Photos: Gallery
British Journal Article

Not sure if this has been posted yet.
British Journal of Photography - Asian alliance on class-beating digital SLR

01-24-2008, 08:35 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cool, thanks. The media are going fast and furious on this one. Interesting comments on the 3 levels of camera bodies for the future and the stuff on the 645D If the new lenses and K200/200D's really take off and make them some $$$ we are in for a fun ride for the next few years.
01-24-2008, 08:36 AM   #3
Veteran Member

in an interview with BJP, Onada revealed just how close Pentax had come to launching the 645 AFD. ‘Before the Hoya deal went through we were actually quite ready. We were very much prepared for a launch. But one of the key issues was with distribution. You need huge resources to launch across many countries.’

He was equally reluctant to say when Pentax might introduce a pro-level DSLR, saying it didn’t have the ‘resources or the desire’ to compete with Canon and Nikon at this point. However, he did say that Pentax’ eventual ambition is to have three levels of camera, with one a higher-end model.

The same applies to high-end lenses. ‘Once we have enough resources, we can concentrate on development,’ says Onada. ‘I thought Hoya might invest separately, but no one is going to give you money for no reason. Hoya is unique in that’s it is extremely profitable. But there’s a reason for that. Working with them these past months, I have learnt that they never lose money – and that’s a very strong philosophy. In the past, management would often say, “If you have the guts and commitment, go and do it”. Hoya takes a longer view.’

you heard the man, so keep spending~
01-24-2008, 09:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

very interesting bit:

"However, Samsung will offer it at a substantial discount – up to £300 less when coupled with a new 18-55mm kit lens."

If that is true I'll have to go Samsung again!

01-24-2008, 09:22 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Agreed!

Is there a reason to buy the Pentax over the Samsung with the Samsung being priced much better?

The article says the sensor was developed by Samsung (is that wrong?) and I believe the "image pipeline" is Samsung's- so what is Pentax supplying aside from lenses?

I also found the fact that Hoya does not appear to be backing Pentax with $$$ (according to Mr. Onada) very interesting. Sounds like he's saying Hoya is NOT a risk-taker, so Pentax has to fund developments themselves and Onada admits they have limited $$$ of their own.

Curious and curiouser...
01-24-2008, 09:25 AM   #6
Not Registered

To me sound like a RIP to the 645D project.
01-24-2008, 05:17 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Lusk Quote
Is there a reason to buy the Pentax over the Samsung with the Samsung being priced much better?

The article says the sensor was developed by Samsung (is that wrong?) and I believe the "image pipeline" is Samsung's- so what is Pentax supplying aside from lenses?

I also found the fact that Hoya does not appear to be backing Pentax with $$$ (according to Mr. Onada) very interesting. Sounds like he's saying Hoya is NOT a risk-taker, so Pentax has to fund developments themselves and Onada admits they have limited $$$ of their own.

Curious and curiouser...
I agree with you. Apparently, Hoya's not that enthusiastic with Pentax until they make a killing off these new models. Samsung now looks to be the more enthusiastic supporter, as well as being cheaper. I might go Samsung this time around.

It would also help Samsung to release their own K200D but priced like the A200. That would surely generate bigger sales than the A200 and possibly cut into the 450D's sales.

01-24-2008, 05:54 PM   #8

Photos: Gallery | Albums
645d ???

snippets I can't puzzle together:
Pentax says they were about to release it prior to merger with Hoya but would have struggled with distribution and support.
Pentax doesn't feel it can compete with the big two for the high end marked right now.
Pentax does want to offer three level of cameras with one being full on pro.
Pentax doesn't have the ressources for lots of R&D.

Hoya seems to improve on the distrinution side of things.
Hoya isn't a risk taker, never looses money.

If the 645D was so close to being brought to the market and would clearly stand out form CaNikon in the pro sector and Hoya would improve distribution channels, could that mean, that the 645D is out there somewhere, alive and kickin? Or am I just dreaming?

Hey, we need someone to "read between the lines"
Wendy, where are you?

Cheers,
Torge
01-24-2008, 06:38 PM   #9
Veteran Member

An interesting article....
01-24-2008, 06:48 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
Nice find. The article seems to confirm my thoughts on how Hoya plans on handling this whole thing. The feature set in the k20D falls in line also. Hoya is saying do what you can with the money you have and if you start making a profit we will think about keeping you around. If the rumors that Hoya was throwing money at Pentax to make improvements were true there would have been changes to the AF system.

Don't get me wrong, I think some of the new features on the K20D/Gx20 are great and I'd like to have one if it were priced correctly. The feature set makes it a great $800-$900 unit and I'll buy the GX20 when it hits that price. Why the Samsung instead of the Pentax? Because that is the one that will survive when Hoya sells the division. Might as well start supporting them now. As far as the K200D is concerned Steve and Richard said it best on dpreview when they suggested Pentax shot themselves in the foot.

The biggest problem is will guys like Tom Lusk who have a real need for better AF and higher FPS wait the year it will take for Pentax to come out with something that is suitable.
01-24-2008, 06:50 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by torge Quote
snippets I can't puzzle together:
Pentax says they were about to release it prior to merger with Hoya but would have struggled with distribution and support.
Pentax doesn't feel it can compete with the big two for the high end marked right now.
Pentax does want to offer three level of cameras with one being full on pro.
Pentax doesn't have the ressources for lots of R&D.

Hoya seems to improve on the distrinution side of things.
Hoya isn't a risk taker, never looses money.

If the 645D was so close to being brought to the market and would clearly stand out form CaNikon in the pro sector and Hoya would improve distribution channels, could that mean, that the 645D is out there somewhere, alive and kickin? Or am I just dreaming?

Hey, we need someone to "read between the lines"
Wendy, where are you?

Cheers,
Torge
I won't go into "my guess" on these statements BUT the one big thing Pentax lost is summed up for me here:
In the past, management would often say, “If you have the guts and commitment, go and do it”. Hoya takes a longer view.’
So much for the funny little company called Pentax.
REGKEN you beat me to the pessimistic review........Yes, funny how that article implies a sink or swim, and no allowance for you attitude from
Hoya. And I doubt that Samsung will ever reverse direction here...so on we march.

Last edited by jeffkrol; 01-24-2008 at 06:55 PM.
01-24-2008, 07:19 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I won't go into "my guess" on these statements BUT the one big thing Pentax lost is summed up for me here:
In the past, management would often say, “If you have the guts and commitment, go and do it”. Hoya takes a longer view.’
So much for the funny little company called Pentax.
REGKEN you beat me to the pessimistic review........Yes, funny how that article implies a sink or swim, and no allowance for you attitude from
Hoya. And I doubt that Samsung will ever reverse direction here...so on we march.
Jeff,

Relax.

This is not a negative statement at all. Pentax will be around for a long time to come.
The "Hoya takes a longer view" is quite frankly a very intelligent statement that may bode well by focusing on prioritization and building on success.

I think that the Pentax community here is a little disappoiinted with the overhype of the new cameras. As the days go by and the reviews come in people will begin to see just how much of a quantum leap this camera is for the price. Trust me, the output is worth the price.

The price of the Pentax version will drop...at least here in the US... in a relatively short period of time. The Samsung/Pentax price difference alone will see to that. Additionally, I'm sure the competition will throw some stuff into the mix that will fire the engines of competition.

Stephen
01-24-2008, 08:30 PM   #13

I don't find anything substantional news about Pentax/Hoya in this article. IMO it is just old news, presented in a creative way.

Tim
01-24-2008, 08:49 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I really hope Pentax get a cut off Samsungs dslr sales or this could go down as the biggest stuff up in Pentax's history of stupid business moves (maybe this proposition of giving the manufacturer rights to the camera design is what got the last prez ousted?). For 300 less i'll be more then happy to snatch up a Samsung. If i was Hoya i wouldnt inject any money into such a business propostion either, especially since the outlook is the home team is getting the short end of the stick. The undercutter just got undercut with their own product lol.
01-24-2008, 09:14 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kaimarx Quote
I really hope Pentax get a cut off Samsungs dslr sales or this could go down as the biggest stuff up in Pentax's history of stupid business moves
They must be, given the extreme similarity of design. (Or else Pentax is in turn getting huge price breaks on the sensor, or something like that.) But I wouldn't worry too much -- have you seen Samsung's lens lineup?