Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2008, 05:25 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilm_user Quote
Agreed - that ISO 1600 shot is making my resistance crumble a little bit... very usable indeed. <sigh>
But plenty of horizontal pattern noise. Hopefully, this can be fixed in firmware. The ISO 3200 shot in ePhotozine is noisy beyond what I could use. Based on these two photos, it would appear that ISO 1600 is the reasonable limit, but that could change with the final production camera.

Rob

01-24-2008, 05:41 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ray Pulley Quote
Ben,

There are going to be some very disappointed folks if we cannot find any VPN (which I have re-named "Vertical Pentax Noise").

Well, it seems that the gripe of the day has turned to fps and AFC, so maybe we can finally leave the VPN behindRay
Unfortunately, there is horizontal banding in several of the images shot at ISO 100. View them at original size, and you cannot miss it.

Resolution is phenomenal, and there is a lifelike qualtiy to the photos that I find amazing, even in these casual snapshots. Were they shot as jpegs? Just look at the door handle at original size. It will be very interesting to see comparisons with competing cameras from other manufacturers. The bar is being steadily raised, and Pentax may now be at or near the top in terms of IQ, at least at low ISO.

Rob
01-24-2008, 07:58 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
But plenty of horizontal pattern noise. Hopefully, this can be fixed in firmware. The ISO 3200 shot in ePhotozine is noisy beyond what I could use. Based on these two photos, it would appear that ISO 1600 is the reasonable limit, but that could change with the final production camera.

Rob
That 3200 shot is also mightily underexposed. I'm not surprised it's noisy in such a situation. We need properly exposed 3200 shots, to judge fairly.
01-24-2008, 08:47 PM   #64

That resolution and detail is amazing masterchong.com*-*Pentax K20D Official Sample Photos looking at the image of the village over at MaSter Chongs. I mean its that good its almost an invasion of privacy. Any better I COULD see what they were watching on TV.

01-24-2008, 08:55 PM   #65

I havent seen these iso 1600 shot before masterchong.com*-*Pentax K20D ISO1600 ISO800 Sample Photos noise and detail are great.
01-24-2008, 11:03 PM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Please Mutley, I like you, but can you ask with some semblance of empathy?

Thank You...

Ben
Whatever, but I wasn't asking you to do anything, nor was I calling you, in particular, "gushing".

I was speaking in general that I was glad to see you had critiques because at least, you have Pentax's ear.

And, in general, I commented that a beta tester (in general) is more effective if not just gushing considering, unlike you as a sponsored photographer (yes, I know, not an employee), how haphazardly Pentax chooses its regular non-photographer "real world" NDA beta testers.

I realize Pentax themselves have put me in their ignore list, and if they read this forum they've surely not even read or looked seriously into any of my suggestions. The same would result with a quickly tossed out letter if I wrote another one.

As you are aware, I won't be able to come close to affording a K20D (imagine someone actually not having a spare measly $1200!) for at least 18 months when prices drop at least 40% (hopefully), the same going for the K10D if it was priced at this level back in 2006.
01-25-2008, 01:57 AM   #67
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mutley Quote
Whatever, but I wasn't asking you to do anything, nor was I calling you, in particular, "gushing".

I was speaking in general that I was glad to see you had critiques because at least, you have Pentax's ear.

And, in general, I commented that a beta tester (in general) is more effective if not just gushing considering, unlike you as a sponsored photographer (yes, I know, not an employee), how haphazardly Pentax chooses its regular non-photographer "real world" NDA beta testers.

I realize Pentax themselves have put me in their ignore list, and if they read this forum they've surely not even read or looked seriously into any of my suggestions. The same would result with a quickly tossed out letter if I wrote another one.

As you are aware, I won't be able to come close to affording a K20D (imagine someone actually not having a spare measly $1200!) for at least 18 months when prices drop at least 40% (hopefully), the same going for the K10D if it was priced at this level back in 2006.
No Mutley, not "What ever"....That is the reason I wrote you my note..Deal with the "What ever" and we can talk about your concerns more seriously.

Thank You and Best Wishes
Ben

01-25-2008, 03:03 AM   #68
Veteran Member

No Mutley, not "What ever"....That is the reason I wrote you my note..Deal with the "What ever" and we can talk about your concerns more seriously.

Thank You and Best Wishes
Ben
Good thing I wrote all those other words...

I wrote "whatever" because I have no disrespect for you, nor, as in those other words I wrote, did I mean any disrespect in the previous post. Anything I've ever written to or about you was nothing compared to the countless posters that constantly call you arrogant, full of BS, etc., but you don't seem to mind them as much as one misunderstood post (or any posts) from me.
01-25-2008, 03:23 AM   #69
Busiko

Il faut attendre jusqu'au debut de Mars donc!!
01-25-2008, 08:57 AM   #70
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mutley Quote
Good thing I wrote all those other words...

I wrote "whatever" because I have no disrespect for you, nor, as in those other words I wrote, did I mean any disrespect in the previous post. Anything I've ever written to or about you was nothing compared to the countless posters that constantly call you arrogant, full of BS, etc., but you don't seem to mind them as much as one misunderstood post (or any posts) from me.
That is because I DO have the greatest respect for who you are, what you are capable of and your intelligence.

Have a Great Weekend and buy a Corned Beef Sandwich for me....I miss that shit....Oh and don't forget the Sour Dill...

Ben
01-25-2008, 08:58 AM   #71
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Busiko Quote
Il faut attendre jusqu'au debut de Mars donc!!
Oui..Le premier semaine de Mars seulement.

Ben
01-25-2008, 05:06 PM   #72
Veteran Member

Original Poster
New Image

I just uploaded another image shot with the 16-45 on the K20D at "Smugmug"

benjikan : photos : Pentax K20D- powered by SmugMug

Ben
01-25-2008, 05:26 PM   #73
Inactive Account

I haven't said much because I try to avoid the after thought talk but I'm very happy that Pentax went CMOS for better dealing with long exposures. Don't care much for a faster frame rate just as long as image quality is great. I have the 16-45 lens and it appears the new camera takes a nice pic with it. I'm looking forward to seeing how the K20D deals with a 30 sec exposure.

Tim H

By the way Ben, thanks for the pictures and you're dealing with the after thought talk well!
01-25-2008, 05:33 PM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Timbuctoo Quote
I'm looking forward to seeing how the K20D deals with a 30 sec exposure.
Or a 5 minute (plus) exposure. (Think astrophotography with a clock drive.)

"Enquiring minds want to know!"
01-25-2008, 05:48 PM   #75
Veteran Member

I just uploaded another image shot with the 16-45 on the K20D at "Smugmug"

benjikan : photos : Pentax K20D- powered by SmugMug

Ben
OT, but what the hell are all those cable boxes on the ledge?!?