Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2008, 10:29 AM   #1
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd like to talk about K200D weakness

K200D has really small buffer for DSLR of 2008 year.
It's really BIG MINUS.
Canon 450D is MORE attractive camera with price just 100 USD higher.
Canon EOS 450D / Rebel XSi: what's changed: Digital Photography Review
Ugly back side with 3" LCD , but it's really power machine with a lot of new features and new battery grip.
K200D is too simple. I'm disappointed.

01-24-2008, 10:34 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
K200D has really small buffer for DSLR of 2008 year.
It's really BIG MINUS.
Canon 450D is MORE attractive camera with price just 100 USD higher.
Canon EOS 450D / Rebel XSi: what's changed: Digital Photography Review
Ugly back side with 3" LCD , but it's really power machine with a lot of new features and new battery grip.
K200D is too simple. I'm disappointed.
Is it weather sealed?
Is it stabilized?
Does it have a Raw/jpeg direct switching button?
Does it have the nifty green button to give you amazing flexibility in M mode?

That's all I could spot from a 5 minutes reading of the brochure.

450D has lots of features the K200 does not. K200 has some features the 450D does not.

People will decide which one they buy and I am SURE that the 450D will outsell the K200 by a very very large margin but it won't be because the K200 is too simple IMHO.

Last edited by lol101; 01-24-2008 at 10:43 AM.
01-24-2008, 10:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

things i dont like about the K200D current specs

- decision to stay with CCD technology, i personaly find CMOS a better tool
- decision to drop ISO 3200
- decision to keep a penta-mirror view finder, i mean is it really that hard to stuff a penta prism in there?

things i like

- decision to stay with AA's
- all the other new things they put in there.
01-24-2008, 10:58 AM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
Is it weather sealed?
Is it stabilized?

450D has lots of features the K200 does not. K200 has some features the 450D does not.

People will decide which one they buy and I am SURE that the 450D will outsell the K200 by a very very large margin but it won't be because the K200 is too simple IMHO.

A)NO, but not a big deal for the fair weather entry level market that canon is targeting
B)YES, the kit lens is IS.
C)NO, but the likelihood of 1/10th of the owners even using raw ever let alone needing to switch back and forth rapidly, is nearly nill.
D)NO, again, target market does not need it.

Frankly, I do not use the green button or the raw button much. I shoot raw/M and never use JPG and would rather twist the dials.

Now if you want to compare sensor types...... Af speed..... etc......
Honestly, I cannot figure out why ANYONE would buy the k200d. If you are interested in it, go buy a k10d before they run out of stock. At least then you get the second command wheel.

01-24-2008, 11:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Is it weather sealed?
Is it stabilized?

Weather sealed body is great, however I have impression that superior AF and much much deeper buffer are much higher priority for potential buyers than weather sealing
Kit lens is stabilised
Never used that button on K10D. It's like "Print" button on Canon entry level cameras which they finally dropped in 450D and added direct ISO button Maybe some people find that RAW button useful...
Very nice feature of course, however how many novices will use M lenses?

Also Alfisti on the other forum noticed very precisely: noisy and slow AF on K200D (showrooms usually are not lit well) will scare away 9 out of 10 potential buyers towards absolutely silent Nikon D40x-es and Canon 450D-s
01-24-2008, 11:07 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Yeah, I have to agree it looks kind of weak next to the competition. If they can get the real-world price down to about $200 less than the Canon XSi, though, I think it'll find a nice niche.
01-24-2008, 11:12 AM   #7

Which makes the Canon the perfect camera for a soccer mom, and the k200 the perfect camera for a guy like me, that can't afford a K20 and DA*'s, but still gets a rugged, durable camera and can benefit of buying cheap good quality older used lenses. Not everyone needs faster FPS to take faster crappy shots of their kids/pets/birds/backyard animals and play spec games with his friends

01-24-2008, 01:00 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thiago_silva Quote
Which makes the Canon the perfect camera for a soccer mom, and the k200 the perfect camera for a guy like me, that can't afford a K20 and DA*'s, but still gets a rugged, durable camera and can benefit of buying cheap good quality older used lenses. Not everyone needs faster FPS to take faster crappy shots of their kids/pets/birds/backyard animals and play spec games with his friends
I agree wholeheartedly, as I am in the same situation.

I use metered manual, and I could really do with SR on my 30 year old lenses (a feature you lose with the 450D - granted, most people who buy this camera are not likely to venture beyond their kit lens).
Durability is always a plus, as the plastics on the 400D were quite squeaky. I have my Pentax Optio S to shoot kids/pets/birds and backyard animals with.

If you use your camera to only shoot family events, then you're better off with a P&S.
01-24-2008, 02:04 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I just watched the Pentax-official K200D presentation on Youtube (YouTube - Pentax K200D) and I've gotta say, I'm more impressed now. They've really taken the same attitude as with the K20D and polished a lot of rough spots, right down to including lithium batteries instead of basically-pointless alkalines. The menus have more polish, there's more customizable options, there's better control overall. I do share the concern that they're facing tough competition, but I do hope Pentax sells enough that this approach is rewarded.
01-24-2008, 05:37 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Agreed.

QuoteOriginally posted by SloPhoto Quote
A)NO, but not a big deal for the fair weather entry level market that canon is targeting
B)YES, the kit lens is IS.
C)NO, but the likelihood of 1/10th of the owners even using raw ever let alone needing to switch back and forth rapidly, is nearly nill.
D)NO, again, target market does not need it.

Frankly, I do not use the green button or the raw button much. I shoot raw/M and never use JPG and would rather twist the dials.

Now if you want to compare sensor types...... Af speed..... etc......
Honestly, I cannot figure out why ANYONE would buy the k200d. If you are interested in it, go buy a k10d before they run out of stock. At least then you get the second command wheel.
I'm probably one of the few people who'd be waiting to see if Pentax improved image processing on the K10D first before making wholesale judgments that people should go for the second command dial. Then there are those who'd rather prefer AA batteries than proprietary batteries that may run out of manufacturers later on, as well as people who needs the scene modes to wean them in from the P&Ses they were coming from.

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Yeah, I have to agree it looks kind of weak next to the competition. If they can get the real-world price down to about $200 less than the Canon XSi, though, I think it'll find a nice niche.
Agreed.

QuoteOriginally posted by thiago_silva Quote
Quite an arrogant statement. Pentax isn't the only camera capable of making great photos. I've seen a lot of great pictures taken using Rebels and their universally-panned kit lenses. On the flip side, there are also those who've used K10Ds and fancy lenses to take those crappy shots you were speaking of.

We're forgetting that it's always the photographer that makes a photo excellent.

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
I just watched the Pentax-official K200D presentation on Youtube (YouTube - Pentax K200D) and I've gotta say, I'm more impressed now. They've really taken the same attitude as with the K20D and polished a lot of rough spots, right down to including lithium batteries instead of basically-pointless alkalines. The menus have more polish, there's more customizable options, there's better control overall. I do share the concern that they're facing tough competition, but I do hope Pentax sells enough that this approach is rewarded.
Pentax did a great job of reusing components they already have. It's a win for us consumers since we're looking at lower prices. I do find the $800 asking price quite high, though, relative to the competition.
01-24-2008, 08:51 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Hmm. Looks like he has the DA 55-300 mm on the K200D presentation video on youtube.
01-24-2008, 09:15 PM   #12

The feature Pentax lacks that Canon has now is the Liveview. Had the Pentax installed that and dropped the price by $100 it would have sold like hot cakes. I would hold out and get it however I will most likely get the K10d however I would like to hold the MSi to see what it feels like. If the Evolt was a tad bigger and had a little more weight to it so it would not feel like a toy I would probably go that route. If you want to target the masses for entry level dSLR stick liveview in it. They are already spoiled and want to use that feature yet keep up with the Jones' by flashing their fancy DSLR camera with a mega lens, see it everyday.
01-24-2008, 09:50 PM   #13
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
Is it weather sealed?
Is it stabilized?

1. kit lense of Pentax is not weather sealed, rest DA* weather sealed lenses are too expensive for amateurs. it's good feature, but it's useless without the same lenses.
2. it's not important. I use only RAW
3. it's funny - what about a lot users who never use M lenses?

450D has battery grip with two types of power, for example.
I don't understand why to launch new camera instead of keep producing K10D which much better.
They could make some changes inside and launch K10D super. It has more sense.
01-24-2008, 10:10 PM   #14
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
450D 12.2 MP - 3.5 fps up to 53 JPEG / 6 RAW frames
K200D 10.2 MP - 2.8 fps up to 4 JPEG/ 4 RAW frames
450D is lighter and a bit smaller.

I don't understand why Pentax can't make buffer in 6-9 RAW and unlimited jpeg.
01-25-2008, 08:37 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
450D 12.2 MP - 3.5 fps up to 53 JPEG / 6 RAW frames
K200D 10.2 MP - 2.8 fps up to 4 JPEG/ 4 RAW frames
450D is lighter and a bit smaller.

I don't understand why Pentax can't make buffer in 6-9 RAW and unlimited jpeg.
I wonder if the difference in power between the LI-150 and the AA's matters.