Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2008, 11:31 PM   #1
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Brazil
Posts: 377
Power Zoom?

Is PowerZoom coming back?

Considering that the K20D has support for it, that looks like a good reason for the 60-250mm being delayed. What do you think?

01-24-2008, 12:49 AM   #2
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ålesund, Norway
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 170
The K10D has support for it as well.
The connectors are the same as SDM uses.
01-24-2008, 01:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Brazil
Posts: 377
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kskjon Quote
The K10D has support for it as well.
The connectors are the same as SDM uses.
Yea, the connectors have been re-used, but I don't remember seeing PowerZoom listed as a feature for the K10. PZ doesn't work on it, the specs say "not supported".

The K20D brochure mentions "PowerZoom support" - the german version at least. I wonder if it would be possible to use the contacts for SDM/PZ at the same time.
01-24-2008, 02:31 AM   #4
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ålesund, Norway
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 170
The K10D does work with PowerZoom. I've tried it myself

01-24-2008, 02:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member
eurostar's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Albareto, Italy
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 817
QuoteOriginally posted by ricardobeat Quote
Yea, the connectors have been re-used, but I don't remember seeing PowerZoom listed as a feature for the K10. PZ doesn't work on it, the specs say "not supported".

The K20D brochure mentions "PowerZoom support" - the german version at least. I wonder if it would be possible to use the contacts for SDM/PZ at the same time.
No. The same contacts power old powerzoom or new SDM lenses.
01-24-2008, 04:43 AM   #6
Junior Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Moscow
Posts: 39
K10 work with PZ, but K100Super - does not!
01-24-2008, 05:01 AM   #7
Veteran Member
-spam-'s Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 357
QuoteOriginally posted by ricardobeat Quote
that looks like a good reason for the 60-250mm being delayed. What do you think?
Eck, no. Give me a twist ring zoom any day of the week
04-29-2009, 05:17 AM   #8
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2007
Location: Somerset, UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 629
on the other hand what happens if you put a SDM lens on a camera with power zoom contacts?

04-29-2009, 07:05 AM   #9
Veteran Member
Steelski's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Varna
Posts: 468
QuoteOriginally posted by dopeytree Quote
on the other hand what happens if you put a SDM lens on a camera with power zoom contacts?
apparently nothing. it does not AF.

what am I saying apparently. I have tried it by accident on my Pz-1p . No AF!!!
04-29-2009, 07:12 AM   #10
Veteran Member
PePe's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 464
QuoteOriginally posted by kskjon Quote
The K10D does work with PowerZoom. I've tried it myself
Yes, you get the basic PowerZoom function i.e. motorised zoom but nothing else. PowerZoom, as it was originally inroduced, included a number of other functions and features. These are no longer supported.Most of these features I did not find very useful. The one I did use was motorised zooming during exposure.
04-29-2009, 07:53 AM   #11
Veteran Member
Venturi's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Tulsa, OK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,639
Speaking of.... does anyone have an extra copy of either the PZ-1 or 28-105 operators manual?
All I have is a poor quality PDF scan of the camera manual.
05-06-2009, 10:04 AM   #12
Pentaxian
Cambo's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Vancouver, BC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 864
Let me guess...

QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
Speaking of.... does anyone have an extra copy of either the PZ-1 or 28-105 operators manual?
All I have is a poor quality PDF scan of the camera manual.
can't remember what the switch and the buttons do on the lens...

they are tough to remember...I'll try to dig one out for you. Then see if my scanner still wrks (haven't used that since the film days).

Cheers,
Cameron
05-06-2009, 11:25 AM   #13
Veteran Member
Venturi's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Tulsa, OK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,639
hehe, well the PDF is readable, but I just like "books".

On a related note though... I just realized that the zoom ring on the 28-105 (power zoom version) slides so you can use it like a "real" zoom! I was outside last weekend and juggling the PZ-1/28-105 and a 1yo and heard/felt a *click* and low and behold the zoom ring spun.
05-06-2009, 08:40 PM   #14
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,934
SDM and PZ cannot co-exist (?)

QuoteOriginally posted by ricardobeat Quote
Is PowerZoom coming back?

Considering that the K20D has support for it, that looks like a good reason for the 60-250mm being delayed. What do you think?
AFAIK, powered zoom and SDM cannot co-exist. K10D prior to fw 1.3 can drive PZ lens but not SDM (and of course). And with a K10D upgraded to FW 1.3, it can drive SDM but PZ lenses will have no function for the power zoom.

I have never heard that K20D can support both PZ and SDM. Anyone out there has all the three things can try out and tell?
05-06-2009, 09:06 PM   #15
Veteran Member
PePe's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 464
QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
AFAIK, powered zoom and SDM cannot co-exist. K10D prior to fw 1.3 can drive PZ lens but not SDM (and of course). And with a K10D upgraded to FW 1.3, it can drive SDM but PZ lenses will have no function for the power zoom.

I have never heard that K20D can support both PZ and SDM. Anyone out there has all the three things can try out and tell?
I have a K10D updated to fw 1.30.
I am using both SDM lenses and my earlier power zoom lenses, and they both work fine. With the latter you have the basic power zoom function i.e. motorised zoom, but no image tracking or other power zoom special features. This was the case already with earlier firmware versions.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
pentax news, pentax rumors
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FA 28-105mm power zoom question pdxbmw Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 6 08-25-2009 12:03 PM
Power Zoom lens on a K10d HeavyD Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 4 07-20-2009 03:49 PM
How much zoom power do I need. Dekka Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 10 07-31-2008 02:18 PM
About the SMC FA 28-80 power zoom f/3.5-4.7 hinman Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 22 01-17-2008 05:37 PM
Power Zoom won't function manually Rolly Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 4 08-09-2007 03:28 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:57 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top