Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2008, 10:41 AM   #46
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The IQ in the 1600 shot is great. Very usable 1600!!!

01-24-2008, 10:44 AM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
The IQ in the 1600 shot is great. Very usable 1600!!!
Agreed - that ISO 1600 shot is making my resistance crumble a little bit... very usable indeed. <sigh>
01-24-2008, 10:47 AM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
I didn't do any Fashion stuff at all. Had the camera for about five days.

Ben
That S*cks... Was hoping you'd shot at least one or 2 models. Oh well....
01-24-2008, 10:51 AM   #49
raz

benjikan, maybe you can upload a raw file (maybe a high iso - 1600 ?) on RapidShare: 1-Click Webhosting , they have very good bandwith, and you don't need an account to upload.

Also Free file hosting and online storage let you upload big files, but the bandwith is not so good.

I would really like to see how the noise appear in the raw file compared to K100D, in that aspect the K100D was really very good , the noise was present but was very small (K100D - iso 1600 raw->jpg no NR whatsoever in software, no sharpening http://raz.ro/temp/imgp7701.jpg). But if I taken the image directly in JPG, this image looked a lot worse for the K100D, so I wonder how is the diference between raw/jpg in the new cameras

01-24-2008, 10:58 AM   #50
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I found an image shot at 1600 iso...I couldn't upload a DNG. Sorry.

Here it is:

benjikan : photos : Pentax K20D- powered by SmugMug
Thanks, its a fine shot, quite reassuring. It tells me that 1600 is a viable option on the K20D (at least for me) seems about on par with 400ish on the K10D to my eyes, an impressive gain to be sure. With each ISO doubling gaining two stops to low light performance, this sensor grants us roughly 4 stops of increased performance in such conditions, and with expanded dynamic range. Seems like a concert shooters dream.
01-24-2008, 11:54 AM   #51
Veteran Member

iso 1600 pic

That's really nice and clean at 1600- now I want one (glad I've been saving my extra $$$) Only downside is I really wanted the new 300mm f4 too Can't swing both right away ....decisions....
01-24-2008, 12:11 PM   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
That's really nice and clean at 1600- now I want one (glad I've been saving my extra $$$) Only downside is I really wanted the new 300mm f4 too Can't swing both right away ....decisions....
Glass is always more important than yet another new camera... What's the point of a new camera if you can't take photos you want because you are lacking long top quality glass?

01-24-2008, 12:16 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Thank you very much Ben for sharing these photos.

Your shots show the K20D is already a very capable camera, noise is well handled at 1600iso even with a non final firmware.
01-24-2008, 03:14 PM   #54
Veteran Member

I have sent my critiques to Pentax France who forwarded them to Pentax, Japan.

Ben
You had critiques? Great. In order to continually improve the product, Pentax needs beta testers willing to point out areas that should be improved, without reservation, rather than gushing people.
01-24-2008, 03:33 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by raz Quote
benjikan, maybe you can upload a raw file (maybe a high iso - 1600 ?) on RapidShare: 1-Click Webhosting , they have very good bandwith, and you don't need an account to upload.
Rapidshare sucks. If you don't have an account they actually make you wait between downloads.

Sharebee.com is easier to upload, and doesn't make downloaders wait. Upload all the full sized RAW files you want.
01-24-2008, 03:47 PM   #56
raz

Rapidshare doesn't suck at all.

How the heck is easier than rapidshare to upload ? On rapidshare to upload you need just one click and that's it. And your crappy recommended site has an upload speed of 30KBytes/sec from Europe compared to the full 200 I'm getting when uploading to rapidshare. I recommended rapidshare(an european site) knowing that they have great speed especially in Europe and Benjamin is in France, Europe and talking about only one raw, not many from my understanding. And if he wants more raws to upload, he can make a zip or rar out of 6-7 files (the limit is 100MB).

And btw mutley, where is the HDTV , 16:9 and APS-H on K20D you kept intoxicating us some days ago ? Who lied to you or it was just your invention ?

Last edited by raz; 01-24-2008 at 03:52 PM.
01-24-2008, 03:48 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mutley Quote
You had critiques? Great. In order to continually improve the product, Pentax needs beta testers willing to point out areas that should be improved, without reservation, rather than gushing people.
You know something Mutley...You have shown a total lack of respect in the mode in which you communicate with me and others for that matter. Here is my suggestion. Get a piece of paper and write a letter.

I am NOT employed by Pentax and am certainly NOT employed by you. I am NOT your messenger...

I will make a concerted effort to not respond to your queries until you acquire the capacity to communicate in a more civil manner. If you actually started to enjoy the process of capturing images and expressing yourself through that form of expression, you might find a channel to vent some of your own frustration and angst. It is good therapy.

Please Mutley, I like you, but can you ask with some semblance of empathy? The word please might be a could start.

Thank You...

Ben

Last edited by benjikan; 01-24-2008 at 04:13 PM.
01-24-2008, 03:56 PM   #58
Veteran Member

The 1600 ISO shot is reason in itself for anyone that works in low light to want the upgrade...it seems that a wedding photographer could do well with the K20D working in low light...
01-24-2008, 03:56 PM   #59
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have just gotten back from the press conference. As you all know the specifications, I will upload untouched JPEG's right off of the camera compression moderately in PS at 10/12.

I will upload 1 meg images here and will give you a link to a site that can host larger images...

So hang on...

Here Goes.

I am sorry ADAM I have tried several times to upload here and get:
Sorry, benjikan: Bad Type - File is of the Wrong MIME Type

Go here to view K20D images

benjikan : photos : Pentax K20D- powered by SmugMug

or

benjikan Gallery photos from the PhotographyREVIEW.com Gallery

Ben
Ben,

First of all, thanks for the images. The resolution looks to be quite amazing.

However, you did not shoot any ISO 3200 images 3.5 stops underexposed pushed in PP to expose underlyng VPN

There are going to be some very disappointed folks if we cannot find any VPN (which I have re-named "Vertical Pentax Noise").

Well, it seems that the gripe of the day has turned to fps and AFC, so maybe we can finally leave the VPN behind.

If the high ISO tests look anything like the few initial images I have seen so far, I will definitely be upgrading to this camera.

This body is shaping up to be a wedding and portrait monster! Probably a good landscape tool as well. Extremely fine resolution at low ISO for portrait work, and what looks to be a significant improvment at the high ISO ranges for hand-held wedding and other low light shooting.

Ray
01-24-2008, 04:02 PM   #60
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ray Pulley Quote
Ben,

First of all, thanks for the images. The resolution looks to be quite amazing.

However, you did not shoot any ISO 3200 images 3.5 stops underexposed pushed in PP to expose underlyng VPN

There are going to be some very disappointed folks if we cannot find any VPN (which I have re-named "Vertical Pentax Noise").

Well, it seems that the gripe of the day has turned to fps and AFC, so maybe we can finally leave the VPN behind.

If the high ISO tests look anything like the few initial images I have seen so far, I will definitely be upgrading to this camera.

This body is shaping up to be a wedding and portrait monster! Probably a good landscape tool as well. Extremely fine resolution at low ISO for portrait work, and what looks to be a significant improvment at the high ISO ranges for hand-held wedding and other low light shooting.

Ray

Nah...I'm leaving Pentax and migrating to the new "Sears" Snap it Quick camera..No one to bitch about it, as there are seven users in the world. It is amazing. It can take "Pitchers" 75 pixels that can be blown up to 1x1.5 inches about the size of...Nah. Anyways.......

It was nice knowing you all...I'm off to the Funny Farm...BBBBYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEE