Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
07-07-2012, 09:26 PM   #76
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You know, in Japan there are places where this can be purchased around 40,000 yen = $500 depending on the exchange rate of the day, especially the yellow ones. This camera just didn't seem to fly like K-x and K-r there. Considering where the price was set at in the beginning, it will eventually go closer to $400 in 6 months or so is my guess.

Having handle it extensively in person, I have to say that it is a pain in the ass when shooting outside in bright sunlight if you have to rely on the LCD monitor for composition. I am used to shooting Leica without ever looking through the viewfinder, so I was able to adjust pretty quickly. Stylistically the yellow one I handled looked as though it draws too much attention to the camera itself - just not incognito enough for me. IQ seems no different from K-5, and price being what it is or where it is heading, it is not the worst camera that you can dump your money on if you are satisfied with APS-C set up. With all the QC nonsense of K-5, not that I am in the market but I probably buy this over K-5, even its price approaching $750.

07-08-2012, 03:38 AM   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Really? Because I was using the K-01 recently at noon on a hot, bright sunny summer day without a problem, even had the screen brightness set to -2. The only problem were my polarized sun glasses, which made the camera screen turn black if I tilted it 90 degrees for portrait-type shots
07-08-2012, 06:49 AM   #78
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Really? Because I was using the K-01 recently at noon on a hot, bright sunny summer day without a problem, even had the screen brightness set to -2. The only problem were my polarized sun glasses, which made the camera screen turn black if I tilted it 90 degrees for portrait-type shots
It isn't worth the effort. Just enjoy your camera.
07-08-2012, 06:53 AM   #79
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
With all the QC nonsense of K-5, not that I am in the market but I probably buy this over K-5, even its price approaching $750.

Ow, no, not again... You can't stop, can you?

07-11-2012, 11:28 AM   #80
Veteran Member

I've heard that this was made from deer foreskin, being the explanation for the price.
One deer for 1 pouch made.
07-11-2012, 11:31 AM   #81
Veteran Member

Someone in China will buy this for $300 and produce similar copies and make more than $1,000 or more for selling them!
07-15-2012, 01:01 AM   #82

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
If Leica can get their fanboys to drop $8,000 for a camera that only shoots in black and white, just about anything is possible, really.
Yes, Yes! lol

Come now, everyone knows that that camera is specifically and meticulously fine tuned to create images of black and white that is of such fine quality that it makes any other cameras black and white offerings akin to pig vomit!

Anyway .... Camera Case? Who cares. Expensive camera case? Lame....

07-17-2012, 11:53 PM   #83
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
My guess is, with Newson products Pentax is aiming high-end customers with style, like who has >10k Swiss automatic watches. Like this:

If I am right pouch is priced right.
07-18-2012, 07:43 AM   #84
JPT
Pentaxian

I don't see the harm in this Marc Newson case. These kind of limited edition items are just a kind of publicity stunt. If it gets their cameras mentioned in some magazines outside the camera world and sells a few more K-01s, it's quite smart marketing. You'll notice that they release these things separately from the cameras to get another mention in the press a few months later. Besides, if you think this is expensive, you should see the limited edition pink Loewe Pentax Q case.

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20120423_528673.html

Yes, that is a pink camera for 69,800 yen, a little carry case for 82,950 yen and a lens case for 66,150 yen. I saw it in a department store. I guess a few people with more money than sense will buy it. It gives Loewe a novelty item to display. For Pentax, it gets them noticed by people who wouldn't normally go into a camera shop.
07-18-2012, 07:47 AM   #85
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I don't see the harm in this Marc Newson case. These kind of limited edition items are just a kind of publicity stunt. If it gets their cameras mentioned in some magazines outside the camera world and sells a few more K-01s, it's quite smart marketing. You'll notice that they release these things separately from the cameras to get another mention in the press a few months later. Besides, if you think this is expensive, you should see the limited edition pink Loewe Pentax Q case.

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20120423_528673.html

Yes, that is a pink camera for 69,800 yen, a little carry case for 82,950 yen and a lens case for 66,150 yen. I saw it in a department store. I guess a few people with more money than sense will buy it. It gives Loewe a novelty item to display. For Pentax, it gets them noticed by people who wouldn't normally go into a camera shop.
Now you've gone and done it! My 9 year old daughter was here when I opened that link!

07-18-2012, 07:49 AM   #86
JPT
Pentaxian

If that's your daughter's taste at 9, you're in big trouble!
07-18-2012, 07:54 AM   #87
Veteran Member

If that's your daughter's taste at 9, you're in big trouble!
This I know.
07-18-2012, 08:09 AM   #88
Veteran Member

Will it fit well? Many cases I look at for things such as my Kinlde fit like crap

I will buy it if it fits well

edit...$300 are they fudging crazy!! Forget it.
07-18-2012, 07:33 PM - 1 Like   #89
Pentaxian

I don't see the harm in this Marc Newson case. These kind of limited edition items are just a kind of publicity stunt. If it gets their cameras mentioned in some magazines outside the camera world and sells a few more K-01s, it's quite smart marketing.
I'd say you have to balance the positive (publicity) with the negative (association of the Pentax brand with jerks that have more money than is healthy for most).

I'd prefer Pentax to market potentially brand image damaging items like this using a different brand name. Then people with crazy money could buy their luxury items and Pentaxians could represent someone who makes an informed decision about acquiring quality equipment for a fair price.
07-21-2012, 03:02 AM   #90
Veteran Member

Just yesterday happened to come by another MN design. Perhaps one could drink to forget the K-01?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 4S  Photo