Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2008, 04:37 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
K1D coming before the end of 2008

...ok. enough about this K20D. Move along folks there is nothing to see here.

Nice work on the sensor, but lets put this beauty into a proper body (alloy or dare I say it, Titanium) that has some of the fastest focus, best fps and 16bit colour and give LiveView a miss please...

oh, and can the K1 please have the following:

- audio annotations (shutter pressed, sound recorded for user specified period) Photojournalists will thank you (don't bother with Video!)
- GPS data captured with image and addded to EXIF
- wifi built in, or at least available with an optional grip
- allow it to connect devices and disks via standard USB interface (so you won't need a PC for file transfer)
- option to hide images
- 100% viewfinder

seems all doable and would make for a good journalist camera!

01-23-2008, 04:41 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by time-snaps Quote
- option to hide images
That sounds sneaky!
01-23-2008, 04:54 PM   #3

...ok. enough about this K20D. Move along folks there is nothing to see here.

Nice work on the sensor, but lets put this beauty into a proper body (alloy or dare I say it, Titanium) that has some of the fastest focus, best fps and 16bit colour and give LiveView a miss please...

oh, and can the K1 please have the following:

- audio annotations (shutter pressed, sound recorded for user specified period) Photojournalists will thank you (don't bother with Video!)
- allow it to connect devices and disks via standard USB interface (so you won't need a PC for file transfer)
- option to hide images
- 100% viewfinder

seems all doable and would make for a good journalist camera!
Wow
That would be nice.

I would add those following also please

- 45 or more focus points(look to the D300/D3 focus system or the 1D(s) mkIII)
- A better metering system, Nikon has their 1005 pixels sensor which is imho the best on the market right now Pentax can do the same or even better
- High FPS speed like 8 FPS or something
- The old K mount aperture coupler please
- Old TTL flash system back on track
- Lower ISO's like ISO 25 and ISO 50

That should be a killer Price about 3500 till 4500 euro's ?
01-23-2008, 04:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
That sounds sneaky!
Actually, that sounds like an excellent idea!

01-23-2008, 04:58 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
That sounds sneaky!
sneaky it may be, but can be a live saver sometimes.... lets say you are witness to some horrific crimes and you happen to have some images on that card, but you not sure if you manage to get the card out of the place/country.

Would be nice to be able to hide them and let the immigration/military/minders/etc check you card and be safe in the knowledge that they won't see anything they shouldn't (and prey they hand the whole kit back to you at the end of their inspection...)

01-23-2008, 05:58 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
AF point based on where the eye (i.e. iris ) is looking at in the view finder. Ideally, there would be two modes:

1) iris based AF point preset
- a special button to enable iris tracking
- when depressed, the camera let the user use the eye to determine the AF point
- when released, the AF point is preset to that point
- after that, the cam operate the same as current D-pad based AF point selection
2) continous iris tracking
- when the shutter button is depressed (full or half), the AF point is continously
adjusted
- as the AF point is changed, the len refocus to that point
01-23-2008, 06:19 PM   #7
TDN
Forum Member

see? I told you this would happen https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/18878-just-three-short-days.html

01-23-2008, 06:33 PM   #8
Veteran Member

sneaky it may be, but can be a live saver sometimes.... lets say you are witness to some horrific crimes and you happen to have some images on that card, but you not sure if you manage to get the card out of the place/country.

Would be nice to be able to hide them and let the immigration/military/minders/etc check you card and be safe in the knowledge that they won't see anything they shouldn't (and prey they hand the whole kit back to you at the end of their inspection...)

Just delete your images. Make sure you don't record any new ones over the deleted images. Recover the deleted images when you get home. Simple.
01-23-2008, 07:02 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Duck Dodgers Quote
Just delete your images. Make sure you don't record any new ones over the deleted images. Recover the deleted images when you get home. Simple.
i will keep that in mind
01-23-2008, 07:02 PM   #10

Record sound?

Um, no thanks..

I want a DSLR, not a video camera.
01-23-2008, 07:09 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Priyantha Bleeker Quote
- The old K mount aperture coupler please
Hey, that's all I care about. I can't think faster than 1 fps, 14MP just takes up more card space, [insert other curmudgeonly comments here]...
01-23-2008, 07:23 PM   #12
Inactive Account

- option to hide images
- 100% viewfinder

1) Audio: Not a bad idea. I was gonna say that it's a bit of a wank, but since we've now got MP3 players the size of my little toe that can do it, it wouldn't be too much of a problem. Hell, Pentax has hooked up with Samsung, who make such things for a living. Not a bad idea.

It would be simple, and handy - but also a novelty feature to lure in the consumers.

With the way their combining journalism jobs today (ie, you'd better be able to shoot and write) - it would indeed be handy. Great for photo essays, too.

2) GPS: Eh, I remember seeing an April Fool's Day ad for this in an Aus magazine from about ten years back - "It records the location of the camera at the time of the shot - as well as the height, azimuth, and angle of elevation, to allow you to perfectly recreate shots from pros using the same camera!" (It also had self-developing slide film as part of the gag - a string of mounted slides that would somehow be able to roll back up into a 35mm canister.)

If it is for photojournalism - war photography especially - you'd better be able to combine it with feature 5.

3) WIFI: I do believe they have SD cards with that built in nowadays. Never been a fan, mostly. Gimme some CAT5.

4) Better USB connectivity: A simply excellent idea! I'd love to have a second hand Laptop drive (or better yet, a fancy new solid state one) in a case on my belt, and happily snapping away, knowing I've got a 160gig card attached to my camera. That cost me a total of $100.

You could use a high-capacity SD card as extra buffer memory - this would entail separating the memory-writing processor from the image processor, as if you're shooting fast, you don't want the writing to bog down the image processing.

Also, by using the SD as a buffer, it can save a few hundred images in case the USB gets unplugged. Be able to set it so that a user-specified amount of images gets dumped to the HDD - a hundred, fifty, ten, forty-two, or one gig, two gig, etc.

5) Hide Image settings: Beats sticking the SD in a condom and sticking it up your arse. Those things are pointy.

6) 100% viewfinder: All cameras should have this. The early Nikon F's did, well, the had more than 100%, which is why journalists loved 'em. Rangefinders do, but rangefinders don't go beyond 135mm.
01-24-2008, 12:54 AM   #13
Veteran Member

My guess is that (assuming they can keep the price down) pentax will create a pro camera based off of the 645D. Trying to compete with a 1D or D3 look-alike will be tough, but if they can diferentiate with the medium format body, I think it'd work. It wouldn't be a sports camera, but a return to medium format for studio photography?
01-24-2008, 03:13 AM   #14

Please make it using the normal K-mount
A 645 mount is for a dedicated 645 Digital SLR in my eyes

I would like to see a APS-C version of the Nikon D3 for Pentax Just like the old D2x from Nikon but than better :P
If Pentax can build a Full-Frame than that is preferable of course, but I don't think Pentax is going to Full-Frame Unless they will introducing some new DFA* lenses like a DFA* 20-70 2.8 and a long awaited DFA* 70-200 2.8 and some more extreme tele's
01-24-2008, 04:59 PM   #15

If only had a faster AF and better PTTL, in pair with canon and nikon cameras we would have a winner.