Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2008, 05:05 AM   #1

Will be there a new version of the D-BG2 (D-BG2 MKII ??)?

Hi all

It is nice that the old D-BG2 grip is going to work with the K20D off course, but is Pentax going to release a new updated version of the grip ?
With a dedicated AF button and a dedicated ISO ad WB button ?
Maybe also a handstrap opportunity ? That would be for me the main reason to buy a newer grip(I do own the old D-BG2).

Somebody knows if there is a possibility that Pentax is going to do this ? aka listening to their users ?

01-24-2008, 05:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member

A separate AF button and the ability to have two batteries in the grip sure would be nice.
01-24-2008, 05:19 AM   #3
Forum Member

It will be the same...
And with an new grip I will be nice of there is an 4 inch screen on the bottom with live view....

And D-BG3 is the name for the grip for the K200D. So it will be a little confusing in the stores for buying the good grip.
01-24-2008, 05:19 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by -spam- Quote
A separate AF button and the ability to have two batteries in the grip sure would be nice.
Yes that would be a big upgrade for me
and please don't forget the hand-strap :P

01-24-2008, 05:24 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AnoLife Quote
It will be the same...
And with an new grip I will be nice of there is an 4 inch screen on the bottom with live view....

And D-BG3 is the name for the grip for the K200D. So it will be a little confusing in the stores for buying the good grip.
Yes I know, that's why I ask for a new one :P

Well that's true That's why my suggestion to name it D-BG2 mkII
01-24-2008, 05:52 AM   #6
Forum Member

I really do not think that Pentax will make an new grip for the K20D (and K10D). The priorities will be on other things like making the K1D/K30D/645D and develop an new AF-system and higher fps cam... Just to make all Pentaxians happy.
01-24-2008, 05:57 AM   #7

Af Button!

The lack of an AF-button on the grip is exactly why I never use the grip for anything else than ergonomity and SD storage. It is absolutely needed.

01-24-2008, 06:03 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Elton Quote
The lack of an AF-button on the grip is exactly why I never use the grip for anything else than ergonomity and SD storage. It is absolutely needed.
And extra power?

Aren't those the main three features of the D-BG2 anyway? If Ergonomity includes buttons.

Actually I'm very happy Pentax didn't change (they might upgrade, ofcourse). But making the D-BG2 compatible with the K20D actually makes me buy the grip for my K10D. If I'll ever upgrade to the K20D (which just might happen..) I would still be able to use the grip on that camera as well :-)

Good to hear something from you again Priyantha, why are you never on GoT anymore?
01-24-2008, 06:27 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by barendvl Quote
And extra power?

Well, no. I don't use it for extra power, but I always have my battery in the grip.

I found this to be the best solution because when I used two batteries at the same time I used to go empty all of a sudden without warning. Now I can easily change the battery which is in the grip when needed and allways have a backup battery.

Also changing the battery in the camera takes to much time. Much neater to just slide out the battery drawer in the grip.
01-24-2008, 06:41 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Having a AF button on the grip would be an improvement indeed. However, I'm happy that the grip remained the same too... I got used to it so that's one less adjustment to make to get all the new features... That includes holding the camera in a slightly odd fashion to reach the on-body AF button in vertical position...

More batteries would probably mean more bulky grip, and I like the size as it is. Please don't make it bigger...

A dedicated ISO button isn't needed as the OK button is just as easily reached in both horizontal and vertical position. A dedicate WB button isn't present on the body, so it won't ever on the grip. The software is written for the body and the grip just replaces functions on the body. It will never add functions not on the body imho...

Wim
01-24-2008, 06:51 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
The software is written for the body and the grip just replaces functions on the body. It will never add functions not on the body imho...

But they could easily put in an option in custum functions that would flip so that AE-L button would do what AF-button does and vice versa. This way people like me that never uses the AE-L button could have an AF-button on the grip. This would work perfectly on both grip and camera.

So engineers, please take a note of this and put it in the final firmware. I will bake you a very nice cake if you do.
01-24-2008, 06:59 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Elton Quote
But they could easily put in an option in custum functions that would flip so that AE-L button would do what AF-button does and vice versa. This way people like me that never uses the AE-L button could have an AF-button on the grip. This would work perfectly on both grip and camera.

So engineers, please take a note of this and put it in the final firmware. I will bake you a very nice cake if you do.
That's what the First Look at the K20D published on popfoto.com also suggests...

However, I would find that too confusing for one. Changing the function of a general button such as the OK button or the arrow buttons on the 4way controller is one thing, but changing the function of a button which explicitely displays another function is generally not considered very user friendly interface design.

Second I'm pretty sure that more people use the AE-L button than the AF button? The AE-L button has a general function, whereas I notice the AF button is a nice feature appreciated by a select audience only (including myself). That select audience obviously uses their AF button much more than their AE-L button, but the other part of the K10D/K20D using population (I fear this might be the vast majority) probably never uses the AF button at all...

Wim
01-24-2008, 07:02 AM   #13
TDN
Forum Member

I think Pentax's priorities lay elsewhere for the moment...like getting models out in the stores in time!
01-24-2008, 07:23 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
That's what the First Look at the K20D published on popfoto.com also suggests...

However, I would find that too confusing for one. Changing the function of a general button such as the OK button or the arrow buttons on the 4way controller is one thing, but changing the function of a button which explicitely displays another function is generally not considered very user friendly interface design.

I agree, changing a buttons function to do something else than it says is not very user friendly, and off course, I don't want Pentax to change this permanently in a new firmware. However, I cannot see why they couldn't include it as a custom functions option. Hidden away in that menu it would only confuse people who willingly and on their own choose to be (dazed and) confused.

The best option indeed would be a grip with both AF and AE-L buttons, but since the engineers have more than enough on their hands they could buy some time with what I believe to be a fairly simple firmwareupgrade.

So my cake-offer is still up.
01-24-2008, 07:36 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Since the original grip fits, I doubt they will.
What no one seems to have asked is if they addressed the horizontal line noise from using the battery grip's battery. I suspected this needed to be fixed inside the body instead of in the grip, but I'm sure K20D purchasers will find out soon ;-)