Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2008, 09:33 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
They must be, given the extreme similarity of design. (Or else Pentax is in turn getting huge price breaks on the sensor, or something like that.) But I wouldn't worry too much -- have you seen Samsung's lens lineup?
True, but that doesnt take into account third party lens makers who seem to be putting out affordable lenses at near Pentax quality if not better (as well as used lenses sold on ebay and marketplaces). Especially true of the consumer range lenses. Hoya have eyeballed this scenario carefully and in all honesty i really do hope that Pentax can make the quota that Hoya expects of them, but if i can have the same camera at 300 euro (which is about NZD $600) less, the smart money is on Samsung is all im saying.

Last edited by Kaimarx; 01-24-2008 at 09:47 PM.
01-25-2008, 02:21 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Lusk Quote
Is there a reason to buy the Pentax over the Samsung with the Samsung being priced much better?

The article says the sensor was developed by Samsung (is that wrong?) and I believe the "image pipeline" is Samsung's- so what is Pentax supplying aside from lenses?

I also found the fact that Hoya does not appear to be backing Pentax with $$$ (according to Mr. Onada) very interesting. Sounds like he's saying Hoya is NOT a risk-taker, so Pentax has to fund developments themselves and Onada admits they have limited $$$ of their own.

Curious and curiouser...
What was said at the press conference was that Pentax designed the sensor and it was manufactured by Samsung.

Ben
01-25-2008, 05:07 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Jeff, thanks for the link. The article shares a few minor misstatements, some noted in earlier posts, but I most appreciated the brief remarks attributed to Mr. Onanda. I don't interpret his statements as saying that Hoya isn't being supportive. I think there are some things Hoya has to teach Pentax about effective use of resources.

One of the things that kept me from buying earlier Pentax digital products was that the company seemed to crank out numerous short-lived models that weren't up to competitive standards in important (to me) respects. I saw the K10D as a step in the right direction, and gave up an earlier Nikon digital system to come back to Pentax for a modern digital SLR. The company seems to be continuing a strong developmental program, so I'm pretty sure that Pentax will eventually have a model I'd really love (645D). I'll shoot the K10D until then, and will help Pentax's financial progress by investing in some of that new long glass they just announced!

I like what I'm seeing from the modern Pentax lineup so far; hope that more of us (and many new friends) like what they see, too!
01-25-2008, 05:47 AM   #19
Veteran Member

"The price of the Pentax version will drop...at least here in the US... in a relatively short period of time. The Samsung/Pentax price difference alone will see to that."

This is a direct contradiction to what Chris has indicated. He said the price will remain firm and rebates will not be forthcoming anytime soon.

"What was said at the press conference was that Pentax designed the sensor and it was manufactured by Samsung"

Thanks, Ben. There seems to be three different versions - Pentax's, the one where Pentax and Samsung developed it jointly, and the one that seemed to indicate this is a Samsung only development. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

The one point in the interview with Mr. Onada that seems clear is that Hoya is NOT providing funds to Pentax as had been hoped for. This, in turn, would imply that Pentax will have to sink or swim on their own. No major investment from Hoya and no bailout either if Pentax ends up not meeting Hoya's requirements for return on investment.

If this analysis is true, then Samsung (with their financial might) appears to be poised to become a viable force in the DSLR arena, and Pentax's future cannot be determined. One possibility is that they could evolve into a lens manufacturer only and perhaps become a world leader in that field. Hmmmm...

01-25-2008, 06:42 AM   #20
Veteran Member

"The price of the Pentax version will drop...at least here in the US... in a relatively short period of time. The Samsung/Pentax price difference alone will see to that."

This is a direct contradiction to what Chris has indicated. He said the price will remain firm and rebates will not be forthcoming anytime soon.

"What was said at the press conference was that Pentax designed the sensor and it was manufactured by Samsung"

Thanks, Ben. There seems to be three different versions - Pentax's, the one where Pentax and Samsung developed it jointly, and the one that seemed to indicate this is a Samsung only development. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

The one point in the interview with Mr. Onada that seems clear is that Hoya is NOT providing funds to Pentax as had been hoped for. This, in turn, would imply that Pentax will have to sink or swim on their own. No major investment from Hoya and no bailout either if Pentax ends up not meeting Hoya's requirements for return on investment.

If this analysis is true, then Samsung (with their financial might) appears to be poised to become a viable force in the DSLR arena, and Pentax's future cannot be determined. One possibility is that they could evolve into a lens manufacturer only and perhaps become a world leader in that field. Hmmmm...
We share the same sentiments. The $200 price difference can probably be attributed to Hoya wanting to see profit in these new models.

Samsung is probably trying to learn as much as it can now with the development of the K10D/GX-10 and K20D/GX-20 so it could later be able to develop their own DSLRs. I would definitely keep an eye on Samsung, as not only do they have the electronics and manufacturing capability and financial resources, they also have a lens company in Schneider to fall back on should Hoya lop off Pentax.

Samsung is definitely a force to be reckoned with once they start doing their own DSLRs.
01-25-2008, 08:35 AM   #21
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Tom,

I know that Chris is accurate in what he is saying about Pentax remaining resolute in keeping the price high a nd profit margins higher. But there are mitigating factors that always change the economic landscape. First, competition will always drive the price down. Look at Olympus right now... you think they want to knock 150 Euros off their price?... not likely

Additionally, direct competion post PMA will create competitive conflicts. The resolution: Lower prices.

PErhaps the biggest factor is that the US (probably Pentax's biggest market, is moving or leaning towards recession. Bad timing perhaps. And most pentax users are not Pro's who can write off their purchases. SO, one might likely see competitive pricing regardless of Pentax's intent. In a recession revenues for discretionary spending may hurt the largest portion of Pentax's fan base.

Just a couple of thoughts... no crystal ball

Stephen