Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2008, 09:11 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by philmorley Quote
someone hacked the k10d firmware and modified the language to their native language. It was on dpreview. He was absolutely blasted to the point of people sending me hate mail etc for how could you do such a thing to pentax etc you'd have thought he was an international terrorist the way people carried on.

hmmm.... but then say you're not happy with k20d and see what happens
GET OUT!!

Where?!? Did you keep a link or anything?

My oh my how I would love to enable the scroll wheels with M42 lenses attached.

01-24-2008, 09:16 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
If Pentax grows in user-base, we might have some adventuring souls who might try to hack the Pentax firmware.
You mean like this?

Pentax K10D Firmware Fun - Scratchpad Wiki Labs - Free wikis from Wikia
01-24-2008, 09:18 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
You guys totally kick ass. Now I need to figure out what the hell it means...
01-24-2008, 09:43 PM   #34

lemme at the code!!!

Doh! They're still at a pretty low level over at wikia. I don't see any reverse compilation to C, not yet, anyway. I haven't touched assembly for too long, plus I'd usually rather take pictures than hack assembly, anyhow.

Changing strings in the f/w is easy. Giving the hardware new instructions is a whole 'nother level of difficult.

What doesn't work about the scroll wheels when M42 lenses are attached? You can't change the aperture, and I don't see how any firmware will change that... But I use the scroll wheel to shift my shutter speeds in M mode when I have my telescope attached via a T-ring adapter....
What did you want the wheels to do?

If it's possible I'd be glad to help/contribute.

-Chris

01-24-2008, 09:49 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hinckc Quote
lemme at the code!!!

Doh! They're still at a pretty low level over at wikia. I don't see any reverse compilation to C, not yet, anyway. I haven't touched assembly for too long, plus I'd usually rather take pictures than hack assembly, anyhow.

Changing strings in the f/w is easy. Giving the hardware new instructions is a whole 'nother level of difficult.

What doesn't work about the scroll wheels when M42 lenses are attached? You can't change the aperture, and I don't see how any firmware will change that... But I use the scroll wheel to shift my shutter speeds in M mode when I have my telescope attached via a T-ring adapter....
What did you want the wheels to do?

If it's possible I'd be glad to help/contribute.

-Chris
Front wheel - Exposure Compensation
Rear wheel - ISO

It can be reversed, I'm OK with that.

Ideally, I'd like to see some of these neat ideas on my *ist D, which has a far worse UI. The K10D is pretty good already.
01-24-2008, 10:48 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ricardobeat Quote
No one is listening! This from pentaximaging.com:

it also says this in the VIEWFINDER specs:

Digital, Live View (FOV 100%, magnification 4x/8x available, grid pattern available)

And then again on the LCD:

Live View available (TTL by image sensor, 100% FOV)

Looks like they got carried away by the rumours :]
That's a very bad error.
Yes, this is very bad because it actually would be finally a very innovative implementation of Live-View, usable with in-viewfinder live histogram.

Compared to just a wimpy rear LCD live view with clunky mirror AF even after all the past year's reviews of cameras without Contrast Detect focusing showing smirky disdain.

In doing some semblance of market research, it should be true that there is in-viewfinder live view, and contrast detect AF.

If you're going to have the feature at all, don't do it proudly half-assed. Include these things.
01-24-2008, 10:57 PM   #37
raz

Is not an error.
A viewfinder doens't necesary mean the piece of glass you stick your eye to it. A viewfinder can be a monitor as well, in this case you can say you have 2 viewfinders, the lcd in live view and the normal one.

01-25-2008, 12:34 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
Front wheel - Exposure Compensation
Rear wheel - ISO

It can be reversed, I'm OK with that.

Ideally, I'd like to see some of these neat ideas on my *ist D, which has a far worse UI. The K10D is pretty good already.
hi, if you get anywhere with it, dont mention it on dpreview
01-25-2008, 12:41 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by raz Quote
Is not an error.
A viewfinder doens't necesary mean the piece of glass you stick your eye to it. A viewfinder can be a monitor as well, in this case you can say you have 2 viewfinders, the lcd in live view and the normal one.
But, Pentax separated it into 2 sections, and repeated the feature.
01-25-2008, 05:58 AM   #40

To me the real groundbreaking feature is the K200 weather sealed! THIS could flip the market upsde down...
01-25-2008, 06:08 AM   #41
Pentaxian

No, not really. "I've dropped my xxxx non-weather sealed camera in the ocean last summer, and it still works. I don't need weather sealing". How many times I've heard that?
Weather sealing is like toilet paper - you don't realize how important it is until it happens
01-25-2008, 06:18 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Priyantha Bleeker Quote
Yes I would yes !
Of course it would be nice to see than also the Aperture coupler back, just like Nikon also does with the Dxxx models and their D2 and D3 series

And yes I am willing to pay the price of the D300 for a comparable Pentax.
Why not ? The camera is than comparable, and has even functions which the Nikon lacks
Sounds logical but then I don't see where is the problem in the K10==>K20 upgrade and not having 5-6fps, does the D80 have 6 fps?

K20D is not D300 equivalent and accordingly not sold at D300 price... seems about right...

K20D is equivalent to D90 and I am pretty sure it is going to give it a run for it's money when this fella come out of the wood (mid-end 2008 apparently...)

If you (and me BTW) want an equivalent to the D300, you (we)''ll have to wait for an hypothetical K2D.
01-25-2008, 06:30 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philmorley Quote
someone hacked the k10d firmware and modified the language to their native language. It was on dpreview. He was absolutely blasted to the point of people sending me hate mail etc for how could you do such a thing to pentax etc you'd have thought he was an international terrorist the way people carried on.

hmmm.... but then say you're not happy with k20d and see what happens
Well, it really gets nasty over there. I'm thinking of avoiding those forums altogether for the next couple of days, too much of the same being discussed and a lot of people never agreeing to disagree.

If anything, Pentax created a lot of publicity among photographers. Even those using other brands jumped into some of the threads over there with their 2 cents.

That said, it's sad how people there have blasted the person. He/she might have unlocked/added a couple of more features. Now, that person would keep whatever breakthroughs he/she made to the code to himself/herself, which is a loss to other, more open-minded Pentax users.

Also sad that I don't know assembly code. I would've been willing to help eke out some more functionality and share it for free to forum users here.
01-25-2008, 06:42 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
Well, it really gets nasty over there. I'm thinking of avoiding those forums altogether for the next couple of days, too much of the same being discussed and a lot of people never agreeing to disagree.

If anything, Pentax created a lot of publicity among photographers. Even those using other brands jumped into some of the threads over there with their 2 cents.

That said, it's sad how people there have blasted the person. He/she might have unlocked/added a couple of more features. Now, that person would keep whatever breakthroughs he/she made to the code to himself/herself, which is a loss to other, more open-minded Pentax users.

Also sad that I don't know assembly code. I would've been willing to help eke out some more functionality and share it for free to forum users here.
I can't imagine why this would generate such an uproar. I don't remember people getting up in arms when the service menu on the K10D was hacked.

That was actually another point where I wished Pentax would jump in with their innovation. They HAD the back focus/front focus adjustments in-camera with the K10D. Why not make it available in the menu? It would have totally stolen Canon's thunder when the released this with their Mk3 camera.

Anyway, I too would decipher the code if I knew how. If anyone wants to point me in a direction to get started I will. (And of course I will share any of my innovations freely.)