Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2008, 05:07 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax really listens! Thanks!

The K20D looks great on the large scale of headline features, but what really impresses me are the little changes they've clearly made in response to actually listening to users -- things I've heard mentioned here and thought "yeah, that would be a good idea".
  • Option for lower JPEG compression
  • Separate setting for edge sharpening
  • Customizable filename prefixes

So, thanks, Pentax-engineers-we-know-are-reading.

Anything else in this category that other people are glad to see? Anything that's missing along these lines? (Not "increase the frame rate" or "give us ISO 12800".)

The improvement over my K10D isn't enough that I can justify dropping a thousand dollars to upgrade (not when I've still got lenses to buy!), but with things going in this direction I can't wait for the K30D.

01-24-2008, 05:41 AM   #2
baw

Seems hotpixel remapping can be done with the K20D.
I had this option on my Nikon 5700, and it is a must imo on digital cameras.
01-24-2008, 05:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by baw Quote
Seems hotpixel remapping can be done with the K20D.
Really? Wow, that'd be another great example, not least because it's me in specific who has been complaining about that.

QuoteQuote:
I had this option on my Nikon 5700, and it is a must imo on digital cameras.
My Olympus C5060 too. I was shocked to find the K100D/K10D didn't have the option.
01-24-2008, 05:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Not to mention the variable in-camera noise reduction settings. I wonder if it affects RAW or just JPG images though.

Sony users would eat their hats to be able to control NR in camera since it DOES affect RAW images...

01-24-2008, 06:15 AM   #5
baw

Pixelmaping

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Really?
In the English K20/K200 pdf you'll find a screenshot of the set-up menu.
One of the options is "Pixel Mapping"
01-24-2008, 07:09 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They also added focus tuning for ff/bf for each lens, live view, and a pc connector for studio flash. They did good. Order mine as soon as they will let me.
thanks
barondla
01-24-2008, 07:54 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Color calibrating the LCD. A great feature. And the intervalometer. It really is the the little things that have me most excited about the K20D. I won't be replacing my K10D, mostly because when I buy something I do it for the long haul, but the little things impress me far more than the big points they're pushing.

01-24-2008, 08:58 AM   #8
Veteran Member

One thing I don't like, and I believe it would have taken not much to implement, was that we have still just one USER position. There is room on the knob for three, I would have found that very useful.
01-24-2008, 09:03 AM   #9
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

All the features above are great. Thanks for the PC connection. But frankly the image quality at the lower ISO's looks great from the first impressions and the high ISO's are very good and usable. Plus I like the fact I can reuse my grip.
01-24-2008, 09:07 AM   #10
Veteran Member

J'en veut un (sorry, but it makes me forget my english). At least, I'll be able to have one for the air shows season. Good
01-24-2008, 11:11 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eurostar Quote
One thing I don't like, and I believe it would have taken not much to implement, was that we have still just one USER position. There is room on the knob for three, I would have found that very useful.
I was thinking about this, and really what I'd like is not a USER dial position but instead little series of buttons (four, say) each of which resets the camera to a user-defined state. I generally like the camera to retain settings even when turned off, but I also like to be able to pick it up and quickly have it ready to shoot in the current situation.
01-24-2008, 02:06 PM   #12

I wish they'd have listened to the overwhelming requests for 5 fps, 1/250 sync, and faster AF.

Hey, the new features are gonna make a lot of folks happy. I'm not one of them. Pentax did little to address the shortcomings of the K10D IMHO.
01-24-2008, 02:19 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by iglass Quote
I wish they'd have listened to the overwhelming requests for 5 fps, 1/250 sync, and faster AF.
Overwhelming? Hardly. Especially outside this forum or dpreview.
For the general market, megapixels means everything.

QuoteQuote:
Hey, the new features are gonna make a lot of folks happy. I'm not one of them. Pentax did little to address the shortcomings of the K10D IMHO.
I beg to differ. Pentax address one of the most important aspect of a camera - image quality in a big big way!
01-24-2008, 02:26 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
Overwhelming? Hardly. Especially outside this forum or dpreview.
For the general market, megapixels means everything.

I beg to differ. Pentax address one of the most important aspect of a camera - image quality in a big big way!

Sure... they're gonna sell some cameras based on the megapixel per dollar price point. But serious shooters know that MP is not the best indicator of picture quality!

We can agree to disagree. Again, if you're happy with the K20D, more power to you. Pentax did nothing to meet my wish list on a new camera. In my mind, Pentax forged ahead with a lot of fluff and did not seriously attempt to match competitors in the same price range or market segment.
01-24-2008, 02:38 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by iglass Quote
But serious shooters know that MP is not the best indicator of picture quality!
Neither does FPS.

QuoteQuote:
In my mind, Pentax forged ahead with a lot of fluff and did not seriously attempt to match competitors in the same price range or market segment.
Wow, you call improving image quality, high ISO sensitivities and dynamic range "fluff"?
Ha! What can I say?