Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2008, 06:07 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by time-snaps Quote
...ok. enough about this K20D. Move along folks there is nothing to see here.

Nice work on the sensor, but lets put this beauty into a proper body (alloy or dare I say it, Titanium) that has some of the fastest focus, best fps and 16bit colour and give LiveView a miss please...

oh, and can the K1 please have the following:

- audio annotations (shutter pressed, sound recorded for user specified period) Photojournalists will thank you (don't bother with Video!)
- GPS data captured with image and addded to EXIF
- wifi built in, or at least available with an optional grip
- allow it to connect devices and disks via standard USB interface (so you won't need a PC for file transfer)
- option to hide images
- 100% viewfinder

seems all doable and would make for a good journalist camera!
Before Pentax enters the Pro market, they will need to beef up their selection of lenses, flashes, etc. Pros will not be seduced by a camera alone. I'm not really sure that it would be wise for them to compete for that segment of the market, as it will be very costly and risky. Remember, Canon and Nikon are fierce competitors, who are constantly upgrading their own products. However, if Hoya is willing to take the risk and treat a pro level SLR as a proving ground for technology to be used in lower level cameras, then it will be all the better for us, but somehow, I doubt that they will.

Rob

Last edited by robgo2; 01-24-2008 at 06:11 PM. Reason: grammar
01-24-2008, 07:18 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
1) Audio: Not a bad idea. I was gonna say that it's a bit of a wank, but since we've now got MP3 players the size of my little toe that can do it, it wouldn't be too much of a problem. Hell, Pentax has hooked up with Samsung, who make such things for a living. Not a bad idea.

It would be simple, and handy - but also a novelty feature to lure in the consumers.

With the way their combining journalism jobs today (ie, you'd better be able to shoot and write) - it would indeed be handy. Great for photo essays, too.
Not novelty, the EOS 1D/1Ds and Nikon D2/D3 all have this feature.

QuoteQuote:
2) GPS: Eh, I remember seeing an April Fool's Day ad for this in an Aus magazine from about ten years back - "It records the location of the camera at the time of the shot - as well as the height, azimuth, and angle of elevation, to allow you to perfectly recreate shots from pros using the same camera!" (It also had self-developing slide film as part of the gag - a string of mounted slides that would somehow be able to roll back up into a 35mm canister.)

If it is for photojournalism - war photography especially - you'd better be able to combine it with feature 5.
Another feature that's de rigeur on CaNikon pro bodies.

QuoteQuote:
3) WIFI: I do believe they have SD cards with that built in nowadays. Never been a fan, mostly. Gimme some CAT5.
Also available as a dongle for CaNikon Pro bodies. The Live View capable bodies also use this to give Live Tethered View over WiFi (really useful for remote cameras). That SD card is a gimmick in comparison.

QuoteQuote:
4) Better USB connectivity: A simply excellent idea! I'd love to have a second hand Laptop drive (or better yet, a fancy new solid state one) in a case on my belt, and happily snapping away, knowing I've got a 160gig card attached to my camera. That cost me a total of $100.

You could use a high-capacity SD card as extra buffer memory - this would entail separating the memory-writing processor from the image processor, as if you're shooting fast, you don't want the writing to bog down the image processing.

Also, by using the SD as a buffer, it can save a few hundred images in case the USB gets unplugged. Be able to set it so that a user-specified amount of images gets dumped to the HDD - a hundred, fifty, ten, forty-two, or one gig, two gig, etc.
USB Mass Storage is available with the WiFi dongle from Canon on the mkIII's and IIRC Nikon does as well on the D3/D300 with the WiFi dongle

QuoteQuote:
5) Hide Image settings: Beats sticking the SD in a condom and sticking it up your arse. Those things are pointy.
Deleting and not overwriting accomplishes this.

QuoteQuote:
6) 100% viewfinder: All cameras should have this. The early Nikon F's did, well, the had more than 100%, which is why journalists loved 'em. Rangefinders do, but rangefinders don't go beyond 135mm.
Also de rigeur on pro bodies (As the Nikon F was. Note it only offered 100%, not more than 100%). Non-pro bodies (including all common SLR's other than the Nikon F in the 60's) have pretty much always had less than 100% coverage.
01-24-2008, 07:50 PM   #18
and
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I would love a k1d and I am hoping for it. But my guesses are they will now start evolving the k20d into the k30d for next year where they focus on af and metering...
01-24-2008, 09:14 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
I would love a k1d and I am hoping for it. But my guesses are they will now start evolving the k20d into the k30d for next year where they focus on af and metering...
this would makes sense. The sensor seems to leave the competitors in the dust (perhaps literally), but if you are going to capitalize on the high ISO you also need a low EV number so you can use it.

Another MODE needs to be added to the camera as well. that is an FP mode for Focus Priority. In the Focus priority mode, rather than just looking at all the focus points and then punting, it will look at all the focus points, and calculate the depth of field required
to get them all in focus, and then tweak the T, A, and ISO as needed to acheive the focus
accross the photo. It shouldn't be a big deal to do this if the focus control mechanism is smart enough to return the distance of the object at each focal point. Once the distance
of all the focal points are known, software should be able to return the preferred F stop to produce the required depth of field.

This is much more intelligent than having a 'depth of field' bias in the program mode.

01-25-2008, 08:06 PM   #20
Veteran Member

K1D needs to be FULL FRAME! Enough playing games already!

Lenses (zooms) need to be CONSTANT aperture, fast, tip top image quality - and include some major teles (like the 250 - 600 f 5.6, or Sigma's drool inducing 300 - 800 f 5.6).

If they want to be revolutionary with cost management, make 'em MANUAL focus K(A) mount! The glass is what matters, not the gizmos!

We need a ring flash for macro work, too (don't think my Sunpack that I use with my LX's works with the dSLRs).

Oh, and I'll 2nd the motion for the mechanical lens coupling for full metered manual with K(M) lenses
01-25-2008, 08:35 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by time-snaps Quote

Nice work on the sensor, but lets put this beauty into a proper body (alloy or dare I say it, Titanium)
You are joking right? You know how hard it is to machine and form Titanium? The "body" itself (without the "camera" internals) would probably cost hundreds (thousands?) of dollars. Weight savings over cast magnesium would be insignificant, and durability would be no greater.

Heck, why not design a camera body with crumple zones so the 'cheap' exterior gets damaged, saving the precious internal electronics? Styrofoam anyone?

Don't get me wrong, I'll burn my money if I'm stuck in the desert without a source of fuel for a fire, but until I have scorpions trying to crawl up my butt I'm not going to shell out the cash for a titanium camera.

Save it for bike frames.
01-25-2008, 09:33 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I guess you have never seen the Olympus OM4T have you? There was also a Nikon F3T and if I remember correctly Pentax built a limited edition LX titanium. All of these were less expensive than the K20 body. It's an extremely strong body material but will dent fairly easily. The magnesium body that canon uses will not dent --just cracks I know because I had one.
01-25-2008, 10:02 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kent vinyard Quote
I guess you have never seen the Olympus OM4T have you? There was also a Nikon F3T and if I remember correctly Pentax built a limited edition LX titanium. All of these were less expensive than the K20 body. It's an extremely strong body material but will dent fairly easily. The magnesium body that canon uses will not dent --just cracks I know because I had one.
I guess I was thinking more frame than outer plates...I guess it's not that complicated. I stand corrected, Ti is feasible.

Tooling Ti though is still too costly, IMHO. These are "special edition" bodies, not something that will compete in a price conscious market. Plus, with inflation and the increased cost of high quality production, I still think today's price for a Ti body would be through the roof.

I once read that to build a lens like the 50/1.4 SMC Takumar today, by hand with the exacting mechanical tolerances would cost in the range of $1600. Sure, mechanization will bring that down, but look at the 16-50...despite machines building lenses, we do not live in an age of exacting tolerances.

01-26-2008, 09:02 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kent vinyard Quote
The steel chassis and industrial plastic on the K--D is MORE than strong enough. My GX-10 was run over by a car, destroying the viewfinder, the outer plastic shell and the bottom lid kind of melted from the friction. All it needed was a new VF, a new SD board, shell and voilá. Everything is still perfectly aligned and sturdy. Why yould you need more resistance than that? In a situation like that I would expect the whole camera to be completely ruined.
01-26-2008, 09:18 AM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by ricardobeat Quote
My GX-10 was run over by a car, destroying the viewfinder, the outer plastic shell and the bottom lid kind of melted from the friction. All it needed was a new VF, a new SD board, shell and voilá. Everything is still perfectly aligned and sturdy.

(don't try this at home...)
01-26-2008, 08:55 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Stainless steel is fine with me. I always hated the Pentax obsession with making their cameras smaller and lighter, since that makes the camera-lens combination get front heavy (and thus tiring to hold) not to mention it makes the camera hard to hold given my hand size without unintentionally pushing some damn button. The K10D feels MUCH better in hand than the *stD for that reason. No need for exotic metals, just get us a full frame capture device
01-27-2008, 09:32 AM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by 24X36NOW Quote

Lenses (zooms) need to be CONSTANT aperture, fast, tip top image quality - and include some major teles (like the 250 - 600 f 5.6, or Sigma's drool inducing 300 - 800 f 5.6).

If they want to be revolutionary with cost management, make 'em MANUAL focus K(A) mount! The glass is what matters, not the gizmos!

We need a ring flash for macro work, too (don't think my Sunpack that I use with my LX's works with the dSLRs).

Oh, and I'll 2nd the motion for the mechanical lens coupling for full metered manual with K(M) lenses
You're dreaming if you think that MF super-tele's would be competitive on the market today. Oh, and your Sunpack will work just fine on a DSLR, in manual mode (Which is not an issue for Macro) or get the Sony LED Ringlight, which also works fine.

FF is no panacea. In fact the K20D will have better IQ (Resolution and High ISO noise) than a 5D and better resolution than a D3. FF will come eventually, but it isn't a must have.

The main issue with Pentax's lens line is the lack of production capacity.
01-27-2008, 09:51 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 24X36NOW Quote

Ok, I see your point in the "me-too" crowd with FF, but problem, What lenses will be offered with it? Pentax has all but stoped production of every FF lens they have with a few super expensive options like the 300 F2.8 and 600 F4 along with the consumer 28-105 and the 2 DFA Macros and the Limited lenses (oh and the 50mm) But aside from about 5-6 lenses that are already hard to come by what are you mounting on the FF body? A old SMC-M lens? I am sure that will win over the Nikon and Canon people right away "Hey everyone, we have a great FF body, exclent IQ, fully featured and you have to search Ebay for old MF lenses (afordable, sort of) or FA* AF lenses that cost double their C&N (new) counterparts (pentax) USED! in order to cover our great new full frame sensor."
Face the facts Pentax does not have the production power in lenses to produce enough New FF glass for a while. Just look at all the hang ups with the new DA*/SDM line They are constantly backordered and price will not drop on them till they can at least meet demand.
Your asking for a body that is not supported with lenses, or could even be supported with NEW lenses for a while.

Now I agree with mechinical cupuling for the old lenses, but this is a nitch feature for us old MF glass die-hards that don't want to jump through the hoops to meter with existing bodies.

I just wish everyone would chill on the FF issue. If you think its so good and soooo needed for your work, get a Canon or Nkion cus it aint gona happen any time soon with this system.
01-27-2008, 10:59 AM   #29
Busiko

RF 6x9

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
1)

6) 100% viewfinder: All cameras should have this. The early Nikon F's did, well, the had more than 100%, which is why journalists loved 'em. Rangefinders do, but rangefinders don't go beyond 135mm.
You are wrong.
Attached Images

01-27-2008, 11:40 AM   #30
DAZ
Veteran Member

People seem to think that metal is always better then plastic and that plastic is always cheaper then metal. This is not always the case so properties of the material must be carefully matched to the task. Graphite reinforced polycarbonate is stronger weigh to ultimate strength (creaked or dent) then cast magnesium. The engineering needed to make the shape and the modeling for the graphite reinforced polycarbonate may make it more expensive then the cost of the cast magnesium. This can mean you can make the graphite reinforced polycarbonate a little stronger and still weigh less then the magnesium camera body. Magnesium conduces heat better so the magnesium camera body may feel colder to the touch. All of this may mean that the better material at any cost for a camera body may be a polycarbonate but magnesium may sound sexier.

Now for take the camera frame. Aluminum can have a better strength to weigh then steel. Steel has a better strength to volume and stiffness then aluminum with a much lower change in size with change in temperature then aluminum. With the limits of volume inside the camera and the need to maintain high optical tolerances steel may be the best material for the camera frame.

DAZ

Last edited by DAZ; 01-28-2008 at 04:42 PM.