Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
07-28-2012, 06:55 PM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll have a report on the meet up today. Very glad to have gone and what fun to get to really play with stuff, including the 645D. I'm in love...

07-28-2012, 07:12 PM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
I'm headed for the San Francisco event tomorrow. Can't wait!

I was there, at least for the post-presentation festivities. Didn't expect it to be so intimate.
07-29-2012, 06:44 AM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well it was named the hands on tour, and it definitely was all of that.
07-29-2012, 08:31 AM   #49
DAZ
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There has got to be some other meetings happening at these location because the places/times/dates make know sense for showing off cameras. The location that they keep using in Seattle is about the most expensive, difficult place and time to get to in Seattle. They have had more then one of these and I have wanted to go them but not the places they keep going too

DAZ

07-29-2012, 10:10 AM   #50

At least you have the option...the nearest one to the small town i am in (Washington D.C.) is 225 miles north in NYC......
07-29-2012, 10:19 AM   #51
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by toukan Quote
At least you have the option...the nearest one to the small town i am in (Washington D.C.) is 225 miles north in NYC......
Hey, that's all part of the same megalopolis, what's the big deal?

But seriously, I am glad they added the Atlanta stop. My son and I can't wait!
07-30-2012, 01:53 PM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Look what I got to play with!

It was a very nice, interactive even. I didn't win the WGII that was given away but the 30+ of us that attended got to oggle, handle, and shoot all the equipment above and some others like the K-01 and VS20. I took a few shots with my own card with the K-30 and 645D. Nothing great but it was fun to play with them at home as well. I have to say that there is no substitute for putting hands on with these cameras. I got to play with the DA 18-135 WR lens (while I'm really covered in these lengths, it's a very compelling lens), the DA*300 (I wish), and the DA 40 XS (nice but I love my DA40limited too much) lens. My dream camera - the 645D - is just that, it's awesome and feels so DSLR like it's amazing. Ok, I'm only $9,998 dollars short of it.

The presenters indicated several things of note.

1. The K-30 will be the last camera with about 98% it being attributed to purely Pentax designers. The next products will be more of a Ricoh / Pentax mix.
2. There will be no full frame Pentax released this year, and possibly none within the next year either. They are concentrating on APS-C sensors. Keep in mind that this comes from the sales guys here in the U.S. and not Japan so if something happens other than this, I accept no responsibility for this statement.
3. Ricoh is still in the process of integrating Pentax into it's organization.
4. At least here in the U.S. they are trying to get back out to the local camera stores and get Pentax products back on the shelves. In fact, it was suggested that these guys would be presenting similar orientations to some of the local store sales staffs. For me that's good news because just getting them on the shelves is important but getting the sales guys to reach for a Pentax over the other brands is were sales are made.

While I wish that there were more stops on this tour allowing more of you to get the hands on experience, I really got a good vibe at this and actually learned a few things with the presentation (heck I thought I knew it all!).

Thanks Pentax for this. I hope there are more of these in the future.

07-30-2012, 01:58 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Thanks for the update, cannot wait for it to come to NYC.

It is just a "come by" event right, we don't have to sign up anywhere?
07-30-2012, 02:31 PM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The SF one was just show up. I think that's the format. Get there early for extra handling time!
07-30-2012, 02:38 PM   #55
Veteran Member

The SF one was just show up. I think that's the format. Get there early for extra handling time!
I plan to. Humorously the Ricoh store is a block away from my work, and I can escape at 5PM
08-07-2012, 09:32 AM   #56
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JCPentax Quote
While we can't add all the locations requested, we have added another event in the South East US.

Date: August 7th 2012
Time: 6:00 PM est - 8:00 PM est

Grand Hyatt Atlanta in Buckhead
3300 Peachtree Road NE
Atlanta, GA 30305

We hope some of you can attend.

John
Reminder that the Atlanta hands on event is today. See you there!
08-07-2012, 02:47 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Look what I got to play with!

I don't recall seeing a K-5 strap like that (and mine certainly didn't come with one like that); I wonder if Pentax is changing the type of strap....
08-07-2012, 06:26 PM   #58
Veteran Member

The Atlanta Road Show at the Grand Hyatt was terrific. Had a great time. Loved touching the 645 and playing with the Q. Lots of lenses to play with too. Ken and Amber were gracious and very helpful.

I'd like to thank Pentax USA for hearing my comment/complaint about no Southern stops for the K-30 Tour and responding immediately by adding Atlanta.

The Focus Peaking is cool, but I must say that the Astrotracking with the K-30 and the GPS unit was amazing.

Also, apparently ShowCase Photo has signed up again as an AD for Pentax because of this tour stop! They're all the way downtown but its nice to know we have an AD in Atlanta again.
08-07-2012, 06:29 PM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
The Atlanta Road Show at the Grand Hyatt was terrific. Had a great time. Loved touching the 645 and playing with the Q. Lots of lenses to play with too. Ken and Amber were gracious and very helpful.

I'd like to thank Pentax USA for hearing my comment/complaint about no Southern stops for the K-30 Tour and responding immediately by adding Atlanta.

The Focus Peaking is cool, but I must say that the Astrotracking with the K-30 and the GPS unit was amazing.

Also, apparently ShowCase Photo has signed up again as an AD for Pentax because of this tour stop! They're all the way downtown but its nice to know we have an AD in Atlanta again.
Good to hear. I am going to fondle the everliving crap out of that 645D when it gets here to NYC.

Did you get trinkets too?
08-07-2012, 06:32 PM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Good to hear. I am going to fondle the everliving crap out of that 645D when it gets here to NYC.

Did you get trinkets too?
Yes, $100 off local purchase of the K-30 good through 8/21, D-Ring with Pentax Logo and key attachment, Pentax logo pen, and Pentax logoed SPF15 Pomegranate Lip Balm!

Got to try out each lens on my camera, put my SD card in each of their cameras, etc.

Best of all it was a two-fur for me because the Regional Omega watch sales meeting was around the corner They had hot horderves and the wine wasn't too bad either