Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2008, 07:55 AM   #1

How many of the K20D features can/will be implemented in a new firmware for K10D?

After looking the K20D introduction video at youtube, I realize they made quite a few tweakings in the functions controlled by the user, and I bet many of them can be introduced too in an upcoming firmware (1.4) for the K10D. For instance, customization of the RAW button comes to my mind.

Does anybody know if this is planned by Pentax?

Furthermore, a question for the people with deep tech knowledge: how many of them can actually be implemented in the K10D by firmware, without any hardware change?

01-24-2008, 07:59 AM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by cateto Quote
After looking the K20D introduction video at youtube, I realize they made quite a few tweakings in the functions controlled by the user, and I bet many of them can be introduced too in an upcoming firmware (1.4) for the K10D. For instance, customization of the RAW button comes to my mind.

Does anybody know if this is planned by Pentax?

Furthermore, a question for the people with deep tech knowledge: how many of them can actually be implemented in the K10D by firmware, without any hardware change?
Anything that's in the K200D could show up in the K10D. From the specs, it looks like the K200D is using the K10D's processing with a smaller buffer and software tweaks.
01-24-2008, 01:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There is nothing on the K200D that the K10D does not have (save for the extra 0.2" in screen size).

There is no chance of Live View appearing on the K10D, and I doubt "1.4" will bring any significant improvement, because Pentax needs to sell cameras, not satisfy existing customers for no $$$.
01-24-2008, 01:30 PM   #4

If they are smart (and I think they are) they will give K10D owners some new functionality. There are lots of people out there that have a K10D as their first o second DSLR. The more loyal they are, the more they will talk about Pentax to their friends. Then their friends will by a K20....and if you had the camera first, do you want to sit with the 'old' model..... But they will not give too much of course, just enough to keep people happy. Many of the feaytures will not be possible for memory or processing power reasons, but some will, and I think (hope) we will see some of those.

01-24-2008, 01:49 PM   #5

Original Poster
^Completely co-sign.

Forgetting old customers is not Pentax style: it is the style of other brands. The better they treat old customers, the better reputation will they have. I started with a Pentax P30 years ago; I am not a pro by any means, but I always kept a soft spot for Pentax, and all people who asked for advice to me knew about Pentax. I trust the situation will remain the same in this regard.

Last edited by cateto; 01-24-2008 at 02:06 PM.
01-24-2008, 01:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

historically, Pentax has been very good about adding features to an existing camera's firmware, when a new upgraded camera is released. There were some rumors not long ago, that once the new line is out the door, Pentax would start working on a K10D firmware upgrade.
01-24-2008, 01:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
There is nothing on the K200D that the K10D does not have (save for the extra 0.2" in screen size).
Not true. It also has more tone curves (natural, bright, portrait, landscape, vivid, b&w), the "dust alert" feature, and the enhanced dynamic range thing. And customizable RAW button. Oh, and the ability to save digital preview images. And more readable menu options.

All of these seem like they could be added to the K10D in a firmware update, but I'll be surprised (and impressed) if Pentax devotes the engineer time to enhancing something they don't make anymore.