Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2008, 12:53 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax missed opportunity

1300 dollar euro 900 pound for a camera that has only a slightly more res and a not yet prove super IQ, but lacks a lot of the feature the competitos have, it's only a missed opportunity to gain market share and create a path of success.

01-24-2008, 01:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

you're a fool

go slice wrists

01-24-2008, 01:04 PM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have to disagree. And I take some issue with all these negative comments that are coming from some, when they have not shot with the new camera. Is it for everyone? Nope. But Pentax has never been a sports shooters camera, film or DSLR.

I think a 50% + increase in resolution and clean ISO's to what has so far been shown is a huge leap forward. Plus the feature set is well thought out and some big advances.

maybe the biggest issue is all the hype before the press release. Next time Pentax should just build it, tell the NDA guys to keep totally quiet and do a surprise launch.

I'll reserve final judgement when I own one.
01-24-2008, 01:10 PM   #4
m8o
Veteran Member

wow, ignore list with only 3 posts history here (at the moment I write this).... that's a record!

01-24-2008, 01:14 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Ciao

QuoteOriginally posted by jonny1986 Quote
1300 dollar euro 900 pound for a camera that has only a slightly more res and a not yet prove super IQ, but lacks a lot of the feature the competitos have, it's only a missed opportunity to gain market share and create a path of success.
Welcome to the PentaxForums, Canon fanboy! Enjoy your brief stay.

(I hear dpreview.com is much nicer... really)

-Mark

(Sorry, I've mainly been a lurker, but I'm feeling punchy today)
01-24-2008, 01:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
you're a fool

go slice wrists

Not a funny joke.

I myself am slightly disappointed (especially after all the hype here!) but will reserve judgment until I see images with production firmware and use it myself.
01-24-2008, 01:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

You are badly mistaken. Megapixels Does Matter! Especially in customers' mind.

How many customers going to a shop ask for a highest FPS camera?
But when you show them a 14.6 MP camera, and the output image, they would be immediately impressed.

I can say this for certain: Pentax would sell more 14.6MP 3fps camera than 12MP 5fps ones. Remember that even the 450D/XSi has 12MP. So 14.6MP is a key differentiation from the crowd; while fps specs is usually buried deep in a brochure.

01-24-2008, 01:18 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jshurak Quote
Not a funny joke.

I myself am slightly disappointed (especially after all the hype here!) but will reserve judgment until I see images with production firmware and use it myself.
i know two people that tried to commit suicide, they never laughed enough.

taking things seriously leads to stress, stress leads to nervous breakdowns, everyone needs to relax around here...
01-24-2008, 01:18 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Perhaps you should watch this and reassess.
YouTube - Pentax K20D
01-24-2008, 01:19 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
4 extra megapixels is not exactly slightly more resolution (unless you're comparing it to the competition). The K20D doesn't lack any feature the competitors have. They're just not "up to speed", so to say. But then again, that is irrelevant to most photographers.

oooh yes, I could really use 6 fps at weddings and while shooting landscapes
01-24-2008, 01:21 PM   #11
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
YouTube - Pentax K20D
Exactly. This camera seems well thought out. And the 14.6 vs 5-10FPS will sell cameras faster for sure.
01-24-2008, 01:24 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I have to disagree. And I take some issue with all these negative comments that are coming from some, when they have not shot with the new camera. Is it for everyone? Nope. But Pentax has never been a sports shooters camera, film or DSLR.

I think a 50% + increase in resolution and clean ISO's to what has so far been shown is a huge leap forward. Plus the feature set is well thought out and some big advances.

maybe the biggest issue is all the hype before the press release. Next time Pentax should just build it, tell the NDA guys to keep totally quiet and do a surprise launch.

I'll reserve final judgement when I own one.

50 % of resolution more? in the paper but in reality the gains in res is not so big...the high iso clean photos are to be checked, i have seen sample from the dubai trip that show unusable iso 3200.
I'm a proud owner of a pentax k10d. I'm a full time photographer that has choosen pentax for its quality lenses and for the k10d. I'm not a troll and i post in many forum. Sincerely i expected far more from this camera, and at this price is too expensive compared to the other cameras n its class.
01-24-2008, 01:26 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You'd be upset too if you've been a$$-raped by Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Sony and Panasonic for the last 10 years.. I'd surmize it might drive someone to visit the Pentax forums and attempt to crap on their parade..

Ignore the troll.

All else considered - Compare the K20D feature for feature to the competition and then compare the price.
01-24-2008, 01:27 PM   #14
Veteran Member

and what is "unusable"?

and these "dubai" shots

you know they built a fake snow mountain in dubai.....

how about we wait until the camera actualy hits the stores and we get some feedback from the real production models, not this "dubai leaked information yo yo yo"
01-24-2008, 01:31 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
YouTube - Pentax K20D

i watched this video and i'm not reassesed.
i recently bought the new da 16-50 2,8, i 'm ready tobuy many more lenses and i have decided t wrk as afull time photographer using pentax gear. i could have chosen other brands, but i consider k10d a great tools for prie feature.
consider the price of the k20d. is more exepnsive than 40d and alpha 700. slighly less than oly e3 and 300 dollars less than nikon d300. Compare specs of the fourh camera and you will see this camera is overpriced.
everybody claims that IQ is superb and high iso are the best of the world...i have seen some iso 3200 sample and they are not so better than those of canon 40d r nikon d300.
I'll by the camera anyway.