Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2008, 06:12 PM   #1
Veteran Member

What About The K10D?

So, with the introduction of the K20D and K200D, where does this leave the K10D? Since several months have passed since a limited firmware update and nearly two-thirds of a year since a substantial update providing wider performance and feature tweaks, it appears Hoya-Pentax has abandoned any further development of this camera.

At the same time, the K200D is actually priced higher, strongly suggesting it may be slated to replace the K10D. Otherwise, the company would be offering a camera (K200D) with auto picture and scene modes clearly oriented towards amateurs at a price higher than a camera (K10D) oriented towards more advanced users requiring no auto scene modes.

This means, of course, future shoppers seeking a camera strictly oriented towards advanced users will be spending considerably more than now ($1200 K20D versus $700 K10D).

Regardless, I'm afraid the future just does not look too promising for the K10D. Please give me a reason to think otherwise.

stewart

01-23-2008, 06:25 PM   #2

I hope you are wrong. I am going to buy the K10D in about 15 minutes, soon as wife gets home with Discover Card. With that said we are entry lever and at $484 after rebate you can not go wrong. By the time I/We get up to speed hopefully there will be more updates and tweaks. IfPentax were to come right out and say they were kicking the K10D to the curb I would still buy it, at that price anyway.
01-23-2008, 06:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Hi Stewart,

Supposedly some firmware updates are coming down the pipe. My K10D still has a place in my kit, and I'm going to wait a while on the K20D (for several reasons). If I had spare money, perhaps, but I need to take care of other things and those take priority. I hate it when life gets in the way!

The K10D such a great camera, and the price point is making people realize how good it really is, and that Pentax put a low MSRP on it. The new body pricing shows this "case in point". Besides, Pentax had no idea upon the K10D's release that it would be so successful.

Regards,
Marc
01-23-2008, 06:42 PM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
This means, of course, future shoppers seeking a camera strictly oriented towards advanced users will be spending considerably more than now ($1200 K20D versus $700 K10D).
Ah yes... but the K10d was not $700 when new, and the K20D will not be $1200 forever

Until the K20D drops in price, there should still be some K10Ds around to buy even if Pentax isn't all that interested in selling them... just like there were (and are) still *Ist-series models available to buy at lower price if you didn't want a K100d. Even once all the new ones are sold, once the K20D comes out there will most likely be a few K10Ds entering the second-hand market if people want them badly enough.

As for further developments regarding firmware, understandably Pentax will focus on their new stuff for now... but if enough people own K10ds and think they need improving, keep letting Pentax know and hopefully you'll get your updates.

01-23-2008, 06:44 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by cajuncutter Quote
With that said we are entry lever and at $484 after rebate you can not go wrong.
Where can you get this camera at that price.

I'm upgrading from ist DL and was thinking of getting the k20d, but the k10d for right now is the better bang for the buck.
01-23-2008, 06:50 PM   #6

Buy through Shop.com at beachphoto and use promo code win25. 609-25=584-mir of 100=$484. If you can wait on the 100 bucks then it is a killer deal.
01-23-2008, 07:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My K10D will be the second body if I get my K20D, no point selling it since it is such a great camera and everything can be share between them

01-23-2008, 07:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilm_user Quote
(snip) ... My K10D still has a place in my kit, and I'm going to wait a while on the K20D (for several reasons). If I had spare money, perhaps, but I need to take care of other things and those take priority. I hate it when life gets in the way!

The K10D such a great camera, ... (snip)

The K10D is indeed a great camera. In fact, given that my two K10D bodies (both less than a year old) still fully serve my needs, I simply cannot justify the extra expense of the K20D at the moment. Like you, I have other things to spend that money on. So, instead, I'll probably continue to use the K10D exclusively for at least the next year or so - until these two cameras die, my needs change, or something else comes along to better entice me to spend money.

stewart
01-23-2008, 07:25 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'd hope they can fold some of the K20D's features into a firmware update. E.g. AFS-C w/ trap focus (no more fuzzy photos w/ AFS-C :-), per-lens BF/FF adjustment, one shutter press (not hold) exposure bracketing, etc.
All of these are purely software...

That said, the K20D's CMOS sensor's sample images so far make me drool. I'm glad the body size is the same so I can use all the same bags, etc. What should be interesting is whether you still get the battery noise from using the battery grip in which case I'll regret not getting the almost free grip w/ the K10D...
01-23-2008, 07:27 PM   #10
Inactive Account

I'm focusing my money on getting more lenses. I can get a new body when I need one.
01-23-2008, 07:35 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tux08902 Quote
I'm focusing my money on getting more lenses. I can get a new body when I need one.
Unfortunately I've got almost all the lenses I need!!!
01-23-2008, 07:44 PM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilm_user Quote
Unfortunately I've got almost all the lenses I need!!!
Who said anything about the ones I need? The ones I need are listed in my signature with the exception of a macro. I'm talking about the ones I want: all the DA* (even the unreleased ones on the roadmap), FA Limiteds, DA Limiteds, D FA 100mm Macro, FA* 24/2, FA* 85/1.4, and F/FA 50/1.7. LBA with pride, my friend.
01-23-2008, 07:59 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Okay, after reading that, it's fairly obvious you need to check into LBAA (Lens Buying Addiction Anonymous). After all, it's clear you're enjoying your addiction just a little too much (the half dozen or so extra smileys gave you away).

stewart
01-23-2008, 08:13 PM   #14

Photos: Gallery
Everyone just needs to take a breath and relax. The K10D isn't going anywhere for a while. Pentax won't flood the market with K20Ds for starters. And secondly, they know the K10D is a hit, they keep it in the market for at least the next few months. Or at least until I get my tax return back...
01-23-2008, 08:22 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think I'll wait for the K30D