Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2008, 04:22 AM   #1

K20D Black & White Raw files?

Hi All,

Having read all the details this morning my head is starting to spin. I thought I read on one of the sites that the K20D gives you the option to shoot Black & White Raw files but I can't find this site with all the information flying around on the forums. Is this true and is it unique to the K20D?

01-24-2008, 05:24 AM   #2

Raw files just directly reproduce sensor data. Unless you can physically remove the color filters built on the sensor you still get normal Raw files where each pixel has only one color value (so in a sense all Raw files are B&W). But since neighbouring pixels have different color filters you can't directly use these values for B&W image, you still need interpolation jut like for color images.
01-24-2008, 08:14 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by johnny_rino Quote
Hi All,

Having read all the details this morning my head is starting to spin. I thought I read on one of the sites that the K20D gives you the option to shoot Black & White Raw files but I can't find this site with all the information flying around on the forums. Is this true and is it unique to the K20D?
No, the RAW Data will still be colour. You'll get a B&W preview JPEG instead.

RAW+JPEG is the way to go for B&W mode. That way you get a colour RAW and B&W JPEG