Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2012, 02:23 PM   #46
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
That's what my prime lenses are for in this case. I am not a gear collector, and I am reluctant to accumulate lenses that I don't want just for back-up purposes. With regard to my DA*16-50, I am perfectly happy to use it in manual focus mode, but I cannot even do that when the lens is being held captive in the repair facility for weeks (or months) on end.

Rob
I'm sorry you went through that. I have a friend that went through abt 6 to 8 weeks of waiting for a K20 to be repaired, required a circuit board that wasn't available in the US or Japan, they had to do a new mfr run. I suppose that when times are tough, there's a temptation to cut back the amount of spare parts in the warehouse that are just occupying space. Hopefully, with Ricoh in charge and the situation comparitively stable, Pentax can manage its spare parts inventory a little better. CRIS seems to do ok when there are adequate parts available.

Edit reason: changed 6-8 months to 6-8 weeks - (my brain was not engaged apparently)

Last edited by philbaum; 07-02-2012 at 10:10 PM.
07-02-2012, 09:19 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
I'm sorry you went through that. I have a friend that went through abt 6 to 8 months of waiting for a K20 to be repaired, required a circuit board that wasn't available in the US or Japan, they had to do a new mfr run. I suppose that when times are tough, there's a temptation to cut back the amount of spare parts in the warehouse that are just occupying space. Hopefully, with Ricoh in charge and the situation comparitively stable, Pentax can manage its spare parts inventory a little better. CRIS seems to do ok when there are adequate parts available.
6 to 8 months?! I'm getting dizzy just thinking of it. In a situation such as that, Pentax should be willing to lend the customer a lens or camera until the repair is completed. But I'm not going to hold my breath until that happens.

Rob
07-02-2012, 10:08 PM   #48
Pentaxian

6 to 8 months?! I'm getting dizzy just thinking of it. In a situation such as that, Pentax should be willing to lend the customer a lens or camera until the repair is completed. But I'm not going to hold my breath until that happens.

Rob
Oh geez i'm sorry, it was 6 to 8 WEEKS not months as i wrote, i'll fix the post. (i suppose any chance that i could get Pentax's PR job is probably out of the question at this point )
07-02-2012, 11:22 PM   #49
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think this is good publicity for Pentax as a brand but can reflect on their bad store presence. The "other way" I see it is that people are more confident buying Pentax products from online stores than b&m stores because they're simply not there...

or are overpriced, as in the case with some Asian countries, lol.

07-03-2012, 06:46 AM   #50
Site Supporter

Oh geez i'm sorry, it was 6 to 8 WEEKS not months as i wrote, i'll fix the post. (i suppose any chance that i could get Pentax's PR job is probably out of the question at this point )
More posts like the one above, and it'll indicates you're quite qualified.
07-03-2012, 08:17 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Whew, that's better, but 6 to 8 weeks is still too long for someone who relies on his gear either as a professional or a serious hobbyist.

Rob
07-03-2012, 08:51 AM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Whew, that's better, but 6 to 8 weeks is still too long for someone who relies on his gear either as a professional or a serious hobbyist.

Rob
A Professional has at least one backup if not more, and always has (in film days most guys I know had at least 4 bodies so 1-2 could be out for service)
An enthusiast is also likely to have at least 2 bodies (a newer one and an older one - heck I have 4 not counting film gear)
Nikon and Canon may have a pro service with faster turnaround but it comes at a cost (more expensive bodies for instance, limited membership, and in some countries an annual fee. The highest level service with Canon costs $500 a year , the middle level $100. You need to have a certain amount of qualified gear and earn a full time living to qualify)

Pentax does have a similar program offered to the CPS and NPS programs BTW

PENTAX - PENTAX ANNOUNCES PRO PROGRAM: BENEFITS INCLUDE EQUIPMENT LOANS AND EXPEDITED REPAIRS
07-03-2012, 12:06 PM   #53
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Stop. Hammertime!
LOL
How To Do the MC Hammer Dance

07-07-2012, 08:16 PM   #54
mee
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Hello Robbiec,
Thanks for posting the survey results, very interesting.
I think it's revealing that the respondents were online buyers. Imagine what would (will?) happen if Pentax DSLR's and lenses were available in camera shops, discount stores and other brick + mortar outlets?
Most folks, when spending upwards of $1,000 USD, like to "Kick the tires" and try the fit. A simple concept, no?
Yes. And then go back home and order it online for a much lower price.

Pentax (K-x) is my first SLR and I bought it online without really picking up any SLR bodies minus a T3 in a department store. A friend mentioned Pentax which spurred me to visit websites such as dpreview and a few others where I discovered the K-x in particular was solid on paper and cheaper than the rest. I knew nothing about ISO this or fstop that at the time.. Now, unless something catastrophic happens to the company, I'm sort of sold into the brand.

Of course my K-x was 500 bucks for the kit and not the 1000 you mentioned. But anything over 100 dollars is painful to me.

I think the diminutive size of the K-x at the time (not knowing anything) might have made it appear weaker or more for women (smaller, light weight) to me at the time if it had been in a lineup with the bulkier Canon and Nikon bodies... *shrug*