Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
06-29-2012, 05:59 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
One can patent something as trivial as this?
Doesn't make sense to me.

Method of exercising a cat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

06-29-2012, 06:36 PM   #32
Pentaxian

08-17-2012, 05:07 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Pentax patented optical image stabilization in 1989....
08-17-2012, 07:47 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Sony has SR (well their own version with another name) with Full Frame (a900, a850).
I'm not an engineer, but I would have thought that an APS-C shake-reduction mechanism could scale up to FF just by scaling up the components and using stronger magnets.

EDIT: Come to think of it, what's stopping Pentax from going all the way and creating a SR mechanism for the 645D Mk 2?

Last edited by asw66; 08-17-2012 at 07:48 PM. Reason: 2nd thoughts
08-17-2012, 07:56 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by asw66 Quote
I'm not an engineer, but I would have thought that an APS-C shake-reduction mechanism could scale up to FF just by scaling up the components and using stronger magnets.

EDIT: Come to think of it, what's stopping Pentax from going all the way and creating a SR mechanism for the 645D Mk 2?

Maybe it is just me, but I don't see a point in shake reduction with 645D. I never wished it had it . . . . Yes it can be handheld, but like I said, yes it can be handheld, but most of the times it stays on top of the tripod for me . . .
08-17-2012, 08:24 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
Maybe it is just me, but I don't see a point in shake reduction with 645D. I never wished it had it . . . . Yes it can be handheld, but like I said, yes it can be handheld, but most of the times it stays on top of the tripod for me . . .
Yes, and I'd imagine that that's true of most 645D users. But what if Pentax came out with a smaller, faster MF body? (I'm just speculating of course.) A MF body with SLR-style handling (perhaps akin to the Leica S2) would be a fascinating proposition, and most likely a tempting one for those with deep pockets.

Back to my original point though: I'm not aware of a fundamental technical difference between in-body SR at different scales. I'd be happy for one of the more technically-savvy members to enlighten me if I'm wrong about this.
08-18-2012, 03:18 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by asw66 Quote

Potential problem for FF SR is mount opening.
As for 645D, sensor is so big it might be just to heavy.

08-18-2012, 05:19 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Potential problem for FF SR is mount opening.
As for 645D, sensor is so big it might be just to heavy.
Thanks thibs: I've wondered about that issue for FF SR, but momentarily forgot about it. This seems to be an important issue for Pentax going ahead: does anyone here have a definite idea if there's enough "wiggle room" in the K-mount for FF SR?

As for my speculations about MF SR, I suspect that the limiting factor will be the voltage required for magnets that could handle this. It might just require more juice than is feasible at present.
08-25-2012, 12:50 PM   #39

More likely MF SR is a biz decision, i.e. how much it'll cost to engineer and produce in tiny quantities, espesh as it looks to be a tougher nut to crack than APS-C SR due to the increase in mass, both in the sensor platform and that big, swinging mirror.
08-25-2012, 12:56 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by conradj Quote
More likely MF SR is a biz decision, i.e. how much it'll cost to engineer and produce in tiny quantities, espesh as it looks to be a tougher nut to crack than APS-C SR due to the increase in mass, both in the sensor platform and that big, swinging mirror.
Huh? The mirror moves with SR? I would've expected it doesn't.
08-25-2012, 01:34 PM - 1 Like   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by conradj Quote
Eh, I'm rather thinking the usual MF user doesn't care for stabilisation.

You pay 10k for a camera and similar sums for a couple of lenses, 2k for a tripod and head, a ton of cash for studio light -- you don't want to worry about shooting handheld in bad light. If that's the case, get a FF DSLR.

MF is for situations in which you have plenty of light and want maximum image quality, it's not about "being able to get a picture".
08-25-2012, 09:37 PM   #42
Veteran Member

I'm thinking that outdoor photographers would see, on occasion, a grab shot that that doesn't require (or have the time for) a $2k tripod. I think the outdoors has varying lighting conditions, few of them amenable to even two tons of artificial lighting.

I wouldn't know for sure as most of the outdoors seems to be outside, where it gets hot and cold and wet and stuff. Not my cup of tea pint of beer. It's Hobgoblin from Wychwood tonight. Local supermarket just began to stock it in six-packs. Life is good .....
08-25-2012, 11:00 PM   #43

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Huh? The mirror moves with SR? I would've expected it doesn't.
... mirror shake is a large part of what image stablisation has to compensate for in any SLR ... wtih MF, bigger mirror, bigger shake, bigger compensation needed.

i used to shoot a Mamyia 645, it definitely needed a faster shutter speed to cancel out the mirror shake than any 35mm SLR in those days.

And on the K-5, if i shoot a normal lens in liveview with SR switched on i can hand hold it down to 1/8s and have a reasonable chance of getting a sharp image, while using the viewfinder (and therefore with the mirror in operation) 1/25s is as low as i'll comfortably go.
08-26-2012, 11:21 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
I'm thinking that outdoor photographers would see, on occasion, a grab shot that that doesn't require (or have the time for) a $2k tripod. I think the outdoors has varying lighting conditions, few of them amenable to even two tons of artificial lighting.

I wouldn't know for sure as most of the outdoors seems to be outside, where it gets hot and cold and wet and stuff. Not my cup of tea pint of beer. It's Hobgoblin from Wychwood tonight. Local supermarket just began to stock it in six-packs. Life is good .....
Yes, but why use a 645D for such shots in the firstplace?
08-26-2012, 12:47 PM   #45
Pentaxian

Well, MF like 645D now gets competition from D800 and the likes because they bring resolution and their sensor isn't that smaller.
The camera is (somewhat) smaller, requires no mount change, offers better High Iso and stabilization (either sensor or in lens).

I can see how 645D might have heat at its bottom. It's not destroyed, not the same market but some FF are now considered in other markets and they offer high iso/stab.