Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2008, 08:32 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tux08902 Quote
Who said anything about the ones I need? The ones I need are listed in my signature with the exception of a macro. I'm talking about the ones I want: all the DA* (even the unreleased ones on the roadmap), FA Limiteds, DA Limiteds, D FA 100mm Macro, FA* 24/2, FA* 85/1.4, and F/FA 50/1.7. LBA with pride, my friend.
LOL...

My full lens list is on my website (including 3 FA* lenses), so I'm not going to put it here... I'd be hard pressed to consider buying much else, given the quality of just those FA* lenses. Perhaps some DA* lenses in the future, since they're weather-sealed.

I don't really need much else... except a fast supertelephoto prime lens - at 500/4.5 or 600/4. Then I am finished.... for now...

Cheers!
Marc

01-23-2008, 09:01 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
Regardless, I'm afraid the future just does not look too promising for the K10D. Please give me a reason to think otherwise.

stewart
Actually, I think the future of any new digital camera has a short horizon - the days of bodies, like the MX or LX, sold for years and years are over. The cloth or foam in our gadget bags will have just "learned" to conform to our new K20D's when the K30D will make its appearance.

My plan is to grab a new body when it grabs me, but view it as disposable - like a computer or a car.

Jer
01-23-2008, 09:31 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
What should be interesting is whether you still get the battery noise from using the battery grip in which case I'll regret not getting the almost free grip w/ the K10D...
I honestly think that's more of a non-issue than a real one, and has been seen by a far less number of people than those that haven't. What banding I get is there no matter whether the grip is present or not.
01-23-2008, 09:38 PM   #19
Pentaxian

...I'm afraid the future just does not look too promising for the K10D.
My understanding is it is no longer in production, so you are correct.

Even a rebated cost of $509, I decided there was nothing to gain going from the KHundredD to the KTenD - for my shooting style.

No FPS increase
Apparently still pokey AF
Apparently worse high ISO performance

Extra control wheel no big thing - I'm mostly a "P" man, anyway, unless I want something special.
Different and more bracketing...I shoot RAW, so it's not too important...I rarely use it.
TAV mode - although I sometimes use auto-ISO on the KHundredD (when not disabled by EV compensation), I don't think I'd be in this mode.

Perhaps the penta"prism" is an advantage over the penta"mirror" but as I'm unable to find a KTenD to hold and look through, I'm not "upgrading".

I doubt I'll be spending $1200 on whatever is coming either. Maybe next time, though.

Now, that 35mm tilt-and-shift lens sounds tempting though ($1,000).

01-23-2008, 10:00 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
My understanding is it is no longer in production, so you are correct.
I couldn't care less whether the K10D is still in production or not, but - just out of curiosity - what data prompted your "understanding"?

Jer
01-23-2008, 10:17 PM   #21
Veteran Member

My K10 isnt going anywhere either. Theres alot of cool stuff in the k20 but like all new technology it always gets better the second time around so im gonna do the leapfrog on the body issue. Buying a new camera every year is just getting a bit carried away i think. Personally i think Pentax couldve ridden the K10 wave for a bit longer. Im just sick to death that im gonna have to wait till mid year now for that darn 60-250....
01-23-2008, 10:39 PM   #22
Veteran Member

It's been noted quite a bit that existing stocks were all that was left and that retailers couldn't get anymore from Pentax, though suppliers could shift stock between retailers if needed.

01-23-2008, 10:54 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
I couldn't care less whether the K10D is still in production or not, but - just out of curiosity - what data prompted your "understanding"?

Jer
I have read similar posts as below.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
It's been noted quite a bit that existing stocks were all that was left and that retailers couldn't get anymore from Pentax, though suppliers could shift stock between retailers if needed.
01-24-2008, 03:45 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Has anyone actually said who (Pentax Japan, Pentax USA, etc) and what time Pentax is supposed to be having press conferences today?

stewart
01-24-2008, 04:16 AM   #25
Forum Member

Has anyone actually said who (Pentax Japan, Pentax USA, etc) and what time Pentax is supposed to be having press conferences today?

stewart
Did you fall asleep??? Yesterday were already the press conferences. I do not think that Pentax will give another one (or more...) today. I think that we will have to wait for a year of 2 for the K30D....
01-24-2008, 06:47 AM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by David Quote
I think I'll wait for the K30D
So will I. That's when I'll get a K20D.

Or maybe not. Really, the K10D will suit my needs for a long time.
01-24-2008, 06:49 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AnoLife Quote
Did you fall asleep??? Yesterday were already the press conferences. I do not think that Pentax will give another one (or more...) today. I think that we will have to wait for a year of 2 for the K30D....

Benjikan and many others (here and all around the internet) have been saying for literally weeks the press conferences would be held today, January 24th. Therefore, I thought additional news was still pending, perhaps concerning future plans for the other camera models or whatever. Sorry for that mistake.

stewart
01-24-2008, 07:25 AM   #28

I really really hope that K10D will have one more (at least) firmware upgrade, that will include features and algorythms developed for K20D. Like a final gift to us, K10D users. IU am quite sure it is possible, because image processor is the same on K10D and K20D. And if this potential upgrade will include new JPEG controls as K20D has, it will make me completely happy
01-24-2008, 08:29 AM   #29
Veteran Member

My K10D is fine right now and with prices what they are I may even buy a second one. But this year is mostly a lens year...

For those of us in the US who have serious LBA, there are rumours of a $800 (filing single) and $1600 (filing jointly) tax rebate this summer. Maybe the DA* 300mm f4 will come out about then? Fingers crossed...
01-24-2008, 08:48 AM   #30
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I would hope they continue the K10D for awhile. It may be gone due to resources but it would be a heck of a lineup with the 4 cameras available at the current street prices. But if they continue the K10D, I wouldn't expect too many discounts on the K20D for awhile.

As long as they continue filmware support I'll be happy. This will be a lens year for me as well and a new body is far down the list of "wants/needs".