....There was a red truck just to the right of the sign with big black windows...That is a reflector sign

01-24-2008, 03:39 PM   #245
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote

I think this undesirable effect is called "real world". It is not a 3D render.
01-24-2008, 03:40 PM   #246
Veteran Member

OK..Here Goes..Again!

There were over 100 journalists at the Press conference I attended and the response was very, very positive, especially when they tried it out on a top model from Ford Agency...They had a blast and they saw the results immediately. Oh and by the way, I am quite critical of Pentax, more often behind closed doors than in the public. Yeah...My shit stinks just like everyone else. I don't think I have ever suggested for a moment that people follow my "Mantra" if that is what you wish to call it. Just take the F--ING photos and share them here as many of us do. That is the object of passion for the real artist, the real photographer. None the less, for those who find that the K20D is not up to scratch, perhaps it has more to do with being less in the field taking doing photography than in front of a screen counting pixels.

Last edited by benjikan; 01-24-2008 at 04:48 PM.
01-24-2008, 03:42 PM   #247
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mutley Quote
Brochure pics were done with a Canon. You know, as Ben says, they hire an agency, the agency has meetings, they choose a photographer, he is offered tons of money, he uses whatever he uses, as the Ad Agency is just expecting results, and they design the brochure after a bunch of other meetings.

They don't just hand some professional photographer a K20D, and tell him to go take pictures because then they could have given Ben some work.
Well, in that case they probably also took the time to fake the EXIF...

Last edited by lol101; 04-06-2008 at 08:21 AM.
01-24-2008, 03:44 PM   #248
Veteran Member

That ISO 1600 shot looks pretty nice to me....does anyone know about how noise looks in dark areas yet? One issue I noticed with my K10D is that noise in dark areas (say shooting a 200ISO in the middle of the day but into a darkened forest line) was pretty evident....any information on that?
01-24-2008, 04:18 PM   #249
Not Registered

The mantra thingy is not a critic directed to you but to your entourage. You do what you do and you can be proud of it or not (obviously you are). Since I think that I know what you are looking for here we go: "YOU ARE A BETTER PHOTOGRAPHER THAN ME, HENCE I DONT HAVE ANY RIGHT TO DOUBT WHATEVER THING YOU WANT TO SELL ME. I AM GOING TO BUY ALL THE PENTAX EQUIPMENT, ALL THE MAGAZINES PUBLISHING YOUR WORK AND JOINT ALL THE COMMUNITIES WHERE YOU ARE INVOLVED". BTW you dont want to share photos with me, you just want to trash whatever I would post. Actually that is not true, you would leave your entourage (yes I learnt this word recently) do that work for you. To me the real passion of photography is to do pictures I dont need to post them just to show up how good photographer I am and how much attention should the people pay to what I do. I am a mediocre hobbyist at best but I think that I have the right to express what I think. And yes, I am sure that all the people thinking that the new camera is not the best camera of the world is an ignorant measurbator-pixel-peeper. And as an ignorant like me deserves to be ignored, please ignore me and keep up with your BS.

Enjoy,

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
There were over 100 journalists at the Press conference I attended and the response was very, very positive, especially when they tried it out on a top model from Ford Agency...They had a blast and they saw the results immediately. Oh and by the way, I am quite critical of Pentax, more often behind closed doors than in the public. Yeah...My shit stinks just like everyone else. I don't think I have ever suggested for a moment that people follow my "Mantra" if that is what you wish to call it. Just take the F--ING photos and share them here as many of us do. That is the object of passion for the real artist, the real photographer. None the less, for those who find that the K20D is not up to scratch, perhaps it has more to do with being less inthe field than in front of a screen counting pixels.
01-24-2008, 04:19 PM   #250
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gruoso Quote
The mantra thingy is not a critic directed to you but to your entourage. You do what you do and you can be proud of it or not (obviously you are). Since I think that I know what you are looking for here we go: "YOU ARE A BETTER PHOTOGRAPHER THAN ME, HENCE I DONT HAVE ANY RIGHT TO DOUBT WHATEVER THING YOU WANT TO SELL ME. I AM GOING TO BUY ALL THE PENTAX EQUIPMENT, ALL THE MAGAZINES PUBLISHING YOUR WORK AND JOINT ALL THE COMMUNITIES WHERE YOU ARE INVOLVED". BTW you dont want to share photos with me, you just want to trash whatever I would post. Actually that is not true, you would leave your entourage (yes I learnt this word recently) do that work for you. To me the real passion of photography is to do pictures I dont need to post them just to show up how good photographer I am and how much attention should the people pay to what I do. I am a mediocre hobbyist at best but I think that I have the right to express what I think. And yes, I am sure that all the people thinking that the new camera is not the best camera of the world is an ignorant measurbator-pixel-peeper. And as an ignorant like me deserves to be ignored, please ignore me and keep up with your BS.

Enjoy,
I rest my case...

Thank You.
01-24-2008, 04:26 PM   #251
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
I rest my case...

Thank You.
My pleasure
01-24-2008, 04:42 PM   #252
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well. Its an interesting read from the begiining to this point, which is obviously not the end, rather a pause while combatants draw breath.

What I find interesting is that when the K10D was released there was a rash of criticism on Image Quailty (IQ), all because of one rather infamous review and opinion on jpegs. The debate then raged that IQ WAS everything, the end all and the be all!! That was said time and time again by the detractors.

It would appear that now Pentax have gone to great lengths to address this issue of IQ to offer the best on the market (is that not the inference now?). This does not appear to satisfy everyone, just giving credence to the fact that you can't please all the people all the time.

Again, until the K20 is out there in the market place we have to rely on the opinions of those who have been entrusted with a copy, such as Ben, Codiac etc and while it can be argued that they will say favourable things about the product because Pentax have supplied them, it is also fair to say that they are Professionals and their credibility is also on the line...I for one happen to believe that 'they' will value that Professionalism and credibility way beyond anything else.

...but, its been a good read thus far...so settle back folks for the next edition...its about to start right now. And just imagine what'll happen when the rice burner enters the fray.
Cheers

Last edited by Mallee Boy; 01-24-2008 at 04:48 PM.
01-24-2008, 05:53 PM   #253
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think it's time to shut this one down. Lo siento.
01-24-2008, 05:54 PM   #254
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PaulAndAPentax Quote
That ISO 1600 shot looks pretty nice to me....does anyone know about how noise looks in dark areas yet? One issue I noticed with my K10D is that noise in dark areas (say shooting a 200ISO in the middle of the day but into a darkened forest line) was pretty evident....any information on that?
Check out the original size image on smugmug and you will see unmistakable horizontal pattern noise in the blue areas of the signs. It is present on some of the other images shot at ISO 100, as well. Hopefully this will be eliminated in the final production camera. Otherwise, the IQ of all of the images I have seen is extraordinary.

I am very appreciative of Ben taking the time to post these photos. I have a feeling that Phil will be more impressed by the K20D than he was by the K10D. Of course, the competition is getting better too, and that is what the Pentax camera will be compared with.

Rob
01-24-2008, 06:06 PM   #255

I think if anything, this camera will reveal the reviewers true colors. If they can find anything wrong with this camera as a photographic tool, then it may in fact be purely arbitrary and meaningless.

Couple the new features on a Rebel or a D40 and you'll have reviewers giddy like children in a candy store. But these features from a Pentax? They'll always find something to nit pick.

For what it is, I think the K20D looks like a great tool. Compared to others so far, I think it looks like a great tool still, but other cameras are other cameras and with different features. Not every system is offering the same thing obviously and if you want some feature from another system... start saving to build another system. Even though my K10D fits like a glove, I'm thinking of building a used system from the competition. It won't kill you to have 2 systems or a system and a half. It's not treason.

I think more awards are coming up because there are some pretty nifty features in store. Enough features for me to upgrade soon? Maybe not soon, because I don't know why I'll need it now.

I can already see from the naysayers, nitpickers, and nose pickers that most criticisms are competition based, not much to do with the actual camera... besides the low MP burst rate. The platform of comparison doesn't do justice to what this camera will be. I think it will be solid as a rock.