Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2008, 08:48 AM   #16
Pentaxian
rvannatta's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Apiary, Oregon
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,176
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
1. kit lense of Pentax is not weather sealed, rest DA* weather sealed lenses are too expensive for amateurs. it's good feature, but it's useless without the same lenses.
2. it's not important. I use only RAW
3. it's funny - what about a lot users who never use M lenses?

450D has battery grip with two types of power, for example.
I don't understand why to launch new camera instead of keep producing K10D which much better.
They could make some changes inside and launch K10D super. It has more sense.
Exactly one reason---- sell it cheaper. my take on the K200 is that it is mostly a down market K10. the longer term news is that if they can ultimately make the 14mp sensor as cheap
as they can buy the 10 mp sensor, a possibility since the 14mp is now 'in the family' for manufacturing purposes, it would make perfect sense to drop the 14 mp sensor in thier
down market camera as well as the flagship.

01-25-2008, 09:03 AM   #17
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 75
It's indeed a good move that they put in Lithium batteries instead of the alkaline ones. The alkaline batteries caused biased opinions for no reason.
For the rest it's mainly about positioning this camera well below the K20D I believe. But it's odd that it's a downgrade from the K10D, for a higher price. I think we will soon see a "K200D Super", or a "K10D Classic".
01-25-2008, 05:21 PM   #18
Senior Member




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Norway
Posts: 267
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
1. kit lense of Pentax is not weather sealed, rest DA* weather sealed lenses are too expensive for amateurs. it's good feature, but it's useless without the same lenses.
I tend to disagre. This is like claiming there is no use in using a rain coat without water tight shoes. You do get wet at your feets, yes, But your body stays dry.

I live in the western part of Norway. I have used my K10D in almost any weather condition with standard lenses. No problem, what so ever. YMMV
The body stays dry inside. And that is where the sensitive electronic is.

Tim
01-25-2008, 08:13 PM   #19
Site Supporter
SpecialK's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: So California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 14,854
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
K200D has really small buffer for DSLR of 2008 year.
It's really BIG MINUS.
Canon 450D is MORE attractive camera with price just 100 USD higher.
Canon EOS 450D / Rebel XSi: what's changed: Digital Photography Review
Ugly back side with 3" LCD , but it's really power machine with a lot of new features and new battery grip.
K200D is too simple. I'm disappointed.
Then don't buy it.

01-25-2008, 09:52 PM   #20
Veteran Member
jsherman999's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,228
QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote

Also Alfisti on the other forum noticed very precisely: noisy and slow AF on K200D (showrooms usually are not lit well) will scare away 9 out of 10 potential buyers towards absolutely silent Nikon D40x-es and Canon 450D-s

I'm not so sure about that... Last year, after getting down to the XTi or D40, I went into the store intending to finalize my research with a hands-on. I happened to play with the K100D when I was in there, and then left without buying anything to research the K100D - it just felt so much better, seemed more expensive - and I saw the benefits of the shake reduction with the first shot I took.

I decided to get the K100D a few days later after some research, after not even considering it prior to that in-store visit.

Now, if the Canon will have SR in the kit lens, that's a very good thing for in-store demos, but unless they really upgraded the build, etc, the in-store experience will probably still favor the K200D. Take it from me, it stands up very well when you've stood there handling both side by side.



.
01-25-2008, 10:03 PM   #21
Junior Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 36
I will tell you OGL, I just bought a k100d super over a k10d partly because of the smaller size. Your needs do not represent everyone's. The k200d will meet many peoples, even if not yours, get over it.

Last edited by Ramitt; 01-25-2008 at 10:46 PM.
01-26-2008, 04:12 AM   #22
ogl
Pentaxian
ogl's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Siberia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,221
Original Poster
What to buy? I want 10 MP small camera with pentaprism and good buffer for my Pentax lenses.
K20D...maybe...But it's bigger and heavier. K20D is very interesting and strong machine.
K200D is old chassis camera. All is thru Fn and Menu button. ((
No choice at all again. K100D super has no AF adjustment menu and if we compare with ist DS,
DS is better in some ways.
I hate the grip of 100/110D. I'm happy that K200D has better grip for me, but I know how slow K100D writes files on card...I think that K200D too.

If Pentax puts pentaprism and 6 RAW buffer in K200D I would buy...
But Pentax didn't do it. I must use ist DS again... It's nonsense. Pentax has no low-end camera with good buffer for several years. It's absurd.
01-26-2008, 05:11 AM   #23
Veteran Member
*isteve's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: London, England
Posts: 1,187
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
What to buy? I want 10 MP small camera with pentaprism and good buffer for my Pentax lenses.
K20D...maybe...But it's bigger and heavier. K20D is very interesting and strong machine.
K200D is old chassis camera. All is thru Fn and Menu button. ((
No choice at all again. K100D super has no AF adjustment menu and if we compare with ist DS,
DS is better in some ways.
I hate the grip of 100/110D. I'm happy that K200D has better grip for me, but I know how slow K100D writes files on card...I think that K200D too.

If Pentax puts pentaprism and 6 RAW buffer in K200D I would buy...
But Pentax didn't do it. I must use ist DS again... It's nonsense. Pentax has no low-end camera with good buffer for several years. It's absurd.
For heavens sake go and try one out instead of reading spec sheets. The buffer does not stop when its full it just slows down to around 1.9 fps if I remember. I have no idea about AF speed, but there is no way it can be slower than the Ds - not possible!

01-26-2008, 06:02 AM   #24
Veteran Member
offertonhatter's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: North West UK
Posts: 377
The DS is increadibly slow, I can't believe how much faster the K10D is over it. I still like my *ISTds but my K10D is better. However as a backup body the DS is fine, just a shame about its AF speed. I wonder why Pentax have two different AF speeds?

In the end though it is IQ that matters, and both have good IQ's
01-26-2008, 06:45 AM   #25
Veteran Member
Mike Cash's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Japan
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,952
The way so many people bitch in the these threads is enough to make you think they already actually have the cameras in their hands. From only reading threads from after the announcement, the casual observer would never guess the K20D and K200D are like Ronco products.....not available in stores.
01-26-2008, 06:48 AM   #26
ogl
Pentaxian
ogl's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Siberia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,221
Original Poster
Anybody know if there is AF menu in K200D? If there is, I can forgive small buffer.
01-26-2008, 07:15 AM   #27
Veteran Member
offertonhatter's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: North West UK
Posts: 377
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
The way so many people bitch in the these threads is enough to make you think they already actually have the cameras in their hands. From only reading threads from after the announcement, the casual observer would never guess the K20D and K200D are like Ronco products.....not available in stores.
I agree, I don't bitch about products not in my hand, but having experience from both my Pentax DSLR's and know their limitations, I just hope that Pentax use the faster af from the K10D in the K200D, rather than the DS clones, as the DS is woefully slow.

The K200D does appeal, as does the K20D, the K200D could be a perfect backup body for my K10D, unless I go for the K20D. If I go the K200D route, then I hope the AF issue is resolved. But only after handling one then I can make on objective decision.

I am going to the PMA show in Birmingham at the end of Feb, so will have an opportunity to handle both the new cameras (along with excellent range of new lenses)
01-26-2008, 08:14 AM   #28
Inactive Account




Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Gloucester UK
Posts: 441
Pentax not at Focus 2008 (UK) in Feb

QuoteOriginally posted by offertonhatter Quote
I agree, I don't bitch about products not in my hand, but having experience from both my Pentax DSLR's and know their limitations, I just hope that Pentax use the faster af from the K10D in the K200D, rather than the DS clones, as the DS is woefully slow.

The K200D does appeal, as does the K20D, the K200D could be a perfect backup body for my K10D, unless I go for the K20D. If I go the K200D route, then I hope the AF issue is resolved. But only after handling one then I can make on objective decision.

I am going to the PMA show in Birmingham at the end of Feb, so will have an opportunity to handle both the new cameras (along with excellent range of new lenses)
AFAIK, Pentax themselves will not be at Focus 2008 in Birmingham in Feb. A few dealers may be there with Pentax products, but they are unlikely to be the new items.

I agree that it's a shame that UK users will not have the opportunity to try the new stuff, but Focus has become more of a boot sale dealer bazaar (garage sale) rather than a serious trade show over the last few years and maybe that's the reason I believe that Pentax are not there. Last year even Canon weren't showing, but they are this year, maybe Pentax may have a lst minute change of heart, but maybe all the space is taken.

It may well be that something can be arranged via the Pentax User magazine (ePhotoZine) people as we did for a couple of days last year. I will keep people updated.

Last edited by Richard Day; 01-26-2008 at 08:15 AM. Reason: missed a word
01-26-2008, 08:33 AM   #29
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 843
QuoteOriginally posted by offertonhatter Quote
However as a backup body the DS is fine, just a shame about its AF speed. I wonder why Pentax have two different AF speeds?
The K10D has a stronger/faster motor. The *ist DS has a weaker motor. Why? It is called money!
The K10D also has more power thank's to the batteries - a more stable power supply.
Try out CR-V3 batteries in the *ist DS, it is like pressing a "turbo" button. AA rechargeables - slow, slow. The *ist DS is very sensitive to the batteries in use, a drawback with using AA batteries.
The K200D is said to have more efficient power management, so perhaps K200D does not have this issue. Don't know.

But, one interresting thing here.
Samsung has not released plans for a Samsung GX-2 (replacement for GX-1S/GX-1L, their version of K200D). So it seems like they will continue selling the GX-10 (K10D) as their "entry level"-alternative.
01-26-2008, 09:45 AM   #30
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Brazil
Posts: 377
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Anybody know if there is AF menu in K200D? If there is, I can forgive small buffer.
You know, I kept listening to all these folks talking about front-focusing, back-focusing and stuff. Tests, tests, comparisons, AF adjustments..

So I decided to do my own testing. Made an angled board with a scale printed on it to check the DOF and focus point. I wasn't able to find a SINGLE lens that 7front or back-focused. Both my cameras' AF is set to 0 on the debug menu. I do get many bad focused shots, but I'm pretty convinced it's all my own fault. All the lenses focused perfectly at different focal lenghts and apertures, not one single problem:

DA 18-55
Sigma 17-70
Sigma 10-20
SA 50-200
M 50 1.7
A 28 2.8
Takumar 135 2.5

The SA 50-200 was absolutely spot on within 1mm at 200mm, subject at 2-3m.

Am I lucky? I'm sure i'm not. I think some folks are too worried about pixel-peeping and forget to pay attention on what they are doing while the camera is in their hands.

Go take some pictures. How many shots have you actually lost because of the buffer?
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
canon, k200d, pentax news, pentax rumors
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
US audit finds weakness in Pentagon controls for Iraq funds; $8.7 billion missing johnmflores General Talk 5 07-28-2010 08:42 AM
DA35 is very good lens without weakness, but too dull ogl Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 52 06-27-2008 12:35 PM
DA35 is very good lens without weakness, but too dull ogl Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 2 05-04-2008 05:58 AM
A K10D/K20D weakness. Peter Zack Pentax DSLR Discussion 5 03-31-2008 11:18 AM
K100D weakness leaton Pentax DSLR Discussion 20 11-06-2006 11:57 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:11 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top