Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2012, 10:00 AM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Patents for the Upcoming K-3?

This just got filed:

Digital camera

It refers to a camera with 2 e-dials and the usual assortment of Pentax buttons that can compare two photos side-by-side on the LCD (something that current DSLRs can already do).

Here's also a new patent for what looks like a full-frame SR system:

Image shake correction apparatus, and camera having image shake correction apparatus

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-26-2012, 10:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Where does it show or mention FF?

The first patent, if the drawing is any indication of the design of the final product appears to be the K02 with a VF/EVF...

Edit: Looking for the dimensions of the sensor mount, we can probably figure it out if the dimensions are listed, just compare with the dimensions of the K5 sensor mount...

06-26-2012, 10:12 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So now the US Patent Office has a plan . . . . .
06-26-2012, 10:19 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Look at the original file dates, these look like they may be extensions:

Dec 12, 2008
July 16, 2009

Dang, was feeling a little tingly inside for a moment or two.

Of course I am no patent expert and could be wrong...

06-26-2012, 10:25 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

both old patents this happens frequently when they are finally patented (takes for ever from filing to patent being granted - the real info comes from the filings not the approved ones. Once it is filed it may go into production (looks like K10/20 era on one of them, and the upgrade SR in the K7 time frame on the other
I don't think the Us patent office publishes them until they are final, the real leaks seem to come from the japanese patent filing
06-26-2012, 11:19 AM   #6

Hmmm looks familiar

The camera in the first patent looks like an MZ-5 with an FA 24mm f2 . Maybe a case of reusing them using camera design template or a case of me having a pareidolia.
06-26-2012, 11:40 AM   #7
Veteran Member

The SR patent seems to be different to the SR implemented in most of the recent bodies, in that, it is an x and y axis shift only without the rotation.

The current SR includes x, y shift and sensor rotation due to a free floating oscillator unit per the explanation http://old.pentaximaging.com/files/scms_docs/SHAKE_REDUCTION_FACT_SHEET.pdf.

This patent seems to be something new in SR technology based on 2 guided sliding tables for the x and y axis shift. The claims also make reference to specific configurations of magnets and bearings etc. Might not always be better, could also be faster or cheaper for other applications.

06-26-2012, 11:41 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KevinR Quote
The SR patent seems to be different to the SR implemented in most of the recent bodies, in that, it is an x and y axis shift only without the rotation.

The current SR includes x, y shift and sensor rotation due to a free floating oscillator unit per the explanation http://old.pentaximaging.com/files/scms_docs/SHAKE_REDUCTION_FACT_SHEET.pdf.

This patent seems to be something new in SR technology based on 2 guided sliding tables for the x and y axis shift. The claims also make reference to specific configurations of magnets and bearings etc. Might not always be better, could also be faster or cheaper for other applications.
or it may be something they patented but decided the performance wasn't there. stops others from infringing on their territory by patenting it though
06-26-2012, 04:09 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Full Frame SR?

Maybe a full frame camera required a simpler/smaller SR system. Not sure if it is relevant but the scale in figure 2 could suggest a larger sensor.
06-26-2012, 04:52 PM   #10
Veteran Member

this looks great for me
06-26-2012, 07:51 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Mmm Mmm tasty. That's the body depicted in the 35mm IS patent. That's a good size for a 135 format body...

Last edited by RXrenesis8; 06-26-2012 at 08:23 PM.
06-26-2012, 10:00 PM   #12
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
This just got filed:

Digital camera

It refers to a camera with 2 e-dials and the usual assortment of Pentax buttons that can compare two photos side-by-side on the LCD (something that current DSLRs can already do).

Image shake correction apparatus, and camera having image shake correction apparatus
rather old patents...by the way.
06-26-2012, 11:11 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RXrenesis8 Quote

Mmm Mmm tasty. That's the body depicted in the 35mm IS patent. That's a good size for a 135 format body...
The camera body in the SR patent looks like a *istD to me.

I don't think this is a new body design.
06-26-2012, 11:43 PM   #14

Photos: Gallery
I agree with KungPOW, the body depicted looks like an *istD (that is still a ridiculous name), That is just used for illustration purposes to present the design theory, I'm sure. Of far more significance would be the illustration below, with what looks like the sensor directly in front of the K lens mount. Assuming those proportions are correct, and I have no way of knowing for sure if they are, that sensor looks really big, enough to accommodate a full frame image. That's total speculation on my part, and I say it knowing these are rough illustrations to explain the technology, but in just trying to do the math, I'm not aware of any other system that has SR for full frame. And if it does exist, please correct me if I'm wrong. I believe Pentax has the patent for SR on APS-C, correct? If so, then it stands to reason they would want to protect their innovation with a full frame body.
06-27-2012, 01:51 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Sony has SR (well their own version with another name) with Full Frame (a900, a850).