Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2008, 09:36 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
Benjikan and many others (here and all around the internet) have been saying for literally weeks the press conferences would be held today, January 24th. Therefore, I thought additional news was still pending, perhaps concerning future plans for the other camera models or whatever. Sorry for that mistake.

stewart
I'm with you Stewart. I expected some news from Ben in regards to the news conference that was to be held in Paris but nothing. In regards to the discontinuation of the K10D, from what I've read production was halted back in December on both the K100D and k10D. It was supposedly done to gear up for the expected response to the new models. I've been closely watching the availability of the k100D Super and K10D here in the states to see if they become unavailable.

Some of the large online dealers are already showing an out of stock situation on the K100D Supers and others have raised the price of the K10D. From a marketing point of view this all seems to be another example of Pentax's most glaring weakness, poor marketing. If, in fact, Pentax is going to only have the two models they are leaving themselves exposed at the bottom end and the $900-$700 advanced amateur level.

Regards,

Ken

01-24-2008, 10:03 AM   #32
SouthShoreRob

QuoteOriginally posted by Snowcat Quote
I really really hope that K10D will have one more (at least) firmware upgrade, that will include features and algorythms developed for K20D. Like a final gift to us, K10D users. IU am quite sure it is possible, because image processor is the same on K10D and K20D. And if this potential upgrade will include new JPEG controls as K20D has, it will make me completely happy
Ditto, on my part. I'm not upgrading bodies any time soon.
01-24-2008, 10:20 AM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
My K10D is fine right now and with prices what they are I may even buy a second one. But this year is mostly a lens year...

For those of us in the US who have serious LBA, there are rumours of a $800 (filing single) and $1600 (filing jointly) tax rebate this summer. Maybe the DA* 300mm f4 will come out about then? Fingers crossed...
Unfortunately, I'm above the cut-off for eligibility. Fortunately, both of my kids will qualify, and the older son has 1 child and there has been added discussion about including $400 per child.
01-24-2008, 10:27 AM   #34
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ben had posted on one of the other K20/200 threads (there are so many now I can't remember which one) that we all knew the specifics of the new models due to the flood of media interest, that he just would publish some sample pictures from his prototype K20D. Maybe there was no discussion around the 'older' models???

01-25-2008, 12:12 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
(snip) Some of the large online dealers are already showing an out of stock situation on the K100D Supers and others have raised the price of the K10D.

I had not heard, before now, of production ending for both of these cameras (K100D and K10D). I thought that was limited to the K100D following release of the K100D Super. Guess I'm simply not paying enough attention to all this. Anyway, I have noticed slightly higher prices for the K10D at several online stores in recent weeks. For example, I purchased a K10D body from B&H in October for $699.95 (no rebate). Today, that same body is listed at $799.95 (with rebate available). However, most others (Amazon, Ritz, etc) are still selling the camera for roughly $700, so the price increases are not yet across the board.

QuoteQuote:
From a marketing point of view this all seems to be another example of Pentax's most glaring weakness, poor marketing. If, in fact, Pentax is going to only have the two models they are leaving themselves exposed at the bottom end and the $900-$700 advanced amateur level.

I agree. I thought we would now be looking at a three camera approach as well, with K100D variations competing in the lower price range, K10D variations competing in the mid $700-1200 price range, and a new model above the K10D competing with in the $1500-2500 price range. This would have allowed Pentax to use their new-found publicity and attention following the K10D to gain a foothold in all three of the most profitable market segments. A two camera approach will obviously not accomplish this, and that earlier increased attention may wane too quickly for yet another model at some distant future date.

stewart
01-25-2008, 05:07 AM   #36
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I agree Stewart. If this is where they are going, then they have made a mistake. Consumers want choice more than anything. Plus the company wants to be profitable. They will not be able to hold the MSRP on the 2 new models for very long if there are no models in the line below them. I would have thought they would have all 4 on the shelf for a large part of 2008.

That would give them 2-3 bodies in the sub $800-900 price range and then the K20D above that. Not everyone will be able to afford or want the features of the 2 new K2 versions and the K100 has a great place in both price and features for the new user or someone that is looking for a backup body.
01-25-2008, 05:28 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
snip...

Some of the large online dealers are already showing an out of stock situation on the K100D Supers and others have raised the price of the K10D. From a marketing point of view this all seems to be another example of Pentax's most glaring weakness, poor marketing. If, in fact, Pentax is going to only have the two models they are leaving themselves exposed at the bottom end and the $900-$700 advanced amateur level.

Regards,

Ken
The Pentax Webstore still shows both K100D Super and K10D in stock with shipping within one day, so there are still stocks on the shelves for now. Also, the Pentax Imaging website shows four camera models now, the K100D Super, K10D, K200D and K20D. For what it's worth...
01-26-2008, 08:43 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I agree Stewart. If this is where they are going, then they have made a mistake. Consumers want choice more than anything. Plus the company wants to be profitable. They will not be able to hold the MSRP on the 2 new models for very long if there are no models in the line below them. I would have thought they would have all 4 on the shelf for a large part of 2008.

That would give them 2-3 bodies in the sub $800-900 price range and then the K20D above that. Not everyone will be able to afford or want the features of the 2 new K2 versions and the K100 has a great place in both price and features for the new user or someone that is looking for a backup body.

Exactly my thinking, Peter. Yet I have read in another thread that the K200D will replace the K100D Super, leaving only two cameras if the K10D is also dropped - both of those potentially costing more than any Pentax DSLR available at the moment. Oh well, it's certainly out of my hands.

stewart

01-27-2008, 06:24 AM   #39
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

As a follow up Stewart, I was at my local camera shop today. They had lenses on the shelf but no bodies. So i asked and the manager that was assisting me, said that pentax K series has been on backorder since Christmas. She suspected that Pentax had no cameras to sell and had dropped the K1 series in anticipation of the new launch. If that's true, they better be on time with the new cameras!! The current inventories will run dry before March if supply is that tight.

Having no overlap for at least 6 months just doesn't make sense.
01-27-2008, 07:54 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by christinelandon Quote
The Pentax Webstore still shows both K100D Super and K10D in stock with shipping within one day, so there are still stocks on the shelves for now. Also, the Pentax Imaging website shows four camera models now, the K100D Super, K10D, K200D and K20D. For what it's worth...
Two different people on this forum that work at camera stores have disputed that. Both the K10D and the K100D Super are not available. B & H has been showing the K100D Super with kit lens out of stock for over a week. Adorama is out of it with and without the kit lens. Buydig and Beach don't even list them on the web site any more. That takes care of the 4 top web sites and B & H has raised the price of the K100D Super without the kit lens to $519.95.
01-28-2008, 10:36 AM   #41
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Stewart, I wonder if the reason for moving away from the K100D and K10D so quickly is that they have cut the relationship with Sony for sensors. The new bodies are due to a stronger (it would seem) relationship with Samsung and Sony and Samsung are fierce competitors is many areas of common business interests.

Maybe Sony doesn't want to continue shipping sensors if the partnership with Samsung is getting deeper.
01-28-2008, 10:43 AM   #42
Inactive Account

Stewart, I wonder if the reason for moving away from the K100D and K10D so quickly is that they have cut the relationship with Sony for sensors. The new bodies are due to a stronger (it would seem) relationship with Samsung and Sony and Samsung are fierce competitors is many areas of common business interests.

Maybe Sony doesn't want to continue shipping sensors if the partnership with Samsung is getting deeper.
that makes sence, but then where does that leave the k200d? I think we have to rule out that hypothesis.
01-28-2008, 10:46 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Peter,
Supposedly Samsung intends to keep offering the GX 10 so Pentax is still getting the Sony sensor. Isn't the sensor in the K200D the Sony sensor? I think it is, so they are still getting it.
01-28-2008, 10:56 AM   #44
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Well I guess I'm way off base on that. Should research more before thinking out loud.... Wasn't really considering the K200D and I bet Samsung has a good stockpile of GX10's till they sell the remaining units off for the new versions they will carry.
01-28-2008, 01:03 PM   #45
Veteran Member

i for one would hate to see the k10d go. i feel there is definetly a place for it between the k200 and the k20 (but the k200 must drop the price a bit, for that). the sensor is still being shipped for the k200, and building the k10 alongside the k20 should be a no-brainer, as they are phisicaly almost identical. with a nice firmaware upgrade to not leavea it behind the k200 in any way, it would fit right in, as it is bigger and by no means point and shoot (as the kx00d are).

i myself just managed to grab one (the samsung version actually), needless to say i don't know how i could live without one so long. feels like what i would imagine going from a skoda octavia to a subaru impreza wrx (the k20d would be the sti i guess ), when going from the d50/k100d to the k10d: the skoda is decent, drives well, economic, no shame in owning it (despite the name -- no pun intended), but... the exileration of driving the beast... uaaah. i also know i will probably get the k20d in a year or so, it was just too much of a leap for me right now. (time for some lenses now.. i will probably need ot quit smoking )

i hope pentax will keep it's great reputation of backwards compatibility and not forget the k10d (users) (or maybe make the firmware open source? at least the part which doesn't deal with image processing and PRIME directly, which i guess would be to dear to them to open up; damn, that would be sweet -- ignore me, dreaming out loud). i also hope they won't drop it alltogether, i would really hate to see it go (maybe at least they will let samsung go on with building/selling it). it is allready sad to see the k100d go, i would have liked to see a cheaper k200d with the new sensor in a lower resolution (8mp maybe? hell, even 6) instead of the current one, but oh well (that would have made it _really_ hard for me to choose between the k10d and k200d, the idea of that sensor, and getting sony out of my house for good.. that would have been a great marketing move to slowly fade the k10d out and let the k20d reign). i also am quite puzzled by this marketing decision, seems like pentax is following in canon's steps with the rebels, quietly leaving the scene of entry level dslr's, i am not sure if this is such a good idea. also it seems they are standing by their statement that k10d was underpriced, and pushing that body to a different pricepoint, which, with k10d out of the scene, would put them in the same slots as nikon, which imho is a bad idea (one of the reasons k10d sold so well is the superb body, which is, with all due respect, way above the d80, and probably not far from the d?00 at all).

if pentax will include stuff like the "no-crosscheck-af option" and some other relatively simple but nifty software features from the k20d, i will personally bow my head, and have one more point to rub in the face of all the guys i managed to convert to pentax (about half a dozen, and counting), and more importantly, in the face of those i haven't converted )

exciting as the k20d is, i feel pentax must have a consistent lineup for their potential buyers, not only two great products (which, as mentioned, are both beyond the entry pricepoint, at this time), and i still feel the k10d with that old sony sensor (or k10d super with an 8mp new sensor, say) has a gap it can nicely fill. i hope marketing won't kill what a team of brilliant engineers managed to achieve..