Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2008, 06:48 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mutley Quote
I wasn't being serious. Just thought I'd clarify.

But, good ol' thibs always attacks me personally, though doesn't realize or care in the slightest that I've absolutely never, not once, attacked him...personally.

My original comment on the subject was the coincidence of some of the subjects I agreed with were actually implemented, not that I came up with them.

I was informed very clearly that any Pentax exec, or marketing employee who reads this forum has placed me in their ignore list early on, so how could I think I have even the slightest effect on anything?
Oh okay. No worries on this side, at least. But I think any Pentax employee would do well not to put any poster here on their ignore list. A variety of viewpoints certainly makes for more intelligent discussion.

01-26-2008, 10:02 AM   #32
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by quarc Quote
I will deinfitely post my findings and test shots when I have them unless enough people already have at that point.
Great! What's critical are head-to-head comparisons with other cameras: K20D vs. K10D and/or K20D versus whatever. Try to get settings and lenses and conditions matched up as perfectly as possible then post minimally-processed shots from each.

IQ means more than test-pattern shots for resolution/DR and gray card shots for measuring noise. IQ, where it counts most IMHO, resides in complex scenes that must be rendered with qualities like well-balanced and subtle contrast, low-light color accuracy and avoidance of white blowouts all at the same time. I say qualities like because it's hard to describe this kind of IQ in words. Find head-to-head shots that compare the Canon 5D to any non-FF camera and you'll see what I mean. I'd gladly accept some noise and sacrifice some resolution for that kind of scene-rendering ability.
01-26-2008, 10:08 AM   #33
Forum Member

Could someone explain to me what camera LCD calibration in K20D is for?
01-26-2008, 10:26 AM   #34

Personally I don't give a rats behind about fps above 3fps since I almost never use that feature even shooting flying birds.

AF is another story, but I can live with the slow Pentax DSLR AF if the IQ is better than the K10D, since my K10D was better than my friends D200. Although the slow AF seems strange to me since my PZ-1 and my MZ-S focus far faster than the K10D, so I know Pentax can do it, but just not in a DSLR for some reason.

I will be buying one if the IQ is better than the K10D and I won't be wishing it was a D300 with a Pentax label on it. If I wanted a D300, I would buy one!

Tom

01-26-2008, 10:41 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ramzey Quote
Could someone explain to me what camera LCD calibration in K20D is for?
So that the image that appears on it is a true representation of the shot you took. The same as calibrating your computer monitor.
01-26-2008, 10:46 AM   #36
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
So that the image that appears on it is a true representation of the shot you took. The same as calibrating your computer monitor.
Is this coming with sensor adjusting lcd to current lightning condition? If not its worthless
01-26-2008, 10:59 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ramzey Quote
Is this coming with sensor adjusting lcd to current lightning condition? If not its worthless
Adjusting a test shot is too much work, huh?

01-26-2008, 12:16 PM   #38

QuoteOriginally posted by mutley:
Yes, they reduced the 22 bit A/D to 14 bit, and made the specific decision to make the RAW files 12 bit instead of 14 bit that would have been more competitive.
More competitive? I don't get it. Yeah, D300 has 14 bit A/D as well but...

As for 12 bit RAW, Pentax needs to be more competitive? I can't buy that. Saying the K20with 12 bit RAW could be more competitive with 14 bit RAW...it's like saying D300 shooters won't use 12 bit RAW at all. But what do I know. I'm not a D300 user. But here is one who is and it's intersting what he's says:

Are 14-bit Raw Images Really Any Better Than 12-bit Raw? - Photo Tips @ Earthbound Light

"Maximum frame rate on the D300 drops from 6 frames per second with 12-bit raw to only 2.5 frames per second in 14-bit mode."

What comparably, is the difference between 14MP 12bit RAW at 3FPS (K20D), 12MP 14bit RAW at 2.8FPS (D300) and 10MP 14bit RAW at 6.5FPS (Canon 40D)?

Of course the 40D has the fastest RAW framerate. But the D300 has a choice between 12 or 14 bit RAW. But the K20D has 14 Megapixels. All are offering a little difference, a little more in a different area but to me, pretty equal on paper, pretty competitive juggling these specs.

I don't see how the K20D isn't ready to seriously compete or could be more competitive without testing the new sensor. It will be fine.
01-28-2008, 02:13 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Quote
More competitive? I don't get it. Yeah, D300 has 14 bit A/D as well but...

As for 12 bit RAW, Pentax needs to be more competitive? I can't buy that. Saying the K20with 12 bit RAW could be more competitive with 14 bit RAW...it's like saying D300 shooters won't use 12 bit RAW at all. But what do I know. I'm not a D300 user. But here is one who is and it's intersting what he's says:

Are 14-bit Raw Images Really Any Better Than 12-bit Raw? - Photo Tips @ Earthbound Light

"Maximum frame rate on the D300 drops from 6 frames per second with 12-bit raw to only 2.5 frames per second in 14-bit mode."

What comparably, is the difference between 14MP 12bit RAW at 3FPS (K20D), 12MP 14bit RAW at 2.8FPS (D300) and 10MP 14bit RAW at 6.5FPS (Canon 40D)?

Of course the 40D has the fastest RAW framerate. But the D300 has a choice between 12 or 14 bit RAW. But the K20D has 14 Megapixels. All are offering a little difference, a little more in a different area but to me, pretty equal on paper, pretty competitive juggling these specs.

I don't see how the K20D isn't ready to seriously compete or could be more competitive without testing the new sensor. It will be fine.
Thanks for the link and line-up. Very good point