Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
06-29-2012, 04:22 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Pentax looking good in JD Power Satisfaction survey

JD Power Survey Link

Long and short? Pentax comes first with a satisfaction score of 899 out of 1000. And that there seems to be a shift of Pentax's customer base in the SLR market from casual photographers to those who prefer to regard themselves as Semi-Pro or Professional.

06-29-2012, 04:41 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
How 'bout that! I wonder whether the shift to pro is related to the economy: people going pro/semi pro to milk out a couple of quid--like the guy with a lawn mower who loses his retail job & becomes a landscaper.
06-29-2012, 04:53 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Try' em?

Hello Robbiec,
Thanks for posting the survey results, very interesting.
I think it's revealing that the respondents were online buyers. Imagine what would (will?) happen if Pentax DSLR's and lenses were available in camera shops, discount stores and other brick + mortar outlets?
Most folks, when spending upwards of $1,000 USD, like to "Kick the tires" and try the fit. A simple concept, no?
Ron
06-29-2012, 05:10 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here is the direct link to the press release:
J.D. Power and Associates Reports: DSLR Camera Average Online Purchase Price... -- WESTLAKE VILLAGE, Calif., June 28, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --

Someone should tweet this @nedbunnell - his office could use the free publicity! (Won't be me on twitter since I avoid it, and fb, etc.)

06-29-2012, 05:28 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Here is the direct link to the press release:
J.D. Power and Associates Reports: DSLR Camera Average Online Purchase Price... -- WESTLAKE VILLAGE, Calif., June 28, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --

Someone should tweet this @nedbunnell - his office could use the free publicity! (Won't be me on twitter since I avoid it, and fb, etc.)
However, Pentax USA already posted this on their Facebook page. I saw it this morning
06-29-2012, 06:15 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
However, Pentax USA already posted this on their Facebook page. I saw it this morning
And I saw a tweet on it from @Pentaxian and I'm certain I saw Ned in the followers
06-29-2012, 06:17 AM   #7
Banned

So they didn't got in contact with all complainers overhere. These survey's are always just about the level of nice to read and not for to believe. Nice people are giving nice ratings to their wel thought over purchase. The shift to semi-pro is something I see overhere too. Lots of women who start to make babypictures and pictures for childrens party's and pets. Taking a course to understand some basics and off you go with your bussiness. With the current stand of technics in camera's that does make it more easy then 10 years ago.

06-29-2012, 06:23 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
So they didn't got in contact with all complainers overhere. These survey's are always just about the level of nice to read and not for to believe. Nice people are giving nice ratings to their wel thought over purchase. The shift to semi-pro is something I see overhere too. Lots of women who start to make babypictures and pictures for childrens party's and pets. Taking a course to understand some basics and off you go with your bussiness. With the current stand of technics in camera's that does make it more easy then 10 years ago.
The results of everyone considering themselves "pros" can be seen on youarenotaphotographer every day...

06-29-2012, 06:31 AM   #9
Veteran Member

But but but that crappie AF!

It's great news and makes it easier to suggest the brand to others when they are considering a DSLR.
06-29-2012, 06:42 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Cool. Like I said, I avoid fb, etc. (Hey, I'm not anti-social, just pro-privacy!)

QuoteOriginally posted by ruggiex Quote
But but but that crappie AF!
Thankfully, JD Power didn't survey pentaxforums.com members...
06-29-2012, 06:42 AM - 1 Like   #11
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The results of everyone considering themselves "pros" can be seen on youarenotaphotographer every day...
Well who wouldn't want a last picture off your dead baby going to the semetary
06-29-2012, 08:29 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Well, I don't want to spoil the fun, but with 8100 people participating and let's say 10% market share of Pentax, about 810 people who participated are not really enough to draw any conclusions. The uncertainties in the result are then about +/-32 points. Uncertainties for Canikon will be lower (higher market share), but the only real outcome seems to be that Panasonic gets ratings that are below the industry average. And they do not produce DSLRs (in the original sense, with movable mirrors inside...), do they? I can't really get rid of the feeling that this is another worthless survey result.

Hmm, now I did spoil the fun...

coon
06-29-2012, 08:43 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well who wouldn't want a last picture off your dead baby going to the semetary
06-29-2012, 09:08 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by coon Quote
Well, I don't want to spoil the fun, but with 8100 people participating and let's say 10% market share of Pentax, about 810 people who participated are not really enough to draw any conclusions. The uncertainties in the result are then about +/-32 points. Uncertainties for Canikon will be lower (higher market share), but the only real outcome seems to be that Panasonic gets ratings that are below the industry average. And they do not produce DSLRs (in the original sense, with movable mirrors inside...), do they? I can't really get rid of the feeling that this is another worthless survey result.

Hmm, now I did spoil the fun...

coon
You could have a sample mean within +/-5% of the population mean 19 times out of 20 assuming they managed a random sampling of just 384 individuals. I guess its not a random sample, as its based on online purchases...but I don't see how you can arrive at +/-32 points.

I'm not a stats prof though.
06-29-2012, 09:57 AM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Gareth.Ig Quote
You could have a sample mean within +/-5% of the population mean 19 times out of 20 assuming they managed a random sampling of just 384 individuals. I guess its not a random sample, as its based on online purchases...but I don't see how you can arrive at +/-32 points.

I'm not a stats prof though.
But these 5% are equivalent to about 45 points (with a mean of 899 points). And the difference between Pentax and the industry standard is only 11 points or 1.24%. So not very meaningful.

I also did not calculate anything "correctly", I just applied the estimate 'uncertainty = mean/sqrt(N)', and that gives about 32 for mean=899 and N=810 (number of samples). It was more or less a plausibility check only.

coon